New National Fees Announced.

For once, my council is getting ahead of this. this was sent in an email today

We just learned this week that on August 1 the following national fees take effect:
  • National Registration Fees - $66 for Scouts and $42 for adults
  • New National Joining Fee – one-time new Scout membership fee of $25
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It worked! She "helped aid the confusion"!

The out-of-pocket annual cost to fully participate in our troop (including registrations, summer camp, 8 weekend campouts, patches and just about everything else but high adventure) is around $1,000.

As I have watched the BSA over these last 50+ years I often wonder Do we raise money to have Scouts OR do we have Scout to be able to raise money?  Seems like so much of the professional time is

Posted Images

Saw the same thing

Last week, the Boy Scouts of America announced that the annual membership fee for youth and young adult participants will increase from $60 to $66 effective August 1, 2020. There will also be a onetime BSA joining fee for new members of $25. If a Scout has been registered in the last five years, BSA will not charge the new member fee. In addition, BSA plans to increase the membership fee to $72 on August 1, 2021, and to $75 on August 1, 2022. No fee increases are planned past 2022. 

Sooo.. I thought the effort was to bring in NEW members, I guess they figure that in addition to joining BSA (amidst all the lawsuits) they will feel privileged to give an additional $25.  Brilliant thinking

• Upvote 3

It's good to see that they are giving us early notice through 2022.  I expect councils, summer camp and High Adventure bases (that remain) will jack up their fees as well. 

One would think the charges would be a bit reversed (ie, new scouts, a $25 discount).   New scouts are already buying uniforms, books, patches, etc... so adding an additional fee for them doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Saw the same thing

Last week, the Boy Scouts of America announced that the annual membership fee for youth and young adult participants will increase from $60 to $66 effective August 1, 2020.

If they are getting rid of the 18-20 year old youth participant category, then what is a "Young Adult participant"? Aren't there just going to be youth and adults? 

And don't forget councils will charge their own $66.00 "activity fee" per scout and $42/adult as National has already allowed councils to match up to the National fees last year.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, PACAN said:

And don't forget councils will charge their own $66.00 "activity fee" per scout and $42/adult as National has already allowed councils to match up to the National fees last year.

Indeed.  My council already announced $60.  So for us a new scout in Sept is $22 prorated national, $25 new scout, and $20 council for $67at sign up then $126 in October/November for recharter.  Almost $200 lift the first two months plus unis and stuff.  

The out-of-pocket annual cost to fully participate in our troop (including registrations, summer camp, 8 weekend campouts, patches and just about everything else but high adventure) is around $1,000.  This is paid through dues, activity fees and fundraising, which in our troop is an annual fundraising event.  We give a troop FOS gift to the council.  So this increase will be a piddling amount against our overall budget.  New members will pay the $25 without issue.  It is the cost of doing business, and is mainly our insurance.  If the council would prefer a fee instead of FOS, that is fine with us.  They need and deserve the support and we will provide support either way.  You have a few auto accidents and your auto insurance increases.  Same here.

Scouting is still “dirt cheap” in comparison to all of the other options for families out there.  There are a lot of middle class families out there that spend many multiples of our annual costs on just a couple of “travel team”, kid pageant, cheerleader camps, unneeded prestige bicycles or gym shoes.  I have no problem with this.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

Where I am at, an extremely rural area with the median household income for 4 is Approx $42K. A lot of folks can barely afford Scouting. And COVID is going to make it worse.

On a Positive note, someone is listening,National gave us the price increase for this year 2 months before Round Ups start, and told us the 8-1-21 price and 8-1-22 price in advance,

@Cburkhardt, if you passed along my suggestiut folks can bon ot the powers that be, THANK YOU! The price increase will hurt, budget and prepare.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

A lot of folks can barely afford Scouting. 

True.  Many can't afford it already.  The skyrocketing unemployment rate isn't going to make it any easier.  I don't know who these guys are trying to fool when they tell us that scouting families won't have any problem with the increase.

• Upvote 2

@Cburkhardt  you are very fortunate to have the unit you have with apparently zero resource issues.    My guess is that you are in the minority of units.     With a 1/3 reduction in the youth membership (LDS included) this year a number of units have likely folded.    The continued comparison the "other activities" that middle class families spend their money on is a tired argument.   Raising the cost of service is a part of doing business but you cannot assume the "don't worry, be happy" increase will even keep those in the program, in the program.  If the service and/or product is not attractive you are done.

The organization needs to right size itself.  We wil never have 4 million youth again.   It needs to do a risk assesssment of the impact of their decision instead of the usual "all in favor" method.   These figureheads on the national EB are in the business world where they do risk assessments every day.   

JMHO. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
fix cburkhardt notification
  • Upvote 3