What If - All High Adventure Camps Cancel

As I read more, and get more data from work (I work at a hospital), I'm starting to think that some regions may be opened back by June and some will not. Social distancing compliance as well as population density plays a key role in all of this. In My home state, Ohio, our leaders have been very aggressive about closing things and mandating that business close. Our peak of infections is projected to be in Mid May, and we will only somewhat exceed hospital capacity during the peak. I do not think we'll have much of an early summer here if the projections prove true, and our "peak" of cases will be during that time. 

Places that have already kicked off, like New York City, New Orleans, Seattle, or Atlanta, might be mostly done with it by summer, but will have a catastrophic wave over their healthcare systems, and have many preventable deaths. 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The promised 15 April update from Philmont.  Upshot:  Go/No Go decision for each high adventure base will be announced on 1 May. https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus/ High A

Yea my NYLT staff is doing some virtual training and presentation practice, but it's likely with the course taking place in early June, that it will be cancelled. 

If treks are cancelled, it will be doubly sad for some Philmont crews.  Many crews that couldn't go because of the Ute Park fire of 2018 opted for a 2020 trek.   Then I recall what happened to my

6 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Our peak of infections is projected to be in Mid May, and we will only somewhat exceed hospital capacity during the peak. I do not think we'll have much of an early summer here if the projections prove true, and our "peak" of cases will be during that time. 

I'm in Kentucky and we have a similar outlook, except probably not exceeding hospital capacity. However, even if things were safe by early June, I don't know how we get ready for camp then.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:08 PM, Sentinel947 said:

As I read more, and get more data from work (I work at a hospital), I'm starting to think that some regions may be opened back by June and some will not. Social distancing compliance as well as population density plays a key role in all of this. In My home state, Ohio, our leaders have been very aggressive about closing things and mandating that business close. Our peak of infections is projected to be in Mid May, and we will only somewhat exceed hospital capacity during the peak. I do not think we'll have much of an early summer here if the projections prove true, and our "peak" of cases will be during that time. 

Places that have already kicked off, like New York City, New Orleans, Seattle, or Atlanta, might be mostly done with it by summer, but will have a catastrophic wave over their healthcare systems, and have many preventable deaths. 

Then you'd have to be closed to people coming from areas that are having outbreaks.  I don't think the HA camps could do that.  They can shut down for certain dates, but there's no way they could close just to certain regions.

7 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Then you'd have to be closed to people coming from areas that are having outbreaks.  I don't think the HA camps could do that.  They can shut down for certain dates, but there's no way they could close just to certain regions.

That might be a moot point if COVID 19 testing doesn't improve and be more widely used, and if an effective antibody test is not created and distribute to test for immunity. 

Update from Philmont:

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus/

Adventure is Unpredictable

Update: 4/1/20 – 1:00 PM

None of us have ever experienced anything like the last few days, weeks, and months.  While we know, this too shall pass, we continue to evaluate what’s next. There are many moving parts, like understanding the impact of New Mexico’s “Stay at Home” order on the pandemic, or how other states responses will impact the virus, how domestic travel regulations will continue to change, and how all of this impacts our Scouting volunteers and their families, our trekking crews, PTC participants, family adventurers and staff. 

We are disappointed that this update can’t contain more decisions but waiting on more data to determine our direction seems prudent.  In the meantime, we continue to prepare for a full summer.  Our commissary has packed trail meals for the planned arrival of 21,500 participants.  Our full-time employees continue to maintain utilities, and prepare roads, backcountry camps, and red roof inns, for your arrival. 

We are doing our part to help stop the spread and have implemented the following measures: 

• Closed the Ranch to visitors through April 30th and canceled all program groups during this time 
  • Transitioned staff to work from home, where possible 
  • Increased cleaning of common areas and offices 
  • Eliminated salad bars and self-serve areas from our dining hall 
  • Reducing seasonal staff numbers to alleviate communal living 
  • Adjusted work and schedules to follow social distancing 

We asked our seasonal staff, who had planned arrivals between now and April 30th to delay their travel to Philmont until further notice, and we will have an update for them and our May 1 15 staff arrivals on April 15.   

As always, the safety of all our participants, guests, volunteers, and employees is our top priority. 

Currently, any crew requesting a refund would be under the refund policy that is stated in your adult advisor’s guidebook.  Please stay tuned for an update on April 15th, and in the meantime, follow the appropriate guidelines of your local, state and national health officials, as we are doing, and prepare yourself mentally and physically for your summer at Philmont. 

For a joint statement from the High Adventure Bases and information regarding medical forms and Wilderness First Aid click here. 

We will email you with additional updates and information. Updates will also be posted on philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus 

Thank you for your support, 

Roger Hoyt 
General Manager 
Philmont Scout Ranch

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, desertrat77 said:
For a joint statement from the High Adventure Bases and information regarding medical forms and Wilderness First Aid click here.

