Scout Service Under Shelter in Place Conditions?

1 hour ago, BAJ said:

Accepting the critique that I’ve been flagged here as a bad example for the way that I worded my original post, I’m honestly struggling here with how the last few posts have framed service and service hour requirements as distinct from other requirements for advancement in scouting.  

My apologies.  Conversation threads tend to drift.  I did not mean to infer anything wrong specifically with your question.  I was addressing a more general discussion topic.

Please accept my apologies.  We as volunteered are always committed to doing right by our scouts and tend to be very invested.  So when a scout asks such a question, we want to help.  Your question actually reflects well on you as a leader.  It's a general comment about BSA advancement that became the discussion point.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For crying out loud, we have more things to worry about than scouts getting advancements with made up community service projects. The best community service is to stay home and help your family.

Yes, they had lots of other volunteers...and later our county was one of the first locked down in the state, and now has the third highest number of cases in the state.  My line in the sand was t

NEWTOWN, CT: — Scout started a GoFundMe with a $50,000 goal to purchase gift cards from local restaurants and donate them to Danbury Hospital and Newtown first responders on the front lines fighting t

Posted Images

5 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

Trying to setup video conferencing with many folks in nursing homes or rehab hospitals would probably be difficult- big question if the residents have the technology.  Less from an individual "service hours" perspective, but from a group service project, nursing homes and rehab hospitals might be able to setup a smart-TV in a central location (i.e. dining room) that the residents may be able to gather, and you do a group conference with your unit over Zoom, and have the kids take turns sharing pictures they have drawn about what they most are looking forward to doing once the stay-at-home restrictions are lifted, and they can voice-over why they chose that.  Sharing messages of hope right now are valuable, and it so often the interaction that individuals in these places like and need to hear.   

Right now, retirement housing in my town won't allow any gathering. If the virus gets into the building then a lot of people die.

I don't agree that we should suspend or remove service requirements.  It is time to either postpone doing service for safety reasons or adapt to other kinds of service.  My scouts are making masks at home.  There are the designs my wife put together that they use or others that are online with different materials.

There is a lot of need for the masks, we can't keep up with the need currently, and it allows the scouts and families an outlet to feel like they can do something to help in this helpless time.

• Upvote 1

Seems like a great group that is using a little ingenuity to solve a major problem.  I haven't contacted them, but I wonder if others in the Maryland area might be able to organize a donation drop off in their town and get them to this group as a service project: www/facebook.com/BreastPumpVent

Got a virtual patrol meeting going on here. Scouts came up with the idea to make Easter baskets for those in need as revealed on town FB. Their idea - the baskets contain only festive wrapped rolls of TP.  Soon to be dropped off on porches... :D

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

Well national just cancelled all the May National Camping Schools. I don't see them budging on NCAP standards (for liability reasons), so I think this will most likely effect your summer camp status. 

Correction: ALMOST all the May Schools. The one at the end of May at the Summit is still happening. 

Edited by carebear3895

One of our folks is taking a correspondence NCS course. He got the work sent to him and is doing it from home.

Forgot to add, he was suppose to go in March and it was cancelled at the last minute.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
11 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

One of our folks is taking a correspondence NCS course. He got the work sent to him and is doing it from home.

Forgot to add, he was suppose to go in March and it was cancelled at the last minute.

Insetting? Was he attending for a high risk program? (aquatics, cope, shooting sports)