Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

2 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

"Program Areas

• Limit class size [six] to enable social distancing"

School days, school days, dear old Golden Rule days.  Clueless

Been fighting that battle for years.  "We don't teach merit badge classes, we counsel merit badge sessions".  (And, don't call any of it HOMEWORK!)

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Chisos said:

Been fighting that battle for years.  "We don't teach merit badge classes, we counsel merit badge sessions".  (And, don't call any of it HOMEWORK!)

Camp I work at refuses to say teach, we can only say instruct. We aren’t teachers, we’re instructors.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:57 PM, karunamom3 said:

Maybe. My son has done so many Virtual MBs already. Our Troop is registered to go to Winnebago for week 2 so we are waiting to hear the details so we can make a decision. I have no problem with our kids going.

We’re PPC as well. SO disappointed about Sabattis. We signed up for Winnebago instead, though we may change our minds, given the ‘no waterfront’ issue. If they can’t swim, I doubt they’ll be allowed to use the shooting range, zip lines, or other shared equipment. 

At least they can still camp with their friends. 

My husband and I have offered our place in PA for a troop camping trip, but there’s not anything more to do out here than at Winnebago with no activities. We have a Copperhead sailboat, but only two people at a time can use it, and we’re 20 minutes from the reservoir. Maybe take turns fishing, kayaking, and sailing?

We haven’t herd yet whether the community pool out here will open. The season usually would have started today. 

Them there’s the issue of responsibility/liability.  I don’t know. 

New Hampshire Daniel Webster Council will not open summer camps for 2020 season. Notably this would include popular Griswold Scout Reservation (Hidden Valley Scout Camp and Camp Bell) and Camp Carpenter (Cub Scout resident camp).

https://www.unionleader.com/news/nh-boy-scout-camps-will-not-open-this-summer/article_f65731ed-7e14-540e-966f-f39d14494d0b.html

No update yet regarding Camp Wanocksett which is also in NH but run by The Heart of New England Council in Massachusetts.

Edited by RememberSchiff
typo
On 5/21/2020 at 10:53 PM, T2Eagle said:

Weird little factoid, the owner of the failed Boyce Hydro dam is a man named Lee Mueller, who appears to be the son of a socialite named Virginia Boyce Lind—and the grandson of the newspaper magnate who founded the Boy Scouts.

In 2006, heirs of the founder of the Boy Scouts of America, Mueller and his relatives needed to reinvest money from the sale of an Illinois property in less than a year — or pay $600,000 in taxes to the IRS.

Eventually, a solution came to Mueller, an architect who lives in Las Vegas, and his cousin, Michel d’Avenas, a California musician who is the son of a French count and is now known as the Pebble Beach Bagpiper.

They would avoid taxes by purchasing four small hydroelectric dams in mid-Michigan near Midland, according to hundreds of pages of federal court records reviewed by Bridge.

The deal was troubled from the start for trustees of the William D. Boyce Trusts, which manages the fortune of a Chicago publishing magnate who founded the Scouts at the dawn of the 20th century. In the 14 years that have followed, Mueller and the trust have clashed repeatedly with state officials, federal regulators, local homeowners and even fishermen.

Very fascinating story at source:

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/two-heirs-bought-midland-dams-tax-shelter-tragedy-followed

• Upvote 1
On 5/24/2020 at 6:33 PM, fred8033 said:

I swear I'm just too tired.  I kept reading catheter.

Now I'm stuck on all the possible things that a Head Catheter is supposed to drain...