Home range is the term used to describe the space in which an individual animal spends its time and finds all the resources needed for survival. The term was coined by 20th-century American zoologist William Henry Burt, who was noted for his books on mammals and his collection of their baculums.

Author, wildlife artist and chairman of the founding committee of Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton, explains, “No wild animal roams at random over the country; each has a home-region, even if it has not an actual home.” 

The concept of territory is different from home range and includes the defense of an area against other animals. Territories are well-defined and often physically marked by the dominant animal. A territory is usually smaller than the animal’s home range.

My home range has decreased dramatically in the last week and I hope that yours has as well. Aspire to reduce it even more, since the smaller our home ranges, the better our chances for reducing the range of humanity’s newest predator.

An interesting essay on Nature and these times by Suzan Bellincampi, director of the Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary in Edgartown, and author of Martha’s Vineyard: A Field Guide to Island Nature and The Nature of Martha’s Vineyard.

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2020/03/26/home-range

Edited by RememberSchiff

Firstly, Saars-Cov-2 is in no way on par with any predator. It is merely a chain letter in an envelope that cells --of our species in particular and maybe one or two others in general -- find very desirable to grab, open, copy, and disseminate.

Secondly, my "home range" includes:

• the homes and scout-houses of SMs who insist that I visit someday, be they in Denmark, Sweden, India, Indonesia or elsewhere.
  • a hospital ... the walls of which I may not cross ... In which Son #1's Son #1 is recovering from a necessarily invasive surgery to correct a fetal heart defect.

Unlike mere beasts, I understand the necessity of withdrawing to a territory for some time, but like creatures -- from box turtles to mountain lions -- I could no more stay from walking the block outside that hospital any more than they could stay from crossing a busy road.

I've been thinking about your situation, qwazse. My oldest son once ask if my life was easier with all the kids out of the house. I said, while a young man I always thought the stress of worrying about my kids would fade as they ventured into their adult lives. But, I found that as he and his siblings grew older, their problems were more significant and my anxiousness more abundant. Grand-parenting requires big shoulders.

Peace and Healing for your family, Amen.

Barry

• Thanks 1