Poor Performing Committee Chair

I am only a Cubmaster.  What do I do about a Committee Chair doing a half-ass job in their role?

Committee Chair has expired YPT

2 new Committee members this year (after Jan) don't have applications turned in, one never received an application.

Committee chair wants things done a certain way, but then never follows through on execution.  Things are talked about and then never followed through.

I understand this is a weird year, but we havent talked about a planning meeting or budget meeting and we are just about 1/2 way through May.

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am only a Cubmaster.  What do I do about a Committee Chair doing a half-ass job in their role?

Committee Chair has expired YPT

2 new Committee members this year (after Jan) don't have applications turned in, one never received an application.

Committee chair wants things done a certain way, but then never follows through on execution.  Things are talked about and then never followed through.

I understand this is a weird year, but we havent talked about a planning meeting or budget meeting and we are just about 1/2 way through May.

Say they must step down if they do not complete YPT quickly? YPT is a requirement to hold the position I believe.

Go to your COR/IH.  Committee Chair at the Pack level is the position they appoint, and cubmaster is appointed by them, so you are unfortunately not on equal footing here to deal with it yourself.  Not having valid YPT is not okay.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

First, be kind.  Every person you know is fighting a great battle. Including you.  What is their battle?

Present them with facts and ask them to follow through.  Offer to help only if you can (don't put another rock in your own rucksack).  Focus on behavior, not the individual.

"You said you would do X by the end of March.  It isn't done.  How can I help you complete the task?"

A word of caution...make sure your own house is in order first...

I am constantly managing our Committee Chair, but events in his personal life are understandably distracting him.  We have no functioning COR.  So, I am de facto COR and CC while being SM.  Ain't nobody got time for that ;)

16 hours ago, mashmaster said:

It is kinda a fact of life.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
wording
  • Upvote 2

I'm surprised they were allowed to recharter?  A valid YPT is required to recharter for all registered members.  Our council and district training people begin hounding you 90 days before your YPT is going to expire to make sure you get it renewed.  They're quite explicit with us in their reminders--if you allow your YPT to expire in the middle of the year, you are not permitted to participate in Scouting activities until you get it renewed.  They also copy the unit's training person as well as the unit Key 3 (although in this case, the CC is one of the Key 3).

On 5/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, HashTagScouts said:

Go to your COR/IH.  Committee Chair at the Pack level is the position they appoint, and cubmaster is appointed by them, so you are unfortunately not on equal footing here to deal with it yourself.  Not having valid YPT is not okay.

THIS IS THE ANSWER. As CM, you have that as an option.

You should also reach out to your unit commissioner. 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Cleveland Rocks said:

I'm surprised they were allowed to recharter?  A valid YPT is required to recharter for all registered members.  Our council and district training people begin hounding you 90 days before your YPT is going to expire to make sure you get it renewed.  They're quite explicit with us in their reminders--if you allow your YPT to expire in the middle of the year, you are not permitted to participate in Scouting activities until you get it renewed.  They also copy the unit's training person as well as the unit Key 3 (although in this case, the CC is one of the Key 3).

We rechartered Dec 31 and his YPT expired at the end of March.

Would it be inappropriate for me to call out everyone in our leadership in a committee message reminding those that have YPT expiring in the next few months so I am not singling him out?  Even though he outta be singled out?   And I understand this is not the job of the CM, but I tend to find things that need to be done and do them.  Its my nature.

47 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Would it be inappropriate for me to call out everyone in our leadership in a committee message reminding those that have YPT expiring in the next few months so I am not singling him out?  Even though he outta be singled out?   And I understand this is not the job of the CM, but I tend to find things that need to be done and do them.  Its my nature.

I wouldn't necessarily take it on your shoulders that everyone in the unit is up to date, but you can certainly make sure your DLs are all set, and then send it off as a report to the committee as a general statement for their next committee meeting (assuming they even have them) - "just making you aware" type of message.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

First, be kind.  Every person you know is fighting a great battle. Including you.  What is their battle?

Present them with facts and ask them to follow through.  Offer to help only if you can (don't put another rock in your own rucksack).  Focus on behavior, not the individual.

"You said you would do X by the end of March.  It isn't done.  How can I help you complete the task?"

A word of caution...make sure your own house is in order first...

I am constantly managing our Committee Chair, but events in his personal life are understandably distracting him.  We have no functioning COR.  So, I am de facto COR and CC while being SM.  Ain't nobody got time for that ;)

I am kind, trust me.  My experiences were all before this.  When I had to be Cubmaster, Den Leader, and Committee chair because they couldn't or wouldn't do their job.  So that is my experience.  I was kind by helping carry their load.  

When I have committee members sign up to do things and not follow through which lets the youth down, I am there to pick up the pieces.  Because I am hear for the youth.  I am not doing this for the adults.

So let me know how I am not being kind?

10 hours ago, mashmaster said:

I am kind, trust me.  My experiences were all before this.  When I had to be Cubmaster, Den Leader, and Committee chair because they couldn't or wouldn't do their job.  So that is my experience.  I was kind by helping carry their load.  

When I have committee members sign up to do things and not follow through which lets the youth down, I am there to pick up the pieces.  Because I am hear for the youth.  I am not doing this for the adults.

So let me know how I am not being kind?

mashmaster, you missed my intent.  I was answering the OP.  At the end, I quoted you to agree that these situations are a fact of life... 

29 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

mashmaster, you missed my intent.  I was answering the OP.  At the end, I quoted you to agree that these situations are a fact of life... 

Ah gotcha, sorry I misunderstood you 🙂 

Carry on scouting!

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

It IS in your lane to say “If you have any contact with youth, your youth protection must be current. Please attend to it, I’d hate to have to remove you from an event for it. “

• Upvote 1