Major Changes Announced -- Councils Impacted

Surely materials will get distributed after this week.  There were over 2,000 people listening to the broadcast today and all council Key-3s discuss it tomorrow. There is no secret about any of this.  

I heard the following quote: "Everyone is going to become an adult at 18, and we are no longer going to have youth programming for 18 year-olds".  So I think that means the ambiguous status of 18- 21's will be over.

Did not mention this earlier, but not surprisingly, councils can grant advancement extension of 3 months in order for Scout to earn Life and Eagle.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed. Lets rip the bandaid off. We need to put these cases behind us for good, and protect the CO's from potential liability. I hope my council participates in the settlement. Ideally try to keep lo

Where to begin. I no longer trust professionals in general.  This is sad because I used to be one, and know there are some out there who do care about the movement. But they either burn out tryin

I hope that being back on topic is not the kiss of death.  🤪 Baden-Powell developed a game with a purpose.  Now we seek to preserve the game in order to continue fulfilling the purpose.  Before B

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Cburkhardt said:

OA folks who are over 18 are pretty-much acting in adult roles except for the chiefs above the council level -- and many of them are college aged.  Frankly, those above-council youth structures will probably be downsized (no sections/areas/regions any more) because they are expensive to operate and require robust regional program volunteers and staff -- which will no longer exist.  Probably a national Chief/Vice Chief and a few others to represent whatever structure they coe up with the be between the council and national.  OA folks will be encouraged to become active in their Councils, which will be larger and offer a more-sophisticated leadership challenge for the chapter/lodge chiefs.   

Most of the chapter officers like chief, secretary, ceremonies chair, around here are the 16-19 crowd. The lodge officers are 18-20 years old.  I don't see very many 17 year old scouts with the experience or maturity to run a 4,000 member lodge. Even with the best of help. I fear we will see the Order run by adults even more than it is now. Which means the scouts will leave it even faster.

On a smaller scale note, the five best ceremonalists on the four chapters in my area are all over 18.

They are the ones who do most of the teaching, encouraging, and occasional rebuking.  If we lose them "gonna be in a whole world o trouble "

• Upvote 4

Extremely Simplified Timing of the Bankruptcy.

In November the claims date passes and the total number of claims is calculated, including what the Bankruptcy court thinks they are valued at.

In December the plaintiff attorneys get full access to the council financial information.

In the spring the parties either (1) agree to the amount national and the councils will pay into the trust fund, or (2) the parties litigate what the "essential" national and council assets are, and the plaintiffs get everything else.  I believe agreement is not possible, because the plaintiffs are out to liquidate the BSA.

After the litigation, the national and council properties are liquidated by the court to make the required payments to the trust fund.  Some councils pay less/keep more because they had lower numbers  of serious claims filed related to their geographic territories.

The BSA emerges from bankruptcy and re-brands itself.

Old Scout:  It seems that the OA can evolve its culture to allow more adult active participation.  Or, it can re-emphasize chapters, which are more manageable for 17 year-olds.  There is not much fellowship at lodge activities when 2,000 people attend.   

1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

Scouting/USA coming back from the dead?! Get your red berets, gents!

Carebear, I'm sure you recall those red berets made great pot holders, especially when frying bacon in an aluminum Trail Chef skillet.  :) 

As for what the future holds, I'm of the opinion "so let it be."  Let's meet our obligations in a scout-like manner, and then relaunch a program that resembles something Baden Powell and Green Bar Bill would recognize. 

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 2

How does camp liquidation work?  My local camp is not Council owned, its on Corps property.  Do they sell what they can and then put the property back like it was when the camp was established?  Or something else?

5th Gen:  The Bankruptcy court will appoint a Trustee, who will be charged with marshalling and selling the assets that have been agreed by the parties to be liquidated to contribute to the Victims Trust Fund.  If there is no agreement, the parties will litigate what is "essential" to continue the program, and the Judge will decide what can be kept.  In that case the Trustee will sell everything else and deposit the cash in the Victims Trust Fund.  The BSA does not own the Corps property, so it is not an asset.  If there is personal property of the BSA on that land (vehicles, canoes, basketry kits), it is subject to being sold by the trustee.  After the personal property sale, the camp can be restored by new contributions afterwards (as long as the Corps agrees).

10 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

As for what the future holds, I'm of the opinion "so let it be."  Let's meet our obligations in a scout-like manner, and then relaunch a program that resembles something Baden Powell and Green Bar Bill would recognize.

I think the commenters who have urged this approach are going to get their wish.  We are going to be a smaller, simplified organization after this with a dramatically slimmed-down cost structure.  Few properties to fund, not many executives and on-line materials.  Probably simple, inexpensive uniforms.  Volunteers running most things.  My Troop won't notice much change.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Cburkhardt said:

There will be complete emphasis on "outdoor fun" and a backing-away from "character building".

In the phrase "game with a purpose" I like the outdoor fun aspect but I wonder what the purpose will be. That's the key for me.

18 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

You mean when I ask a question from Council employees and they ignore me or when the DE ignores me or at least doesnt follow up and I have to figure it out on my own.  Its going to be like that?  🤣

What this means is that the volunteer in charge will ignore you and not get back to you and then you can figure it our on your own!

11 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Is that different from what is already posted on the BSA's COVID-19 FAQs page?

Looks like it is the same thing.

• Haha 1