Are your Resident Camps/Summer Camps opening?

On 4/6/2020 at 2:28 PM, swilliams said:

Our council, Patriots' Path, is planning on moving forward as of now.  The early bird deadline is April 24th.  For the first time ever, the camps will be offering 100% refunds, right up until the day camp starts.  I believe the first week of camp is July 5th.

The early bird deadline is now May 1 for PPC. It will be really tough for us to get our scouts to go I fear. It is the last thing on many people's minds. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the lack of mBs and no dining halls will allow scouts to have a real summer camp as described by BP instead of simply "living under canvas".

Our camps have been canceled for all the the lower penninsula of Michigan for the summer and no in person meetings/activities until further notice. On a different but related note, 2 dams in mid

Just now, karunamom3 said:

The early bird deadline is now May 1 for PPC. It will be really tough for us to get our scouts to go I fear. It is the last thing on many people's minds. 

I saw that email that was sent out. I feel like the camps will be hurting this year if they open.

I work at a camp in PA, but I’m in PPC.

6 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I saw that email that was sent out. I feel like the camps will be hurting this year if they open.

I work at a camp in PA, but I’m in PPC.

I agree. We are scheduled to go to Winnebago July 12th. Who knows how things will be then. We are struggling with approaching our families about camp & applying for camperships when we have families losing income and loved ones. Now we are considering moving our week to later or cancelling and going to the MB week in August. 😥

2 minutes ago, karunamom3 said:

I agree. We are scheduled to go to Winnebago July 12th. Who knows how things will be then. We are struggling with approaching our families about camp & applying for camperships when we have families losing income and loved ones. Now we are considering moving our week to later or cancelling and going to the MB week in August. 😥

Another reason why my troop goes to PA for camp... a lot cheaper! I suggest your troop possibly trying one in the future! I’ve gone to at least 3 PA summer camps and had all great experiences. I’ve had amazing experiences working at one for hopefully a 3rd summer. 

Best wishes with the scheduling.

Edited by ItsBrian
1 minute ago, ItsBrian said:

Another reason why my troop goes to PA for camp... a lot cheaper! I suggest your troop possibly trying one in the future! I’ve gone to at least 3 PA summer camps and had all great experiences. I’ve had amazing experiences working at one for hopefully a 3rd summer. 

We are a brand new troop this year and decided to go to winnebago so we could possibly get camperships and its within 1 hr from us.  (Last year was a different troop at jersey shore council camp). And 2 of our boys love Winnebago. They had really great Webelos resident camp experiences there.

But, I hear great things about SOME of the PA camps. Would love to know which ones you recommend.

3 minutes ago, karunamom3 said:

We are a brand new troop this year and decided to go to winnebago so we could possibly get camperships and its within 1 hr from us.  (Last year was a different troop at jersey shore council camp). And 2 of our boys love Winnebago. They had really great Webelos resident camp experiences there.

But, I hear great things about SOME of the PA camps. Would love to know which ones you recommend.

Bashore Scout Reservation is the top on my list. It’s under $400 and includes all merit badge materials in it. It’s like 30 mins from Hershey. 

I can answer any questions in messages. 

And yes, SOME of PA camps. Haha

Edited by ItsBrian
On 4/14/2020 at 12:35 AM, karunamom3 said:

My boys can't wait, and will be devastated if there's no camp this summer.  With Gov. Wolf (PA) being part of the northeast group talking about re-openings, if NJ summer camps are closed, you can bet PA scout camps will be closed, too.

I'm not concerned about sending my boys, should camp still be an option.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, swilliams said:

My boys can't wait, and will be devastated if there's no camp this summer.  With Gov. Wolf (PA) being part of the northeast group talking about re-openings, if NJ summer camps are closed, you can bet PA scout camps will be closed, too.

I'm not concerned about sending my boys, should camp still be an option.

Exact same thoughts. I hope they’re open since this is my last year on staff.

Just now, karunamom3 said:

I will send my son to another state provo if its within 6 hours of NJ. He will also be devastated if he cant go this year.

That would depend if the other camps even allow out of state campers.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, scoutldr said:

Our Governor (VA) has ordered a shutdown until June 10th.  They are still debating how to make up the lost school year...going to school all summer is on the table.  

Are they not doing online school? NJ DOE designed the online instruction to count towards the 180 days.

• Upvote 1

IMHO,  Councils will just follow their camp's respective state directives as they evolve.

Arkansas: 

https://www.eldoradonews.com/news/2020/apr/13/summer-camp-now/

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/summer-camps-expected-to-not-open-secretary-of-health-says/

Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced that the Arkansas Department of Health will soon release guidance that will close summer camps for the time being. He said camps have the potential to become breeding grounds for continued community spread of the novel coronavirus.

“You’re bringing together people from all over the country, putting them in a highly congregate setting for a week or so and then sending them back,” he continued. “Even if we’re on the downside of cases at that point, that’s a high risk setting for a resurgence.”

“With many of these summer camps, they start bringing together the people who are going to work there in early May, so bringing a bunch of college kids or whoever from different parts of the country, living together in the same types of barracks settings as they’re preparing for campers, that itself is a risk,” Smith said. “I would hope that we’ll eventually be to a point where we can safely do that, but the COVID-19 virus is not exactly on my timetable.”

• Upvote 3
On 4/19/2020 at 7:22 AM, scoutldr said:

Our Governor (VA) has ordered a shutdown until June 10th.  They are still debating how to make up the lost school year...going to school all summer is on the table.  

Wow, I thought all schools were doing online learning.  My kids would stage a revolt if we had to do summer school.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, swilliams said:

Wow, I thought all schools were doing online learning.  My kids would stage a revolt if we had to do summer school.

Online has yet to be delivered uniformly across districts around here. Pittsburgh public is having an especially rough time.

• MattR locked this topic
  • MattR unlocked this topic