Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

Our camp (Freeland Leslie) is open and we have 25 scouts signed up. They will be kept in groups (cohorts) of 40 and be moved to a new section depending on the day. Limited MBs, no leaving camp site, adults must follow and stay with scouts during the day.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

Just heard that the Old North State Council in NC has decided to not operate it’s summer camp (Cherokee) this summer. Apparently they tried to make it happen but didn’t have enough participants sign up.  Just an incredibly difficult year/time for our movement. 

Edited by ALongWalk
On 6/5/2020 at 11:53 AM, TMSM said:

Our camp (Freeland Leslie) is open and we have 25 scouts signed up. They will be kept in groups (cohorts) of 40 and be moved to a new section depending on the day. Limited MBs, no leaving camp site, adults must follow and stay with scouts during the day.

We are headed there as well (Week 3) and have 22 scouts attending.  While I prefer their standard program, its great they are finding a way to get scouts out of the house, have aquatics and shooting sports options while reducing some Covid-19 risks.  We held a meeting with our scouts and so far no one has changed their plans to attend.  

I expect this will be the year of partial MBs but almost anything will be an improvement over looking at more zoom call video feeds.

https://threefirescouncil.org/programs-2/camp-freeland-leslie/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
On 6/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, Eagledad said:

I don't know what Council is doing yet, but I can't see why meetings would be discouraged.

We are told here that units may meet, based on CO approval.  In my troop's case, we may end up mid August before we are allowed back into the church for in person meetings.  Looking at the possibility of some troop outdoor meetings until then.

19 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

We are told here that units may meet, based on CO approval.  In my troop's case, we may end up mid August before we are allowed back into the church for in person meetings.  Looking at the possibility of some troop outdoor meetings until then.

We've started doing some outdoor meeting/activities.  We probably won't want to start indoor meetings for a while but in the meantime we've been putting together some programming we can do outdoors and in smaller groups.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:52 AM, TAHAWK said:

Perhaps the most important "unit," the patrols,  might meet - out-of-doors if practicable.

It is interesting that so many of the solutions to obstacles are really just using the Patrol Method!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 6/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Chisos said:

We've started doing some outdoor meeting/activities.  We probably won't want to start indoor meetings for a while but in the meantime we've been putting together some programming we can do outdoors and in smaller groups.

We typically would do outdoor meetings when the weather allowed. While the adults usually stayed in another room, outdoors gave us more room to give the scouts space from the adults.

1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

It is interesting that so many of the solutions to obstacles are really just using the Patrol Method!

This is a nice unforeseen benefit. Still, the adults need to use some initiative to give the scouts as much separation as possible for the positive results of using Patrol Method. I think both the adults and scout will find using the outdoors is a lot easier for using space without pushing the limits of policies.

The PLC can add verity to their program by meeting other places like a nearby park or school football field, depending on the meeting agenda and theme. Not only our troop met at other places, so did my Webelos. If the weather was nice, we tried to meet outside and often at another location.

Barry

• Upvote 1

Before the pandemic started our unit had a reservation at Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina. It was for early August to camp for two nights as part of a whitewater rafting trip.  Three weeks ago they confirmed to us that our stay was still a go, they just needed a firm head count to know how many of their standing wall tents to reserve for our stay.  Then two days ago we get an email from the camp stating that they have changed their mind,  no out-of-council troops units will be allowed to stay to ensure they have the space for their in-council units. 

*sigh*   

June 9, Heart of New England Council (MA) - Council worked hard throughout spring to open Camp Wanockett (NH).  In the past month, a condensed (3 day) residential summer camp program with various health measures was proposed, but..

"The State of New Hampshire's final guidelines for summer camp included several conditions that make running even the condensed program unworkable, including burdensome testing and quarantine requirements; additionally, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is not expected to provide their final summer camp guidance for weeks to come. We sincerely thank our summer camp leadership, camp staff, volunteers, and professional staff who devoted countless hours of research and creativity over the past several weeks in developing our new summer program. We will continue to look for ways to provide summer program support for our Scouts, families, and units, including Scout Adventure Weekends at Treasure Valley Scout Reservation and, hopefully, Camp Wanocksett."

https://www.facebook.com/pg/hnebsa/posts/

21 hours ago, MacBrave said:

Before the pandemic started our unit had a reservation at Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina. It was for early August to camp for two nights as part of a whitewater rafting trip.  Three weeks ago they confirmed to us that our stay was still a go, they just needed a firm head count to know how many of their standing wall tents to reserve for our stay.  Then two days ago we get an email from the camp stating that they have changed their mind,  no out-of-council troops units will be allowed to stay to ensure they have the space for their in-council units. 

*sigh*   

Currently Camp Raven Knob in NC is open and looking for units to attend. They have a great program.

We have several scouts attending Camp Rainey Mountain in Georgia next month.  One of the covid related precautions they are taking is that every scout and scouter must bring proof of a negative covid-19 test, dated within 7 days of arrival at camp.  No negative test, no admission to camp.

59 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

We have several scouts attending Camp Rainey Mountain in Georgia next month.  One of the covid related precautions they are taking is that every scout and scouter must bring proof of a negative covid-19 test, dated within 7 days of arrival at camp.  No negative test, no admission to camp.

I'm assuming this is the viral test and not an antibody test. Good luck getting either test if you have no symptoms and then a second verification if you test positive.

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

I'm assuming this is the viral test and not an antibody test. Good luck getting either test if you have no symptoms and then a second verification if you test positive.

I think the test-within-a-week is a State of Georgia thing.  We were planning to attend Woodruff, and if it hadn't been called off, that would have been a requirement.

16 minutes ago, Chisos said:

I think the test-within-a-week is a State of Georgia thing.  We were planning to attend Woodruff, and if it hadn't been called off, that would have been a requirement.

Maine requires that out-of-staters (VT and NH are exempt which is baffling) either have a negative covid test within 72 hours prior to arrival* OR self-quarantine 14-day.  I think nearly all resident summer camps remain closed. As far as I know, the type of "test" or vendor has not been specified, though I would expect CDC approved at least.

* Since testing is often not readily available in their own states, visitors can go to a test site in Maine upon arrival and await the results while in quarantine. 

Edited by RememberSchiff