Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

5/19/20 Lake Erie Council

"This is a quick note to let you know to expect our next announcement this coming Friday [5/22/20]. In this announcement we will be addressing where we are with all summer Scouts BSA and Cub Camping programs. We have been gathering data and constantly monitoring information from all applicable channels and using it to inform our plans and decision making. We appreciate your patience as we work to compile information and create the safest and most sustainable path forward."

JCC camps in my area just cancelled.  Surveys just started at my council.  I think that ACA guidance document that was just released will accelerate decisions.  Hoping my camp stays open, but if it doesn't, decided to take a father/son fishing trip.

• Upvote 1

So Atlanta Area has advised (and this is a summary) for the Scouts camps - 

• Don't know what's coming
  • Focused on safe program
  • Changing food (cook or delivery to site)
  • Cope and Climbing may not offer
  • No whitewater rafting
  • Aquatics is difficult
  • Shooting sport are difficult

Seems like not much to be offered

16 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

• No whitewater rafting
  • Aquatics is difficult

Seriously, why offer camp at that point?

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

• No whitewater rafting
  • Aquatics is difficult

Got that same email.  Already having some folks deciding it's just not worth it.

Mayflower Council will be going ahead with resident camp (consolidating from the two camps to just Camp Squanto), pushing out 2 weeks per MA timelines, limits on 250 campers per week, and will result in being 5 weeks versus 6.  Our Governor wants summer camps to operate, with some guidelines still being worked out to do so in a safer manner.  Health screening at drop off, likely staggered drop-off/pick-up, all unit leaders and scouts must remain at camp (no in and out), no visitors. Dining hall will operate, but no self-serve (including salad bar) with physical distancing- Squanto has two large outdoor covered seating areas, plus additional picnic tables in the pine grove, so it is feasible.  Details on program changes vague in the announcement, but the scuttlebutt is already started that it will be cohort type program, meaning the whole unit (or patrols for larger units) likely goes to a program area together, or in some cases program staff will come to the campsite. 

https://www.mayflowerbsa.org/camp-resolute-camp-squanto-summer-camp-update/

On 5/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, ItsBrian said:

Patriots Path Council (NJ) is keeping one of two camps closed. Day camp will also be held but modified.

Still awaiting more details. There will be no merit badges and it sounds like the troops stay together and work together all week. No specifics yet.

1 minute ago, karunamom3 said:

Still awaiting more details. There will be no merit badges and it sounds like the troops stay together and work together all week. No specifics yet.

Maybe you’ll be interested in the virtual academy thing they plan on doing?

I’m in PP as well.

24 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Maybe you’ll be interested in the virtual academy thing they plan on doing?

I’m in PP as well.

Maybe. My son has done so many Virtual MBs already. Our Troop is registered to go to Winnebago for week 2 so we are waiting to hear the details so we can make a decision. I have no problem with our kids going.

12 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

• No whitewater rafting
  • Aquatics is difficult

Thus why we cancelled out trip.  We were supposed to be week 4 which its looking like their 1st week open. No thanks, I don't want to be the Guinea pig.  

Our council canceled all camp weeks before July 5th.  Camps are still waiting state/fed guidance to host summer camp.  So, I'm interpreting our council communication as NOT a plan to open July 5th.  Rather, it's canceling the first several weeks that are too imminent.  I'm still betting our later week is canceled too.  

Edited by fred8033