Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

Governors will need to more-directly address camping programs at large summer camps before the insurance companies are going to go along with liability coverage.  I agree with PACAN that the Maryland governor has not yet gone far enough.  A betting person would probably go along with my earlier prediction that we are going to lose the entire summer season almost everywhere.  I do note the exception that the high adventure bases are apparently intending to open on July 1.  

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

57 minutes ago, Cburkhardt said:

I do note the exception that the high adventure bases are apparently intending to open on July 1.  

I know that is the current plan, but I would be shocked if it went through this summer.  While the curve has flattened (we are now linear growth), we haven't driving cases down.  I have a team in China  (not Wuhan) but when I discussed with them the USA's response their biggest shock is the travel we allow between locations.  That is a big way they limited the spread.  I think governors will realize this more and more and put a stop to locations that attract out of state visitors.  

It kills me as I think there is a risk that some of these high adventure bases may be sold off in Bankruptcy.  I also know it provides cash flow for BSA and many would lose out on a once in a lifetime experience.  I just think there is no way New Mexico or Minnesota will allow this to proceed.  Florida … perhaps and I have no idea about West Virginia.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I know that is the current plan, but I would be shocked if it went through this summer.  While the curve has flattened (we are now linear growth), we haven't driving cases down.  I have a team in China  (not Wuhan) but when I discussed with them the USA's response their biggest shock is the travel we allow between locations.  That is a big way they limited the spread.  I think governors will realize this more and more and put a stop to locations that attract out of state visitors.  

It kills me as I think there is a risk that some of these high adventure bases may be sold off in Bankruptcy.  I also know it provides cash flow for BSA and many would lose out on a once in a lifetime experience.  I just think there is no way New Mexico or Minnesota will allow this to proceed.  Florida … perhaps and I have no idea about West Virginia.

Considering that most individuals are not driving from their home location to the HA bases, and are often going to fly, risk increased.  Dade County is one of the highest hit areas in Florida- I wouldn't fly through Miami right now, and I don't expect it to be flat there come July 1.  

Just now, HashTagScouts said:

Considering that most individuals are not driving from their home location to the HA bases, and are often going to fly, risk increased.  Dade County is one of the highest hit areas in Florida- I wouldn't fly through Miami right now, and I don't expect it to be flat there come July 1.  

I agree, but I'm also thinking about the leadership in the state.  New Mexico's Governor is very aggressive. She is setting up roadblock around Gallup https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-new-mexico-lockdown-sunday-governor-lujan-grisham/.  I would not be surprised if she shuts down Philmont.

Florida, on the other hand, well .. 

SOCIAL DISTANCING: Not all beach goers following CDC's advice

My council just officially canceled all June day and resident camps. Currently planning on having events in July. I’m still skeptical of that happening either but I guess they have to plan as though they can. 

23 minutes ago, malraux said:

My council just officially canceled all June day and resident camps. Currently planning on having events in July. I’m still skeptical of that happening either but I guess they have to plan as though they can. 

Do you mind telling us the state?

25 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I agree, but I'm also thinking about the leadership in the state.  New Mexico's Governor is very aggressive. She is setting up roadblock around Gallup https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-new-mexico-lockdown-sunday-governor-lujan-grisham/.  I would not be surprised if she shuts down Philmont.

Florida, on the other hand, well .. 

SOCIAL DISTANCING: Not all beach goers following CDC's advice

Oh, I know.  My dad is down there, and it is not a good situation.  Many old timers there think this is all a hoax, and continue to leave the house or get together with their friends.  Just waiting for the call that his whole 55+ community is ill.

Pine Tree Council (Maine) has cancelled resident camp at Camp Hinds and Bomazen.  Looks like they are going to offer some day activities on weekend dates starting in July to better mitigate risks.  I think the biggest hurdle that Maine camps have had to deal with is dining halls- both in terms of meals, and that they are also considered the safe-haven structure in case of severe weather (and if you can't use the dining hall for the later, then you really can't run camp).

