Are the scouts not interested or just not seem to be interested? Appearances can be deceiving. I would start by having a conversation with the scout...

"Hi Jimmy", good to  see you. I have noticed you haven't been to our last couple of activities. We missed you. Everything going ok?"

• Upvote 1

You could also try asking why the Scout did not attend.  Maybe the Scout had a conflicting event (Are some dates/weekends better than others?).  Or perhaps the Scout was not interested in the particular activities (Are there other activities that the Scout would be interested in?  Has the Scout communicated this to his/her PL?).

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Like 1

There are approx. 10 Scouts in this patrol and 2 or 3 are active the rest show up 5 times to meetings (all year) and 0 times to campouts.   3 are showing up to the meetings now because they are ready to get their Eagle rank.  

Edited by Slytherin

The SM conference and BOR are chances to get feedback on your program.  The #1 reason that Scouts become inactive is "boring meetings".  If they are sitting in chairs being "talked at", they will leave.  Also, many kids are "overscheduled" these days...with school, band, sports, etc.  I always told them "show up when you can"...if they were otherwise active in a worthwhile activity.  But if they would rather sit at home and play video games, that's up to the parents.

• Upvote 2

Who decided who would be in this "patrol"?

The "Patrol Leader" was elected by the "patrol" members?

How does this "patrol" plan its unique patrol activities?

How do the wishes of this "patrol's" member find its way into troop program?

• Upvote 1

"But if they would rather sit at home and play video games, that's up to the parents."

What they would rather do is largely up to them.  I have seen parents' efforts to coerce their children into Scouting.  The kids typically figure out how to escape.  E.g.: "Dad, I would really, really rather go on the campout this weekend, but if I don't study more for my test in AP algebra that's coming on Monday, I cannot do better than a 'C.' "

•