New National Fees Announced.

12 minutes ago, vtcchokie92 said:

So why are the fees going into effect in August vice when units recharter at the end of the year?  If a new Scout joins in September of 2020, would the pro-rated fees be based off the $60 or the $66?

Purple.  Because reindeer dont eat hammers.  ;)

• Haha 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It worked! She "helped aid the confusion"!

The out-of-pocket annual cost to fully participate in our troop (including registrations, summer camp, 8 weekend campouts, patches and just about everything else but high adventure) is around $1,000.

As I have watched the BSA over these last 50+ years I often wonder Do we raise money to have Scouts OR do we have Scout to be able to raise money?  Seems like so much of the professional time is

Posted Images

Units don't necessarily recharter at the same time. Because units use to recharter when they were created, that was their recharter date. Very very confusing. I've seen the districts organize  the same month for rechartering, but I don't think National has. Of course, I've been out if that part of scouting for a while. . 

Barry

@Eagledad, at least in our District, recharter for all the Packs and Troops occurs in the November timeframe and we usually finish out the payment and paperwork around the Thanksgiving weekend - just before or just after.  I just assumed (bad thing to do, I know) that was the standard across the US.

6 minutes ago, vtcchokie92 said:

@Eagledad, at least in our District, recharter for all the Packs and Troops occurs in the November timeframe and we usually finish out the payment and paperwork around the Thanksgiving weekend - just before or just after.  I just assumed (bad thing to do, I know) that was the standard across the US.

Until several years ago our units recharter  was due by the last day in February.  The council changed the due date on all unit recharters in the council so that all units recharters were due by the last day in December.

• Upvote 1
On 5/30/2020 at 11:25 AM, 5thGenTexan said:

Supposedly from National Communications... "I can't verify that personally"

No photo description available.

This was shown at our council's Town Hall meeting tonight.  It wasn't clear to me, but I think our council will also charge a $12 insurance fee and an $18 activity fee.  Or maybe those fees are part of the $66?

16 minutes ago, swilliams said:

This was shown at our council's Town Hall meeting tonight.  It wasn't clear to me, but I think our council will also charge a $12 insurance fee and an $18 activity fee.  Or maybe those fees are part of the $66?

Anything your council adds is above that $66

Oops, forgot to quote the information I received.  Here it is below;

"The annual youth registration fee will be $180, covering the costs of delivering Scouting locally, the national membership fees, and insurance. Adult fees will increase to $42 and will be payable online for the first time."

3 minutes ago, Midwest Scouter said:

$180 a year for a Youth

What happened to the pronouncement last year that councils could establish an activity fee, but at no more than the amount of the national registration fee??

Or is that $180 the total cost of registration, activity fee, and troop dues for your individual unit?

2 minutes ago, Midwest Scouter said:

Oops, forgot to quote the information I received.  Here it is below;

"The annual youth registration fee will be $180, covering the costs of delivering Scouting locally, the national membership fees, and insurance.

Makes more sense, but that seems like an awfully high insurance fee.  Even if your council activity fee matches the new $66, that leaves $48 for insurance.  Ouch indeed!

@Midwest Scouter, wow that seems a bit excessive.  Up until this point, our Council has not charged an additional fee for individual Scouts.  Our Troop has a Fair Share Payment due each year that covers the costs of running the Troop (camping fees, advancements, etc.) and for any Scouts that have financial hardships we always have volunteers willing to help them with their yearly dues.  $180 or so is what the FOS usually quotes (or close to that) as the average cost to support one Scout throughout the year.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:07 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Anything your council adds is above that $66

That would bring council/national fees to $96.  Our troop has always set fees at $100 (and did so last year, even with the increase).  There's no way we get by only getting $4 from scouts for the year.  That doesn't even cover the cost of the handbook (Troop provided), let alone the class B shirt and neckerchief we give new scouts, rank patches and MB patches, etc.