When I see someone in a Scout uniform in public

So it was one of those long nights. You know the kind, brand new SPL, troop meeting was out of control, SPL wanted to talk after the PLC, and meeting, and tried to resign. "It just wasn't like this last week! See I knew I couldn't do this, I'm such a loser!" The SM and I (the CC) told the boy to get in my car. We called his folks so they wouldn't worry, and went to our local Dairy Queen.

Little ice cream, a few laughs, a couple of stories, and then when it was time to pay the bill, no bill. I asked the kid behind the counter. He smiled, and held out his left hand to shake mine. He looked at our new SPL, and said "First meeting blues?" I nodded, he smiled and then said "I remember those... Tell him it'll get better."

He wouldn't take the money, I gained respect for the program. The next week, we had more boys go with us. This time we paid. Sure made up for some of the headaches. I'm not looking forward to the next set of elections.

I've never gotten anything but respect while in uniform, but our last D.E. was telling me about being insulted a couple of times while in uniform. I told him that's what he gets for living in Austin!! Some strange folks in Austin......

bd

Just this morning, I took my uniformed son to a court session (Citizenship in Community Req. 4d). On our walk to the courtroom, two different men, at separate times, both wearing suits, held up right hand with three fingers - one offered up Scout Law, other offered up Scout Promise. One of them, we found out in the courtroom, is the county attorney. Funny, my son wasn't asked why he wasn't in school, though I suspect that he would have been asked if he hadn't been in his uniform.

What wonderful stories! May I add one?

Last summer, my son and I were driving out to his Webelos resident camp at Bear Creek (near Hunt, TX). He was a little nervous, because we had just moved, had not yet joined a new pack, and were camping with a pack that had invited us along. So we didn't really know anybody.

Anyway, as we got off the highway in Kerrville, we stopped at a Luby's for lunch. We didn't get any free meals, but we sure got some nice glances and waves from the people in the restaurant and in the parking lot.

As we left, I told my son that it pays to be in uniform because people seem to feel like its OK to wave and be friendly when they otherwise normally would not.

He still feels awkward wearing his uniform in public (he's a Webelos II now), but he still remembers that trip!

Fred Goodwin

Ass't WDL, Pack 66

Alamo Area Council

• 3 weeks later...

My username says it all but I will share my perspective.

First, scouting is great. It teaches so many things to the boys and adds to a quality relationship between father and son. I've been pretty involved with both of my sons in the program for several years now. That being said, my view (and it seems the view of many parents I know) is that the uniform is anachronistic (not to mention way overpriced for a polyester blend shirt).

I think Scouting needs a new look. Patches. badges, pins are fine but the uniform is seen by some of us as symbolic of the past and not part of the modern day. It's nice that people who were involved with it when they were younger can react it to it in such a positive way but I see no value in getting a free soda or a pat on the back for wearing a uniform. I get satisfaction after every den meeting I run where my youngest son has accomplished something new. The uniform will never live up to that experience. It can only symbolize it and I'm not much for symbolism. I'll get more out of watching my boys turn into responsible young men.

Don't forget what Thomas Jefferson once said (paraphrase): A little rebellion is good every now and then. I think scouting needs a makeover so it's visual appeal is not a barrier to parents or their children.

Those are my thoughts and I know full well that my username and comments will draw the ire of many of you. So be it.

HTU,

I'm not going to blast you, but I will add my 2 cents worth (and that's about all the money I have till payday :)). I love the uniform. Yes, it is too pricey, but so are the cigs I tell myself I have to buy. But when I see my son, my husband and even myself in uniform I know that we belong to a great thing. Something that my husband belonged to as a child, his father before him and his grandfather as well. The uniform has always been a part of the program and IMHO it always should be.

As far as my Wolf den goes, the first question the new cubs ask is when do they get their uniforms.

I will wear mine with pride!

Carol

Carol:

Go ahead and wear the uniform with pride. I would hope you are not seen smoling cigarettes while you wear it. That would undermine the teachings in the scouting program around good health and fitness. I know both my sons have felt shamed when they see someone in a scout uniform smoking a cigarette or incredibly overweight. I won't even go into the older boy scouts I see who have not yet earned their Merit Badge for personal grooming.

This is one of the dilemma's of a visual identity -- it can make us look like hypocrites when we violate someone else's opinion of what the image needs to be. Thanks for the reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you mentioned the 'complete' uniform.

What does everyone consider complete?

I am a new Bear Den Leader and our Pack is rebuilding. Many of the boys have just a shirt, and perhaps a cap. The badges are often missing or incorrectly placed. We are trying to repair the damage done by earlier regimes.

I am of the opinion that the boys should wear what they have well, rather than expecting them to have pants, socks, caps, shirts, vests, etc.

In the days following 9/11 my Troop participated in fundraising for the effort at ground zero. We collected food, gloves, masks, ect... We set up in front of store fronts with boxes for people to donate whatever they could. All of our scouts were in unifrom.

A woman pulled up to the side walk and waved me to come over to her car (many people drove up, called a scout over, handed him money and drove away). So I walked over to her window, and she was shuffling through her purse. I had not noticed at first, but when she looked up at me she was in tears. She said her son was in the World Trade Center and was still missing. She held my hand and told me what a wonderful thing we were doing for our country. She wiped the tears from her eyes, and gave me a twenty dollar bill and said godbless you.

I will always remmeber that day.

For me, that is what Scouting is all about, that is what makes it all worth it.

YIS

As an African American Scouter, living in Chicago and being involved, I've had several experiences where wearing my uniform got me notice. One Saturday Afternoon, I had just gotten home from a Troop Meeting and was unloading my car when a gentleman in a truck slammed on his brakes and stopped to ask how can his son get involved. Once I explained what needed to be done the gentleman called and followed up with me until he was able to get his son signed up. Ohter times, I've gotten the looks from others of pride and a couple of God bless you. But overall my experience in wearing this uniform out in public has been one of pride and congrautlations.