Covid and Summer Camp 2020

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

Its early April.  I expect by end of May (7 weeks from now) we will have many of those things in place.  Perhaps not in all states, but enough that will allow many summer camps to run.  I could see those camps limit participants to only scouts from the state or within a limited range … but I would be surprised if 100% of camps are closed all summer.  I would also expect dates in July and August are more likely to operate than June.

I actually believe high adventure is a bigger risk.  That brings in scouts throughout the country, including mixing scouts between high and low covid-19 areas.  That seems to be a much bigger risk than having scouts within a specific region go to summer camp.

Yeah I’m not too sure if high adventure camps are the best idea for this summer.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

qwaze, you are misunderstanding the concept of "herd immunity".  The term arises from production animal medicine where producers want to minimize losses among livestock for economic reasons. It i

@Ronmass welcome to the forum.  My thoughts on summer camps is that they are not likely to happen this summer. At least not in my area, at least not on time. Maybe in July or August. A couple thi

Actually, if your doc's office is open (and you're asymptomatic and have have been well isolated ...), now is a great time to get a physical. The waiting rooms have never been so well cleaned, and the

55 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I actually believe high adventure is a bigger risk.  That brings in scouts throughout the country, including mixing scouts between high and low covid-19 areas.  That seems to be a much bigger risk than having scouts within a specific region go to summer camp.

This has been what I've been thinking about..with folks coming in from everywhere it'll be tough to do.  Especially if Covid-19 is still active.

We are supposed to go to Sea Base in early June.  Right now they've called off everything through April 30.  TBH I wish they'd make decisions a little further out--if folks get cancelled at the last minute it makes the rescheduling of trek and travel arrangement that much harder.

12 hours ago, Chisos said:

This has been what I've been thinking about..with folks coming in from everywhere it'll be tough to do.  Especially if Covid-19 is still active.

We are supposed to go to Sea Base in early June.  Right now they've called off everything through April 30.  TBH I wish they'd make decisions a little further out--if folks get cancelled at the last minute it makes the rescheduling of trek and travel arrangement that much harder.

The harsh reality is that we won't know (as in a decent data-based recommendation from the CDC "know") what to do in May until the end of this month. We won't know what to do in June until the end of May; July until the end of June, etc ...

There will come a time where we will switch from keeping youth from things like camps (or, more specifically, the evening campfire where all three hundred are packed in an amphitheater) to where camps will be a good idea. But when that will be is uncertain.

(BTW, I firmly believe that two-week internment camps -- nice ones, but a rose by any other name -- for all international travelers arriving from anywhere to anywhere would have nipped this in the bud at far less expense.)

And it is likely to vary from state to state. Camps, HA bases, and units are going to have to be very agile

There is data, it just is being withheld.  Part of the agreement between POTUS and health insurers was to give the insurers access to the data CDC was collecting.  not that I have huge fear of losing my anonymity here,  I'd like to not lose my job and share what we know in specific #s, but we do know the number of people tested, the zip codes they live in, ages, gender.  CDC is coordinating the share of that between the state public health departments as well, but they are also not sharing that on with the public.    

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

(BTW, I firmly believe that two-week internment camps -- nice ones, but a rose by any other name -- for all international travelers arriving from anywhere to anywhere would have nipped this in the bud at far less expense.)

And it is likely to vary from state to state. Camps, HA bases, and units are going to have to be very agile

This could be spun off into a delightful issues and politics thread. This virus has been a multi national failure of multiple governments and health agencies, trickling down to local leadership being unprepared or in denial. 

• Upvote 1