Just an announcement for an opportunity that might be of interest:

High Plains Outdoor will be presenting an ARC certified Wilderness First Responder course, a full 100 hour comprehensive course with outdoor sessions the Spring Break week of March 14-20, 2005 in Laramie, WY. Cost of the course is $350 which is about half the price that NOLS/WMI charges. They are planning to make a deal with a local motel, University Inn Motel for a special price for out of town WFR students,

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I am looking for a Troop or information on one in the Last Frontier Council that was planning on going to Boundry Waters and had asked me about running a WFA class for them. Does anyone know who they are, and would you mind having them to reply if they are still interested? Time is running out for this fall semester, though I would be glad to run one for the council

• 2 months later...

Scouters:

Rarely, do you see or comprehend that Wilderness First Aid is taught in Florida. After many hurricanes or any type of natural disaster, Help is Delayed. Our emergency response, & shelters were limited. Scouting can provide service to others in the backcountry, wilderness or during these natural disasters.

With the American Red Cross National Provider Agreement, I would encourage your council to follow through to help scouters become instructors on all levels. The Venturing Program will benefit.

I am very proud that I just finished instructing my first Wildrness First Aid class. The program and materials need to be updated. With support from our local chapter, we have been informed , there will be new course updates later this year.

Encourage your Council Commissioner to have an Ast.

Council Commissioner for Health & Safety. Networking key information helps the units with education, preparation, and overall safety.

Hi folks

Taught my 4th, but the first for a BSA audience in OK. I have updated my course (it is based on the wimpy Transylvania Chapter outline) with content from our course we teach in Albany Co. WY which is based on 10 years experience and NOLS.

My sentiments exactly for WFA and Scouts. At present most all Scouts and Scouters in the wilderness are an accident waiting to happen. Little first aid and little outdoors knowledge and lots of ambition will lead to problems.

My group will be teaching WFA March 13 or thereabouts in Laramie, WY. Email me back if you are interested.

JB