When I see someone in a Scout uniform in public

I have immediate respect for him in terms of being someone who is involved with the youth of his community. I would not automatically transfer the ideals of Scouting to the man in the uniform.

If his uniform was a wrinkled, soiled, dirty mess, without all the parts, I would have an all together different impression.

Since you brought up the subject of being out in public while wearing the uniform I have a quick story. Last week while in uniform, I stopped at a Hess Mart for gas and cup of coffee. The attendant wouldn't let me pay for the coffee. I tried a dozen different way to pay for it but he just wouldn't take the money. He said nothing, made no comments just wouldn't take the money for the cup of coffee. I'm not sure if it was a friendly gesture toward a Scout Leader, or if he thought I was in the Army.

foto

My son received a good benefit last night but I'm sure he didn't realize it. We went to school so he could pick up his Sax for band. We were assisting the Pack with it's school night afterwards so we both were in uniform. Turns out the man that owned the music store was an Eagle and my son just made FC so the guy made shure he had a new sax at a used price.

Someone play the theme music from the Twilight Zone.

I just got off the phone. The Cubmaster I was talking too said that she was in Wal mart in uniform and was stooped by two people who wanted information about having their sons sign up.

I informed her that she has to do all of her shopping in uniform from now on.

Eamonn

"If his uniform was a wrinkled, soiled, dirty mess, without all the parts, I would have an all together different impression."

I agree with foto on this.

As for the feeling I would get it also before I got back into Scouting. A deep feeling of respect. Cause I knew what dedication it took to be a Scout Leader.

Aloha,

Ken

I too have experienced positive statements in public in uniform. I also agree that neither youth nor adult should appear in incomplete uniforms or looking generally slovenly in their appearance. The idea of dressing neatly and completely is something that can be taught through proper wearing of the uniform.

Our Troop was in Gettysburg in june. While crossing the parking lot at the museum, an older couple stopped, back up, rolled down their window, and said, "God bless you for working with Scouts." It seemd their son, now an MD, was an Eagle Scout.

Kinda got a lump in my throat...

"If his uniform was a wrinkled, soiled, dirty mess, without all the parts, I would have an all together different impression."

Or if it's a Sunday afternoon between 1 and 5, figure that he/she had just gotten back from a campout and was stopping on the way home before having a chance to change clothes. But ONLY if he had razor stubble to complete the look (for the men, that is - won't go there with women).

I think the feeling of respect ties closely with the bond of brotherhood that scouting often brings. When I see someone else in uniform I would feel both respect and sympathy for the man or woman, as I feel that both myself and the person in uniform have shared common joys in scouting.

I just came back from NOAC, and I was amazed to see so many people in scouting uniforms, and with that came such a warm feeling of respect and brotherhood of which everyone at the conference seemed to share with each other. When I came to realize this brotherhood of scouts, I came to realize how truly magical and worthwhile my scouting experience has been. I'm sure many of you in these forums have had similar experiences, or for a better word, revelations.(This message has been edited by 9muckraker7)(This message has been edited by 9muckraker7)

A few years ago we were returning from a rafting trip and were stopping at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Of course we were traveling in uniform. We checked into one of the chain motels

and the gentleman behind the counter saw we were in uniform and gave us a 10% discount on our rooms. Since we had 5 rooms, we saved about $70 or so!! It does pay to travel in uniform!

Several years ago while we were gathered for a family function my wife and sister-in-law, both scout moms, ran into an ASM and a few scouts in uniform at the local supermarket. The scouts were apparently travelling and spending the night at a nearby campground and were in the market to pick up some items for their dinner. It was supposed to be a quick trip. An hour later my wife and sister-in-law finally returned with the 2-3 items they had gone for. When asked what tool them so long, they said they just had to stay and help the scouts shop!

Moms will be moms.

SA

Last week, a fellow ASM and I took three of our scouts acting as grubmasters to the grocery store. We were all in uniform. We passed an elderly lady who stopped and saluted the boys. It was the Cub salute, but it was the thought that counted. Her grown grandson's had been in scouting and she was thrilled to see our boys out in public in uniform.