Where do you find a wilderness first aid class? My local Red Cross chapter (Cincinnati) doesn't offer one, and a quick google search uncovers a few offerings in other states. Is this the kind of thing that is available only in regions with plenty of wilderness? Or is there a reliable source I have yet to identify?

My WFA certification is up this coming winter. I will be taking it again though my local council office. They have been offering it for a number of years at a reasonable price. If your unit is planning on a trek, I HIGHLY recommend at least one adult have this course. Talk to your council about getting the ball rolling down the road.

Wilderness Medical Institute has become a part of the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

Lots of classes offered around the country. Don't seen any near you right now, but there's info on their site about sponsoring a class and bringing them in.

They are a first class outfit that do this stuff full-time.

-mike(This message has been edited by Mike F)

Thanks for the ideas, folks. NOLS and Solo were the sources that I spotted initially, but there doesn't seem to be anything very local from these outfits. MidwestMom came up with several leads that are at least within striking distance, thanks. I also got a private message regarding a recent course offered in town through a climbing gym (RockQuest). RockQuest tells me that they will likely offer the course again before too long, so that's a good lead also.

I'll contact Council, too.. I should have thought of that!

I took a course at my local REI store if you have them in your parts. It was taught by an MD who had designed a great wilderness first aid kit that is light and has everything. The doctor was great and his kit has a small book with all of his secrets in it. It was a fantastic and informative class. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Finally, someone asking about WFA.

I have my WFA teaching cert from ARC, and we regularly teach WFA. I am also a scouter and ASM for Troop 136 out of Laramie WY, but spend the fall and spring in OK (for a real job). I have been trying hard to get the local OK council to advertise and let me teach a WFA for the leaders but to little interest! Finally, an OK Troop has stepped forward to do this in Dec or so as they want to go to Boundry Waters (wise choice). Though I have also tried hard, the local council for Laramie has also shown little interest!!

I don't know where you are all from, but would consider helping with a class if you were able to get together.

The ARC class outline is from the Transylvania chapter, but with a great deal more thrown in from our Albany Co Chapter. We include lots of hands on exercizes with gear that you normally would carry, and are actively planning to do this class (16 hrs + 2 hr CPR) in the outdoors.

My outfitter also teaches WFR (though only in the Spring in Laramie where you pretty much have to live so far - though we are considering a straight through class for Spring Break) and High and Low angle Rock Rescue (which my Scouts and I used in a rescue this summer).

Please reply if you are interested.

John Bowen

John,

I'm from the OK council you were talking about. I'm not sure why they wouldn't bite on your offer. They do provide the CPR/First Aid training and first aid is covered in the IOLS course. Perhaps they feel it would be redundant. I don't think so. If there is a charge for the training, that shouldn't bother them unless it is high dollar. The CPR/First Aid course they provide costs something like $5 to attend. Our SM is the District Trainer Chair for our district. Perhaps we could offer the training at the district level to any interested persons. I'm sure he would have to get approval from the Council Training Chair to add something that is not standard however. He is gone right now serving on staff for Wood Badge. I'll try to remember to bring it up with him next week.