Help with comparing fit/style on pants options.

My daughter has a pair of vintage BSA uniform pants like these ones. They are a youth size 12. They fit her better than literally any other pants she has ever owned. She has always been a bit curvy in the hips (even as a toddler) even though she is slim everywhere else, and getting pants that keep her booty covered has always been difficult. 

I'm looking at the new girls' pants with the roll up cuffs, and I think she'd really like those but I wonder how they would fit. She likes these pants and I'm getting her an extra pair on eBay so she doesn't need to save them for uniform wear. Does anybody who is familiar with the fit on these pants know how it compares to the same size in the girls' capris that are available now? What about other available styles of pants (current or retired)? 

Our scout shop is of course shut down so I can't take her down to try them on. She has outgrown all her long pants during the shutdown except these, and she's a little hard to fit so I'm kind of stuck. Can't take her shopping as all the shops are closed, and can't easily order pants online unless I know ahead of time how the fit will be. 

I wish I could find the same style in cub scout blue. They'd go with more of her regular clothes. 

318577-MM14959.jpg

Having dealt with tremendous numbers of older pants myself, I can almost guarantee you won't find anything that fits the same as those pants did. That cut and style was very much a product of its time (circa the 1980's), and is now woefully out of fashion. For the most part that's a good thing, as that style just did NOT seem to fit any boy I ever met, what with the slim waist and larger carriage area leading to the wide pant legs - boys just aren't shaped like that, and the design had long baffled me (even when I was a Scout and wore that very style myself I thought them distastefully goofy). I never realized until this post that such would be perfect for a lady's proportions ... but in any case no, you aren't likely to find anything that fits like that in the modern designs (though I have a box of pants in the same style I wish I could hand over to you!). 

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I'll pay shipping if you have them in youth 12 or 14. LOL! 

They fit her PERFECTLY. Most girls her age don't have that hourglass shape that she was born with. Everything is either too snug in the hips, causing it to ride down and show crack, or too loose in the waist, causing the same problem, and 90% of girls pants are low-rise, making it even worse. These ones fit her comfortably and are very flattering. She just looks so sharp in her uniform!!

-Elizabeth

One nice thing about that style pants, because of the elastic, you can go up a size, and with the larger sizes go up 2, in the waist.  Those were the ones I sold when I worked National Supply, and I always told parents to try a size larger, and hem the pants high so they can be let down as they grow.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

That pair is actually slightly different, but it might have the same cut. Those have the pockets off to the sides, whearas the pair she likes so much has the pockets right on the front of the thighs. 

I bought the ones she has now on eBay, just bought another pair in a size up, and am watching a couple more size 12s. :) 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Liz said:

That pair is actually slightly different, but it might have the same cut. Those have the pockets off to the sides, whearas the pair she likes so much has the pockets right on the front of the thighs. 

I bought the ones she has now on eBay, just bought another pair in a size up, and am watching a couple more size 12s. :) 

The pockets-on-the-side are an earlier version (I bought a pair in '85), and I believe the pockets-on-front were fielded a bit later in the '80s.  I bought a pair of the latter, new at a scout shop, as late as 2007. 

The pockets/side version didn't have elastic in the waist band, if memory serves.

As mentioned, ebay is the place to go.  The shorts I got from ebay were practically brand new.  Didn't pay much more than 10 dollars per pair, with minimal postage. 

Edited by desertrat77
8 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

The pockets-on-the-side are an earlier version (I bought a pair in '85), and I believe the pockets-on-front were fielded a bit later in the '80s.  I bought a pair of the latter, new at a scout shop, as late as 2007. 

Late 1980s/early 1990s did away with the cargo pockets, but added elastic. People wanted the cargo pockets back. Instead of placing them where they were in the 1980s, the decided to put them on the front sometime circa 1998/99. I remember getting a pair of pants without cargo pockets in 1996-1997 when I worked for supply part time. When I  went back to work for them full time in 2000, I had to get the new pants with cargo pockets on the front.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

So, I just got back from my local Scout Shop where I tried on the new uniform pants they just issued (luckily I am trim enough to fit into the youth sizes; leader sizes still haven't come in). And you know what? I actually LOVE them! For once, the pants are fitted comfortably with a nice stretch fabric, and they hit just at the knee, giving a slim, trim fit that looks great! Good job for once, national!

On 4/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, The Latin Scot said:

That cut and style was very much a product of its time (circa the 1980's), and is now woefully out of fashion. 

Actually the ones with elastic were from the mid/late 1990’s. The ones from the ‘80s didn’t have the elastic bands on waste/hips.