50th Jubilee Camporee Patch

My first campout as a Scout was a weekend "Jubilee Camporee" in 1960. All the Scouts in my Troop were awarded the "50th Jubilee Camporee" patch. We were told to wear it above the pocket on the wearer's right side and I saw many Scouts wear it in that location years ago.  However, the BSA Guide to Awards and Insignia only mentions wearing a National Jamboree patch in that location. 

Does anyone know who I can ask to see if I can wear it in that location? I emailed Bryan on the "Bryan on Scouting" blog but did not get a response.

Thanks a lot.

1985940926_JubileePatch.jpg.3f24c16fbc666f5c1065ef86dc3b32b2.jpg

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, kmcsenior said:

My first campout as a Scout was a weekend "Jubilee Camporee" in 1960. All the Scouts in my Troop were awarded the "50th Jubilee Camporee" patch. We were told to wear it above the pocket on the wearer's right side and I saw many Scouts wear it in that location years ago.  However, the BSA Guide to Awards and Insignia only mentions wearing a National Jamboree patch in that location. 

Does anyone know who I can ask to see if I can wear it in that location? I emailed Bryan on the "Bryan on Scouting" blog but did not get a response.

Thanks a lot.

1985940926_JubileePatch.jpg.3f24c16fbc666f5c1065ef86dc3b32b2.jpg

You both can and may IIRC.

@kmcsenior, welcome to the forums! Please do not let insignia dorks get you down.

Yes, that piece of real-estate on a modern uniform is reserved for national and world scout jamborees. (And at that, we were all confused as to which of the three patches we were given for this past WSJ were meant to be "the" one.) But, your patching being a piece of history -- a rare and valuable window into your (and our nation's) past -- nobody will ask you to move it elsewhere. Worst case scenario: -1 point on inspection by someone who probably forgot what it was like to be a child. Worth the hit in my book.

In a perfect world you would have the memo from your council that directed you as a scout to place it there. (Stuff like that really adds historic "value" patches like this.) But, other clippings emphasizing the event's importance will do. For example, this from my cursory google search: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36058946/cam-nisatin-news-19-apr-1960/. Even with such documentation, someone may perseverate on the possible appropriateness for a vintage uniform, but not the current Oscar De LaRenta design.

Was this event truly on a scale comparable to the jamborees? If @TAHAWK recalls it. It's good enough for me.

Many thanks for the reply. 

It bothers me that there is no one designated at the National Council who can rule on these matters. A uniform is, by definition, "uniform". And if there is such a person (or committee), then making contact should not be a secret. And it shouldn't be up to unofficial "bloggers" to have to decide for the whole movement. Seems relatively easy: designate an Executive who has the authority to rule on such matters.

I think there was a special uniform police blue ribbon task force  but they could not agree where to wear their badge.  :laugh:

Found this on internet.  More wrong than right may not be "official uniform" but sure looks back-in-the-day authentic to me.  Note , hot chocolate stains are in a camouflage pattern. :)

My $0.02,

vintage-official-1960s-boy-scouts_1_73e1

I have a copy of that in my stuff.  Keep saying I am going to find someone to play all the various records and save them to modern files for easy use.  Have a number of them.  Similarly with my 15+ pieces of sheet music.  Get someone to play them and record.  I have only heard about 4 or 5 of them.  

I have heard the Ives record.  It is typical Byrl.  

Edited by skeptic

I just followed the link from Schiff, but it may have taken me somewhere not on subject completely.  There were a full compliment of the golden patches; the hardest to find are Schiff and Philmont, and the most common is the one in the OP query.  Have to go look at the historical stuff, but think there was also a SOR version.  In one of my books I have the complote set.  At the 75th, they put out a very large assortment of similar patches for many different events.  I believe I finally tracked all of them down and also have them in my "stuff'.  Have a bag of Centennial items that are just that, a bag.  But still lots of items.  I have the 50th, 75th, and 110th all represented on my one official shirt; the 50th Jambo is on the right pocket, the diamond jambo is a name tag as an ASM, and the centennial is in the proper place above the pocket, a staff.  My choice to brag just a bit that I attended all three of those jambos.  Probably get a ticket from the UP, but really do not care.   

It would seem that you could only wear it on the pocket as a temporary patch; however, using a plastic protector over the button above that pocket would work or on a jacket or vest. In 1960 they had a bunch of jubilee patches

On 3/13/2020 at 3:37 PM, kmcsenior said:

... It bothers me that there is no one designated at the National Council who can rule on these matters. A uniform is, by definition, "uniform" ...

Wait, someone here quoted the official word from National, let's see where did I read it ... Oh, here:

On 3/13/2020 at 12:36 PM, kmcsenior said:

... However, the BSA Guide to Awards and Insignia only mentions wearing a National Jamboree patch in that location.  ...

This is not a Jamboree patch. Putting it over your right pocket is non-standard. Nobody has produced documentation to the contrary.

When I mentioned the '-1 point', I should have referenced the uniform inspection sheet. I assumed you would know that source.

So, from official documentation, you have your answer, and you have the maximum penalty for disregarding it. Plus no small dose of personal opinion on the matter!

Sorry if that you are left with unofficial "bloggers" to have to decide for the whole movement. The whole movement is volunteer run.

Personally, I'm happy with a guide to what I should do. I don't need an insignia czar earning six-figures compiling a list of what I shouldn't do. That's Mrs. Q.'s job.:ph34r:

I agree with you about not needing a "uniform czar", but it would be nice to at least have someone in HQ who could answer a simple email about uniform matters, even if the answer is "See the Uniform Guide p. xxx". I don't think that is too much to ask, particularly when it might be an "off the wall" question like mine.

In 1960 I wore the "legacy uniform" that you probably wore as well (before we let some fashion designer ruin the design of the uniform). The Jubilee Camporee patch was a National patch - not a local Council patch. There must have been a regulation back then about where to put it on the uniform. All I would like is for someone at HQ look at the regulations in effect back in 1960 and see what it said. It seems reasonable to me that it could still be worn on the new uniform in the same place. I'm sure that HQ would have all the uniform regulations for all the years.

Another question: If the patch was authorized to be worn on the right pocket, what happened when the "new" uniform and the "new" regulations went into effect? Would a Scouter not be allowed to wear it on the "new" uniform? Why would that be? I think it is quite a distinction to be able to say "I participated in the National Jubilee Camporee" along with thousands of Scouts.

Another question: What patch, if any, was authorized for the 100th Jubilee in 2010? Was there a patch? If so, what is it and where is it worn? Does anyone know?

Temporary insignia is just that -- items which were received, earned or given to a Scout, Venturer, Scouter or Venturing leader -- for participating in or service as part of a national, regional or local event or activity. It is always worn one at a time, may either be attached to or suspended from the right pocket, and the guidance is that each individual chooses which item goes there for the period he or she chooses."

BSA Administration Manual, "Uniform and Insignia" (section 23 in 2005 version of manual, starting at page 23-4)

I apologize for lack of clarity.in my original response.  By "right side" I  assumed that you meant right pocket, as contrasted to above the right pocket.  Above the  right pocket is reserved for jamboree participation patches, interpreter strip, a a couple of other very obscure items.