Roger Hoyt 
General Manager 
Philmont Scout Ranch

From link above. IMHO, if your WFA or CPR re-certification class was cancelled, an accommodation should be made  regarding "current". My $0.02,

Q. My Wilderness First Aid Course has been cancelled; can I still go on my trek?Current WFA certification will continue to be required for all backcountry and remoteadventures. As a reminder, a current CPR/AED certification is a pre-requisite for a WFA course. In addition, we are closely monitoring the status of instructor-led courses and working with our partners at the American Red Cross and Emergency Care and Safety Institute for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community. We will post further information in the next update.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

From link above. IMHO, if your WFA or CPR re-certification class was cancelled, an accommodation should be made  regarding "current". My $0.02,

Q. My Wilderness First Aid Course has been cancelled; can I still go on my trek?Current WFA certification will continue to be required for all backcountry and remoteadventures. As a reminder, a current CPR/AED certification is a pre-requisite for a WFA course. In addition, we are closely monitoring the status of instructor-led courses and working with our partners at the American Red Cross and Emergency Care and Safety Institute for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community. We will post further information in the next update.

It's good they're working on this. We have the same issue for NT.  My son and I are the only ones with current WFA and we have 2 crews.  If necessary, I guess he could go on the other crew.

This all assumes we're able to fill our 2 crews if NT is open.

• Upvote 1

There will be no HA this summer. There will be no summer camps. So don't worry about it. Hopefully we can get something figured out for 2021. Nothing is going to happen until there is a vaccine or effective therapeutics and all that is months to a year or years away. Focus on supporting your family and helping the country and your fellow citizens by staying in place during this challenging time. 

My wife doctor's office has closed!  Fortunately, the doctor had an answering service, and he called me back.  My only other choice was to take her to the E R.  We are in Oakland County, the worst county in MIchigan for the virus.  The doctor order an antibody for her, and save us a trip to the E R.

10 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Here's another fun problem.  One of our adults tried to schedule his annual physical for summer camp.  His doctor and many others aren't scheduling well patients.  So getting a physical done might be a challenge.

I can see this being a problem.  Most all of ours get done in May/June before July summer camp...maybe if we'd "extend the expiration date" on Part C's to 15 months for this summer (just require updated Part A & B).

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Chisos said:

I can see this being a problem.  Most all of ours get done in May/June before July summer camp...maybe if we'd "extend the expiration date" on Part C's to 15 months for this summer (just require updated Part A & B).

The virus hasn't hit my area too hard yet. I just scheduled a physical at a CVS minute clinic. I shredded my part C from last year... So I have to get one, otherwise if Camp does happen, I'm likely screwed. 

A ray of good news:

Philmont will honor ECSI Course Completion Card Extension

Update: 4/6/20 – 8:30 AM 

The Emergency Care & Safety Institute (ECSI) has announced a 60-day extension to the validity of their course completion cards for those who are unable to access training. Philmont will honor this extension for crews attending in 2020.  

Philmont recognizes that this does not assist all crews who are struggling to complete the Wilderness First Aid requirements for their trek. We are working with the BSA Health and Safety Team who has continued to monitor the status of instructor-led courses and is working with our partners at the American Red Cross and ECSI for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community.  

Updates will be posted here as they are available.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Philmont...on-line staff training...staff report dates...crew arrival dates....

Philmont Delays Staff Arrival and Invests in Online Training Solutions

Update 4/14/20 – 10:30 AM  

Philmont will be delaying the arrival of staff and condensing the training schedule for the 2020 Summer Season in response to COVID-19 precautions. All 2020 seasonal staff should anticipate a change to their arrival dates. Staff arrivals are planned to begin on May 15th. 

This decision does not affect the arrival of crews beginning on June 8th. Philmont’s management team and hiring managers have been working diligently to develop online training material to condense the amount of time training at PhilmontStaff will be compensated for these new trainings that will be completed prior to arrival. Additionally, backcountry staff will be scattered to their camps as soon as possible to limit the numbers of staff in base camp and increase training times in their respective program areas.  

The new online content is currently in development and will begin to be released in May. Staff can expect communication from their hiring managers as on-site arrival dates and training expectations are updated. 

The Wilderness First Responder and Leave No Trace Master Educator courses have been canceled.  

Philmont remains closed to the public through April 30, following a public health order from the State of New Mexico. As always, your safety and the safety of all our participants, guests, volunteers, and employees is our top priority. 

Philmont and the Boy Scouts of America continue to monitor developments regarding COVID-19 and will provide updates as they are available with scheduled updates on April 15 and May 1. 

We thank you for your continued support and ask that you please follow CDC guidelines to help stop the spread of this virus. 

It is possible to re-purpose HA bases:

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2020/04/15/helping-at-all-times-summit-welcome-center-a-drive-thru-covid-19-testing-site/

Helping at all times: Summit welcome center a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site

... local health officials needed a drive-thru testing site for people suspected of having COVID-19.

The high-adventure base itself sits tucked back among trees, lakes and rolling hills — far from any busy roads. But SBR’s public-facing J.W. & Hazel Ruby West Virginia Welcome Center, located several miles from SBR’s program and camping areas, is right off U.S Route 19, a major thoroughfare in the area.

Combine that convenient location with SBR’s proven ability to coordinate large-scale operations like national jamborees and the 2019 World Jamboree, and the pairing was “an obvious choice,” says Shane Wheeler, SBR’s health and safety manager.

“I see this as a unique opportunity for the organization to shine, to provide a sense of duty and patriotism and support our nation through this troubled time,” Wheeler says.

As of April 10, officials are using the site to conduct testing two days a week, with the ability to ramp up as needed. Nearly 100 people have been tested so far.