Camp Freeland Leslie just sent an update

- June 21 is now their start

- Patrol cooking only, they had planned a dining hall type experience this year as an option, that is cancelled.

- Camp wide pig roast cancelled

- Camp wide flag/fire ceremony cancelled

- Family night/visitor day cancelled

- Cloth facemasks will be provided to all campers

- Personal bottle of hand sanitizer to all campers

- Large bottles of hand santitizer across camp

- Symptom screening setup

- Shared equipment cleaning will follow CDC protocols

- Disinfecting procedures for common areas to be followed.

- Refund policy improving … allowing cancellations closer to camp.

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Yeah, I would expect Philmont to be closed. Our governor has declared that our whole state is in this together. More than half our cases and deaths are concentrated in two counties (northwest part of the state--lots of reservation land) but she is not willing to consider different regions.

Also, while eyeing a reopening that will be based on "our behavior," this week she has already chastised us for not doing what we are supposed to do, based on "data and personal observations." We are still limited to gatherings of five. If your family has more than 5 people, you can be at home together, but not in public together.

Even before the spike in northwest NM I was not hopeful that Philmont would open. It would be a long trip too if you flew here, because the executive order says you have to quarantine for 14 days if you arrive in a plane. 

I don't see any of this changing enough, in time, for this summer.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

... Florida, on the other hand, well ..

[Inserted: Low angle image of billions of human viruses getting incinerated by ultraviolet radiation and saltwater air in the ample space between sunbathing humans. News caption "BEACHES PACKED AMID COVID-19 CONCERNS."]

3 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

Oh, I know.  My dad is down there, and it is not a good situation.  Many old timers there think this is all a hoax, and continue to leave the house or get together with their friends.  Just waiting for the call that his whole 55+ community is ill.

Okay social distance warriors ... there's wisdom and there's zealotry.

Now I am grateful that we brought Mrs. Q's mom up from FL last year. We were beyond done with long distance elder care, and the pandemic would have put the stress levels through the roof. So, I feel your pain @HashTagScouts. But, here in PA the "secured" nursing homes have been utter nightmares. Given the situation that you described, your dad's best bet is to get out with his buddies, hit the links or at least walk the course. Here's hoping that call never comes.

55 minutes ago, Sniktaw said:

Yeah, I would expect Philmont to be closed. Our governor has declared that our whole state is in this together. More than half our cases and deaths are concentrated in two counties (northwest part of the state--lots of reservation land) but she is not willing to consider different regions.

... It would be a long trip too if you flew here, because the executive order says you have to quarantine for 14 days if you arrive in a plane. 

I don't see any of this changing enough, in time, for this summer.

You might be right @Sniktaw. As I mentioned earlier, some camps would be better operated with two week (or maybe even three week) sessions. My oldest Aunt remembered Campfire Girls camps in NY that extended through much of the summer. I wonder if that was part of it ... get any kids who might not have yet been exposed to flu through their first week so that they can enjoy the remaining four or five.

Could an HA reconfigure to handle such extended adventures? Maybe. Would today's parents buy in? I doubt it.

Edited by qwazse
2 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

People would never lie to their doctors/health providers about their compliance with medical advice/the law! Would they? 😄

66%?  I suppose it's possible to believe 66% of the residents of NYC are liars is an explanation.  Another is that the stay at home orders are a farce.

Having worked in the medical field, I have heard some stories of people not telling 100% of the truth to their  providers. When I went through physical therapy a few years best I did my darndest to be compliant with his instructions for exercise at home. It was challenging and  initially I was not meeting his goals. But I was honest with him and told him I was actually doing. He admitted that since most patients do not follow instructions, he always add to the regime so that the patient can make progress to recovery. I was able to get out of rehab in  5.5 months following his instructions. I saw one of my fellow patients with the milder problem I had still in rehab a year after starting because he would not do the exercises at home, despite saying he was. The procedure he had was the one I was suppose to have, and the recovering should have been shorter than the 5.5 months I went through.

• MattR locked this topic
  • MattR unlocked this topic