Eagle Scout Rank Application Question

My son is completing his Eagle Scout Rank Application and we had a question about what date to put here: Date joined Scouts BSA?

Is this the date that he earned the Scout Rank, the day he earned Arrow of Light, or neither?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Don't overthink that question.

We advise to put the crossover date, or first meeting date.  It can be a bit fuzzy with applications, processing, etc.  Never had an issue

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 1

It should be the date that he joined the Troop.  As posted above never had an issue with this date.  The best person to ask is your local councils registrar since they are the one that checked all the information on  the Eagle application before and Eagle Board can be scheduled.   

Thank you for the information!  One other question regarding the application... Does the letter of reflection have to be completed before my son gets his application signed by his Scoutmaster and Committee leader? Or does he have to have this ready and available for his Eagle Scout Board of Review?

13 minutes ago, jcprofit17 said:

Thank you for the information!  One other question regarding the application... Does the letter of reflection have to be completed before my son gets his application signed by his Scoutmaster and Committee leader? Or does he have to have this ready and available for his Eagle Scout Board of Review?

No

He only needs to provide the information at the time of the application.

Also on the letters for reference they only need to be asked for, but it is not a required.  From the Guide to Advancement - A board of review must not be denied or postponed
due to unresponsive references.

1 hour ago, jcprofit17 said:

I've had a lot of scouts asking me about the letter of reflection recently. The SM or CC do not need to see it. For our council it goes in with the application and is not graded, they just check that it's done. It should be the scouts own words, and I've encouraged scouts to keep it to one page. (Or two, double-spaced.) It is for use in "preparation for your board of review".

Thank you for the information.  My son plans on having his Scoutmaster and Committee Chair sign his application this week, but hasn't written his letter of reflection yet. I am glad to hear that it is not required just yet.

Before I sign the actual application I do review it for being complete.  As part of that I read the "reflection", partly as consistent with my final conference before the board.  Personally, I on occasion suggest a rewrite so that it is a bit clearer and to perhaps proofed for major grammar or spelling issues.  If they choose to not, that is their option.  But, as I explain, this reflects on them as well, and so they should attempt to do it well.  Just my approach.  The main thing is that it is "their" thoughts.

Lots of good advice. A few other thoughts.

1. Contact the council to get a transcript of their advancement records. I have seen Scouts get delayed because council records were messed up.

2. MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING! I have had a Scout "never turn in the paperwork." when he had a photo of him turning in the paperwork. Another time a Scout's BOR signed application was "never turned in," when the paperwork for the other 2 EBORs that night were received and processed.

When you say "letter of reflection" do you mean "statement of your ambitions and life purpose"?

If so then yes it is required before the Scoutmaster and Committee Chair sign.  It is part of Requirement #6.  By signing the Scoutmaster and Committee Chair are certifying that requirements 1 - 6 are complete.

• Upvote 1