Jump to content
69RoadRunner

What If - All High Adventure Camps Cancel

Recommended Posts

As I read more, and get more data from work (I work at a hospital), I'm starting to think that some regions may be opened back by June and some will not. Social distancing compliance as well as population density plays a key role in all of this. In My home state, Ohio, our leaders have been very aggressive about closing things and mandating that business close. Our peak of infections is projected to be in Mid May, and we will only somewhat exceed hospital capacity during the peak. I do not think we'll have much of an early summer here if the projections prove true, and our "peak" of cases will be during that time. 

Places that have already kicked off, like New York City, New Orleans, Seattle, or Atlanta, might be mostly done with it by summer, but will have a catastrophic wave over their healthcare systems, and have many preventable deaths. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Our peak of infections is projected to be in Mid May, and we will only somewhat exceed hospital capacity during the peak. I do not think we'll have much of an early summer here if the projections prove true, and our "peak" of cases will be during that time. 

I'm in Kentucky and we have a similar outlook, except probably not exceeding hospital capacity. However, even if things were safe by early June, I don't know how we get ready for camp then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 12:08 PM, Sentinel947 said:

As I read more, and get more data from work (I work at a hospital), I'm starting to think that some regions may be opened back by June and some will not. Social distancing compliance as well as population density plays a key role in all of this. In My home state, Ohio, our leaders have been very aggressive about closing things and mandating that business close. Our peak of infections is projected to be in Mid May, and we will only somewhat exceed hospital capacity during the peak. I do not think we'll have much of an early summer here if the projections prove true, and our "peak" of cases will be during that time. 

Places that have already kicked off, like New York City, New Orleans, Seattle, or Atlanta, might be mostly done with it by summer, but will have a catastrophic wave over their healthcare systems, and have many preventable deaths. 

Then you'd have to be closed to people coming from areas that are having outbreaks.  I don't think the HA camps could do that.  They can shut down for certain dates, but there's no way they could close just to certain regions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Then you'd have to be closed to people coming from areas that are having outbreaks.  I don't think the HA camps could do that.  They can shut down for certain dates, but there's no way they could close just to certain regions.

That might be a moot point if COVID 19 testing doesn't improve and be more widely used, and if an effective antibody test is not created and distribute to test for immunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update from Philmont:

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus/

Adventure is Unpredictable

Update: 4/1/20 – 1:00 PM

None of us have ever experienced anything like the last few days, weeks, and months.  While we know, this too shall pass, we continue to evaluate what’s next. There are many moving parts, like understanding the impact of New Mexico’s “Stay at Home” order on the pandemic, or how other states responses will impact the virus, how domestic travel regulations will continue to change, and how all of this impacts our Scouting volunteers and their families, our trekking crews, PTC participants, family adventurers and staff. 

We are disappointed that this update can’t contain more decisions but waiting on more data to determine our direction seems prudent.  In the meantime, we continue to prepare for a full summer.  Our commissary has packed trail meals for the planned arrival of 21,500 participants.  Our full-time employees continue to maintain utilities, and prepare roads, backcountry camps, and red roof inns, for your arrival. 

We are doing our part to help stop the spread and have implemented the following measures: 

  • Closed the Ranch to visitors through April 30th and canceled all program groups during this time 
  • Transitioned staff to work from home, where possible 
  • Increased cleaning of common areas and offices 
  • Eliminated salad bars and self-serve areas from our dining hall 
  • Reducing seasonal staff numbers to alleviate communal living 
  • Adjusted work and schedules to follow social distancing 

We asked our seasonal staff, who had planned arrivals between now and April 30th to delay their travel to Philmont until further notice, and we will have an update for them and our May 1 15 staff arrivals on April 15.   

As always, the safety of all our participants, guests, volunteers, and employees is our top priority. 

