Tech based Eagle service project

Hi,

I was looking to get some ideas and information on tech related or event related service projects for scouts on their eagle path. Under the COVID-19 circumstances, it may not be feasible to gather small groups of scouts to work on a  project. Instead a virtual leadership project that solves a problem for a non profit, while enhancing leadership skills is what i am looking for. Anyone have experinece with this? or reccommendations or experience?

@Shameed79, welcome to the forums! Here's one that might fit the bill ...

Click here to my reply to a discussion on working with post-modern nomads (that's my term that I recommend instead of the m-word or gen-whatever.)

A lot of organizations and municipalities need some major help with archiving old materials, etc ... and doing so demands a lot of leadership and communication skills from a a scout.

Best of luck in the idea search!

Edited by qwazse

I’m just throwing this out there, but could a local nonprofit not have a website? The local organization that charters us did not have a website, so I made one and it increased hall rentals. (this was not my eagle project)

It could show leadership by having scouts help organize and condense information and pictures. This would be on top of the constant communication with the beneficiary, even more than a typical project. 

Just throwing it out there. May not seem like a huge leadership role, but it’s the only technology based one I can think of.

3 hours ago, Shameed79 said:

... tech related ... service projects ...

Tech related eagle projects can be difficult for Eagle candidates to keep control of planning, developing and leading.  It really depends on the tech project, but many of these projects require special skill and do not lend cleanly out to leading by a non-tech expert.  Scouts become too dependent on individual adults with special skills to plan and organize.  Also, scouts often become too dependent on individual adults to invest many hours.  

I've seen too many scouts that loose control of their project because the nature of the work just doesn't lend to the scout leading the project.  I fear many tech projects fall into that pattern.

• Upvote 1

I got to agree with Fred 110%. I have seen too many Eagles lose control of their projects. Unless the Scout has a lot of time and patience to teach folks what to do or it is something within the grasp of Scouts, I would not recommend.

One tech heavy project I saw was an Eagle repairing/rebuilding a car to donate to a local charity. It took him something like 18 months, and every time a new batch of Scouts came to help, he had to show them how to use tools, remove automotive parts, etc.

Another tech project I saw done was building mobile gaming stations for a hospital. All of the Scouts knew how to assemble and connect the equipment from their personal expereince.

I’m going to disagree with Fred and Eagle 94.

It depends on the Scout and the adult leaders.

My project, way back in the day, was not high tech, but had a lot of very specialized craftsmen. I did a lot of planning, site drawings and sat down with the craftsman multiple times to go over options. When the project began my Scoutmaster made sure they knew that I needed to be the leader. I directed and lead them. When we hit a snag, they would come to me and we discussed options, but I made the decisions. 

My son did a digital video with high end video, audio and editing equipment that was on loan, rented or purchased. He brought in people to teach the scouts how to film, do lighting and audio. The scouts did 100%!of the pre-production under his supervision. He did story boards, laid out the shot sheet and directed the production. He delegated task to other youth with clear direction on a number of things. Post-production was done by an adult because of cost and complexity of the equipment and skills needed. He went through hours of time coded video and made a detailed edit list for the editor to follow and sat with him to direct the final edits, music and audio. 

Technical projects are possible. The Scout and adults just need to know who is in charge. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
  • Upvote 1