Open summer camp as a service ...

to essential workers?

Follow CDC and state guidelines for child care facilities similar to what the YMCA is currently doing, as well as state camp guidelines. It would not be a moneymaker nor an advancement factory.  Camp would be downsized and basic - focused on fun and outdoors.  Social distances limits group sizes  to 10 (patrol size) per area (classroom, campsite). Patrol camping.

We would be helping others and learning how to make our camps safe with this new threat.

Essential workers would have to press their state governments to extend child care to camps. If that happens,  Councils would have to adapt quickly to provide that service.

Maybe?

My $0.01,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Not familiar of what the YMCA is doing but I think there could be some hiccups with this.   Are you saying open a council property to non scout families?  

Then you have the argument of who exactly is deemed essential.  I work for a trucking company and am having to work from home to ensure freight keeps moving.  Everyone who has a job is technically essential as their family probably depends on that job income. 

If its a BSA camp are we still going to follow YPT rules?  Will adults be required to attend with camper?  That defeats the purpose of it being a day care.  Parents already think BSA stands for Babysitters of America(this is  a myth we dispel at the 1st meeting). 

• Upvote 1

If anything and council camps don't happen, I think the camps should try to schedule scouts to come in small groups and do work days.  Like they do on OA service days.   Lots of scouts hurting for service and conservation projects right now.  Money is probably the one hold up from massive undertakings happening. 

22 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

Not familiar of what the YMCA is doing but I think there could be some hiccups with this.   Are you saying open a council property to non scout families?  

Then you have the argument of who exactly is deemed essential.  I work for a trucking company and am having to work from home to ensure freight keeps moving.  Everyone who has a job is technically essential as their family probably depends on that job income. 

If its a BSA camp are we still going to follow YPT rules?  Will adults be required to attend with camper?  That defeats the purpose of it being a day care.  Parents already think BSA stands for Babysitters of America(this is  a myth we dispel at the 1st meeting). 

Scouts could provisional, just like a normal summer camp. I’m sure there would be a decent amount of adults to volunteer to “oversee patrols.” This actually could be beneficial. Let’s say patrols were made up from various different troops. It would lead to scouts having to get to know each other and come together as a patrol. 

Simple, whoever qualifies as an essential worker for childcare in that state.  BSA membership would not be required as it is a service to essential workers, but who knows we might get some new members from this come fall. 

Since it is a service to others, how many Scouters or other adults step up is a good question.

The camp would follow health and safety (including insurance) guidelines as defined by state authorities, no need to over complicate with redundant process and paperwork such as GTSS, NCAP, ACA certification,... 

All kids would carry a mask. If you look at a childcare facility, kids often do not wear masks as they maintain social distance. If kids get too close, adults who are required to wear masks, calmly tell to put their masks on. Kids learn fast.

Likely a kid will have to bring own tent. One kid per tent.

Another point, the served group already understands the risks.

Small steps.

Another $0.01,

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarity

Per CDC: "...essential service providers, such as first responders, healthcare workers, transit workers, and other industries where a parent cannot stay home"

So, basically, opening this up to kids of parents who cannot work at home.