Currently, any crew requesting a refund would be under the refund policy that is stated in your adult advisor’s guidebook.  Please stay tuned for an update on April 15th, and in the meantime, follow the appropriate guidelines of your local, state and national health officials, as we are doing, and prepare yourself mentally and physically for your summer at Philmont. 

For a joint statement from the High Adventure Bases and information regarding medical forms and Wilderness First Aid click here. 

We will email you with additional updates and information. Updates will also be posted on philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus 

Thank you for your support, 

Roger Hoyt 
General Manager 
Philmont Scout Ranch

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, desertrat77 said:
For a joint statement from the High Adventure Bases and information regarding medical forms and Wilderness First Aid click here.

Roger Hoyt 
General Manager 
Philmont Scout Ranch

From link above. IMHO, if your WFA or CPR re-certification class was cancelled, an accommodation should be made  regarding "current". My $0.02,

Q. My Wilderness First Aid Course has been cancelled; can I still go on my trek?Current WFA certification will continue to be required for all backcountry and remoteadventures. As a reminder, a current CPR/AED certification is a pre-requisite for a WFA course. In addition, we are closely monitoring the status of instructor-led courses and working with our partners at the American Red Cross and Emergency Care and Safety Institute for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community. We will post further information in the next update.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

From link above. IMHO, if your WFA or CPR re-certification class was cancelled, an accommodation should be made  regarding "current". My $0.02,

Q. My Wilderness First Aid Course has been cancelled; can I still go on my trek?Current WFA certification will continue to be required for all backcountry and remoteadventures. As a reminder, a current CPR/AED certification is a pre-requisite for a WFA course. In addition, we are closely monitoring the status of instructor-led courses and working with our partners at the American Red Cross and Emergency Care and Safety Institute for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community. We will post further information in the next update.

It's good they're working on this. We have the same issue for NT.  My son and I are the only ones with current WFA and we have 2 crews.  If necessary, I guess he could go on the other crew.

This all assumes we're able to fill our 2 crews if NT is open.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another fun problem.  One of our adults tried to schedule his annual physical for summer camp.  His doctor and many others aren't scheduling well patients.  So getting a physical done might be a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be no HA this summer. There will be no summer camps. So don't worry about it. Hopefully we can get something figured out for 2021. Nothing is going to happen until there is a vaccine or effective therapeutics and all that is months to a year or years away. Focus on supporting your family and helping the country and your fellow citizens by staying in place during this challenging time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife doctor's office has closed!  Fortunately, the doctor had an answering service, and he called me back.  My only other choice was to take her to the E R.  We are in Oakland County, the worst county in MIchigan for the virus.  The doctor order an antibody for her, and save us a trip to the E R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Here's another fun problem.  One of our adults tried to schedule his annual physical for summer camp.  His doctor and many others aren't scheduling well patients.  So getting a physical done might be a challenge.

I can see this being a problem.  Most all of ours get done in May/June before July summer camp...maybe if we'd "extend the expiration date" on Part C's to 15 months for this summer (just require updated Part A & B).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chisos said:

I can see this being a problem.  Most all of ours get done in May/June before July summer camp...maybe if we'd "extend the expiration date" on Part C's to 15 months for this summer (just require updated Part A & B).

The virus hasn't hit my area too hard yet. I just scheduled a physical at a CVS minute clinic. I shredded my part C from last year... So I have to get one, otherwise if Camp does happen, I'm likely screwed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A ray of good news:

Philmont will honor ECSI Course Completion Card Extension

Update: 4/6/20 – 8:30 AM 

The Emergency Care & Safety Institute (ECSI) has announced a 60-day extension to the validity of their course completion cards for those who are unable to access training. Philmont will honor this extension for crews attending in 2020.  

Philmont recognizes that this does not assist all crews who are struggling to complete the Wilderness First Aid requirements for their trek. We are working with the BSA Health and Safety Team who has continued to monitor the status of instructor-led courses and is working with our partners at the American Red Cross and ECSI for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community.  

Updates will be posted here as they are available.

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...