Scouts Working on Awards with Age or Time Deadline

I just received this email.

You should have seen the email from NCAC indicating the closure of the Marriott Scout Service Center beginning Thursday 19 March. 

I want to highlight information included in that email from NCAC:

Life Scouts and others working on awards with an age or time deadline should contact their District Executive with questions. Many requirements for these awards can be completed virtually. We are currently working with BSA to secure guidance on extensions and other challenges caused by this unprecedented public health event. Watch the NCAC Facebook page or https://www.ncacbsa.org/covid for updates.

This is especially relevant for Scouts finishing Eagle requirements and close to their 18th birthday. Please follow NCAC, CDC and state health department guidance on numbers of people working on an Eagle project and consider whether this is the right time to do that project. 

Share with your units and affected Scouts as necessary.
  • Upvote 1

I have a scout who turns 18 in mid May.  He only has once merit badge left, and is on target to complete that with no issues.  The problem may be his Eagle project.  It was supposed to be improvements to a structure at a city park but a recent change in the city park director along with the coronavirus may throw a wrench in his getting it completed.

1 hour ago, MacBrave said:

I have a scout who turns 18 in mid May.  He only has once merit badge left, and is on target to complete that with no issues.  The problem may be his Eagle project.  It was supposed to be improvements to a structure at a city park but a recent change in the city park director along with the coronavirus may throw a wrench in his getting it completed.

Contact the DE and ask for advice. I can't imagine they won't extend the time, but there might be a process that should be followed. Also, your scout might be the reason they come up with policies for this problem now, which is going to catch a lot of scouts in the same boat. 

Barry

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, MacBrave said:

I have a scout who turns 18 in mid May.  He only has once merit badge left, and is on target to complete that with no issues.  The problem may be his Eagle project.  ...

Most definitely file for an extension! Most parks do not want large group gatherings, and that would include a number of scouts working on a project together.

I would be happy if National extended the age deadline for all scouts who turned 18 this month if they are willing to serve as ASMs -- not just for eagle, but Life and Star as well. There are a number of Scouts with time on their hands, and there are a lot of service projects that will be piling up.

Edited by qwazse

The problem National might have is, right now, they don't know how long this is going to last. It's difficult to know what kind of extension is necessary.

They could start with some kind of extension and indicate that they will adjust as necessary.  There's not much scouts can do except for independent MB work and virtual meetings with MB counselors.

Edited by 69RoadRunner

@69RoadRunner, I was thinking that we should extend it through December for any scout who turned 18 during this national emergency and was willing to serve as an ASM. That would not only help ambitious scouts who were about to knock out their next rank, it would motivate scouts who maybe had given up on advancement a chance to try for that next award (be it 2nd class or their next Palm).

MB work is, by definition, independent ... at most in small groups no greater than 10. What's novel is the virtual meetings with MBCs.

The really tough part: getting two adults to support a patrol activity. Then, leading that activity or leading the troop remotely.

• Upvote 1