Jump to content
69RoadRunner

What If - All High Adventure Camps Cancel

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Original title was ... "What If - All High Adventure Camps Cancel"

My real concern is where we are heading.  Sort of on-plan.  Lots of adjustments.  Nothing solid.  Lots of questions.  Huge possibilities of things changing week to week.  Having to daily / weekly re-confirm with parents / scouts / camps / travel / airlines, etc.  Having to collect money from parents out-of-work, laid-off, at-risk, etc?  Having to deal with families that are flip-flopping with good justification.  

I've coordinated several big cost high adventures.  It's stressful.  It's lots of money.  It's having to commit money at the right time.  It's having to send regular well-written communications.

I'd hate to have the role right now.  It was hard enough when our country was functioning smoothly.  

Even more, I'd hate to be the paid staffers making the decisions about these camps.  When to commit money?  When to place the food orders?  When to tell the staffers to come to work to prepare camp? 

Edited by fred8033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It reads like plain English to me. If I were to rewrite it, I might say:

1. Based on what restrictions are in place for the coming weeks, we can not be ready to start before July 1st, so all events prior to July 1st are cancelled. You will have options for future use. 

2. We do not have enough information at this time that would lead us to cancel any activities beyond July 1st. As long as nobody says "no," we will work toward having a season, if shortened. 

3. With all the best intentions, we want to have treks starting July 1st. HOWEVER

4. Based on the fact that we have had to cancel everything before July 1st, you have every reason to worry that we might cancel more. 

5. What we are trying to do is a risk - that we are pushing ahead with plans to start July 1. We know that is a risk, but we don't know how much of a risk that is. If you are willing to take the risk and wait with us for more information, you will either be rewarded with a trek, or you will have to suffer the loss of some money and time, along with the trek.

6. In the event that we do have the trek, it may not be all we planned before. There may be new restrictions and fewer options. If we don't have the trek, we will try to work with you to make something work so you get the opportunity to enjoy Philmont. 

7. On June 1st, the best we will be able to tell you is that it is either cancelled, or we will continue to plan to have your trek without a guarantee that it won't be cancelled June 2, or the day before your trek. 

8. So, the options are to either run the string out and take the risk with us, or step out now and let's plan to work together for the betterment of Philmont, The BSA, and your scouts. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is "plain" in one sense, but if the state decrees something new post June 1, it will not be announced by June 1st.   So why say otherwise?

 

 Your statements, in contrast, sound candid and professional. 

 

Sometimes we just don't know, and there is no shame in saying so.  That would be "Trustworthy."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received a communication today from one of our local councils and it is as clear as mud. I have no idea what they are saying they are doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My resident Council says they are considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...