Major Changes Announced -- Councils Impacted

5 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I don't think they care if BSA exists after the lawsuits or not....

Actually the lead lawyer stated in an NPR interview on the Diane Rheem (sp) Show that he wants the BSA dissolved . It is towards the end of the interview, and if you end early, you miss it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed. Lets rip the bandaid off. We need to put these cases behind us for good, and protect the CO's from potential liability. I hope my council participates in the settlement. Ideally try to keep lo

Where to begin. I no longer trust professionals in general.  This is sad because I used to be one, and know there are some out there who do care about the movement. But they either burn out tryin

I hope that being back on topic is not the kiss of death.  🤪 Baden-Powell developed a game with a purpose.  Now we seek to preserve the game in order to continue fulfilling the purpose.  Before B

Posted Images

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

I am a natural skeptic, and I take only about 10 percent of what I see on these pages as something to more than peruse.  Having been on this board longer than most, I watched the drama between a number of posters that became sometimes almost abusive, and often hard to fathom or believe.  The tendency of too many of us, and I am sure I have so exhibited at times, is to become bull headed and not willing to "listen" and "consider".  This in turn leads to stalemates and often jaded attitudes and eventually to lack of involvement.  But it also often becomes a crusade by the few, the ones that are like the proverbial dog with its bone.  I cannot help but fear we have a few posters on here that may be foxes in the henhouse, pushing snippets of rumor and negative issues from the drawn out legal issues.  Some seem almost to be virtually laughing and smiling at the worst of the possible outcomes.  As I keep trying to stay focussed on local program, I hope that the more rational and silent supporters may somehow find a voice.  

Skeptic, well said.  I myself have certainly engaged in some of these behaviors. 

Yes, I'd say there is a dose of schadenfreude running through these discussions.   I'd chalk it up to this:  many of us have been loyal to scouting for years.  Decades for some.  We've done our best to provide a program worthy of the founder's original vision.  We've done this despite obstacles put before us by pros, mostly above the DE level, and vols that sit on high level boards.  I don't think the upper management of the BSA has been as loyal.  Not as loyal as the unit level folks.  Despite feedback from the field, years of negative media attention, huge financial set backs, and plummeting membership, they have persisted in their mismanagement of our once great organization.

So the chickens have come home to roost.  The initiatives from this national meeting are about 15 years too late. 

As for the foxes, I think their efforts have value.  Discussion generated is robust, and it does seem therapeutic.  And apparently some of our opinions have been observed by upper management.  I'm a skeptic myself...I rather doubt our opinions will change much.  They haven't listened to us for years--why would they begin now?  But at least we'll have our say.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 4
13 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

I don't think the upper management of the BSA has been as loyal.  Not as loyal as the unit level folks.  Despite feedback from the field, years of negative media attention, huge financial set backs, and plummeting membership, they have persisted in their mismanagement of our once great organization.

Very true.  I think upper management has to go.  If this can be accomplished without liquidating BSA, that would be great.  If not, then liquidating BSA might be the only good option.  We can rebuild after a liquidation.  WOSM isn't going to give up on having scouting in the USA.  

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

The big talk right now is fees going up to $66 in August. Honestly, they could've raised it 1 cent and you will see an exodus just based on principle. 

This will be hard to swallow with the $60 service fee my council has implemented.  In two years the annual dues will have increased from $36 to $72 to $126?!?!?!

21 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

This will be hard to swallow with the $60 service fee my council has implemented.  In two years the annual dues will have increased from $36 to $72 to $126?!?!?!

Seriously? $66? For what purpose, to be paid over during the settlement?

I've been thinking about my FOS contributions. If the organization is going to go bankrupt and slimmed down, where will that money be going? The settlement fund? 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, desertrat77 said:

After long consideration, I've written my last FOS check.  From now on any time or treasure I donate, as humble as it may be, will be in support of local units only.

That's the beauty of the Council Service Fee, they are selling it by eliminating the Family FOS campaign.  Not FOS mind you, just the campaign.  Oh, and the fees for tent camping at council property, which were double the local state parks.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

From now on any time or treasure I donate, as humble as it may be, will be in support of local units only.

We have lost a lot of respected Scouters over the past few years. Don't ask them for FOS, council Eagle/UoS luncheon, popcorn, etc. But they see you selling spaghetti dinner tickets for a troop fundraiser, they'll pay for dinners to be given to local first responders.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

That's the beauty of the Council Service Fee, they are selling it by eliminating the Family FOS campaign.  Not FOS mind you, just the campaign.  Oh, and the fees for tent camping at council property, which were double the local state parks.

It seems the council is out of touch with reality...unfortunately, there are others adopting the same "strategy." 

25 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

I've got no problem with the FOS campaign. Like any other charities I support a value transparency in what my donation goes to. In my council, I feel good about what FOS is used for.  With the bankruptcy, money collected for other purposes may go towards the settlement. 

It's a catch 22. I stop contributing, it hurts council programs today. I keep contributing, the money possibly goes to a settlement fund, and not the purposes I had intended. 

• Upvote 1

In the video they state …

"End youth programs at 18 and build a volunteer corp for adults at 18."

I'll be interested to hear what that looks like and if we can leverage them as adult leaders.  If so, that could be a win as I think we lose young adults who could serve as leaders.

"Create membership category to allow families and individuals to join special programs developed by councils."

Also looking to see what this would be.  I'm curious what they meant by this statement.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Also looking to see what this would be.  I'm curious what they meant by this statement.

My guess are council paid membership programs. I.E. scoutreach, restoring the village, etc. 

• Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

In the video they state …

"End youth programs at 18 and build a volunteer corp for adults at 18."

I'll be interested to hear what that looks like and if we can leverage them as adult leaders.  If so, that could be a win as I think we lose young adults who could serve as leaders.

"Create membership category to allow families and individuals to join special programs developed by councils."

I too hope the young adults are offered meaningful roles.  It would be a shame to run them off by not giving them any responsibility.

"Special programs"...this sounds suspiciously like the BSA's failed attempt at soccer.   Perhaps it's another attempt to gain dollars and membership without the youth participating in traditional scouting.  Of course, the problem with things like BSA soccer is that other organizations are already offer programs, and do so in a more efficient manner.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Actually the lead lawyer stated in an NPR interview on the Diane Rheem (sp) Show that he wants the BSA dissolved . It is towards the end of the interview, and if you end early, you miss it.

It's this line of thinking by legal counsel that got me thinking about BSA trademarks yesterday.  If everything gets liquidated, I could foresee a wealthy individual who is anti-BSA buying the Eagle Scout TM.  Then they'd hold on to it, not using it themselves, and but granting anyone else the right to use it either.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1