Events being cancelled? Or modified?

16 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

We have our mulch fundraiser delivery Friday and Saturday of next week.  We have to deliver thousands of bags of mulch that people ordered and paid us.  Our concern is Council or BSA suspending all events.  If this happens after we place the order with the mulch company and before we deliver, there will be no choice but to have adults delivering the mulch without scouts.

We can't leave the mulch at the community pool and we have to pay for the mulch.

Any other event we could cancel, but it's simply not possible with this.

Even if the Council or National want to cancel their activities, they do not control unit activities. That would fall more to the CO. If they did control the units in that way, I bet it wouldn't matter if it were just the adults delivering mulch.  It would still be a unit activity.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone in the world is going to wish that they did everything they did three weeks earlier than they did it.  NY is somewhere around 1 week away from running out of hospital beds.  If you don't live

Looking on the bright side of things,  I am trying to encourage my scouts to take initiative on merit badge work,  and find things they are interested in doing rather independently while at home.   Ma

This is exactly what a reasonable leader should be thinking right now, in my opinion.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, awanatech said:

Even if the Council or National want to cancel their activities, they do not control unit activities. That would fall more to the CO. If they did control the units in that way, I bet it wouldn't matter if it were just the adults delivering mulch.  It would still be a unit activity.

We're working with out CO on this. We don't anticipate a problem with that.

While National and/or Council can't control unit activities, I think it is a good idea that we all consult our local and/or state public health statements.  If the local officials are asking folks to avoid gatherings over a certain size, I would say it is best to not ruffle their feathers.  Not worth staining your units reputation with your local community.

Our CO has put all the state precautions into effect.  That includes trying to keep a small distance, six feet, between individuals that ARE meeting.  All group gathering are postponed, including our weekly church services.  Much is precautionary, but in the case of our church, half or more of the congregation is in the higher risk categories.  And many groups that use the facility are already higher risk individuals such as the Anonymous groups.  So here we sit.

• Upvote 2

NCAC canceled all Scout events until 30 April.  Maryland governor closes all public schools and Maryland college system.  Scout District decided to cancel/postpone/reschedule all upcoming events (District PWD, SMS training, Camporee....).   Hunkering down time. 

Our schools are closed now. Because our Troop meets at the school, we’re automatically canceled. Our committee meeting was canceled as well, so I’m anticipating a lot of email upcoming. 

Our Crew held our last leaders’ meeting last night. We have tentative plans for a day trip at the end of March - replacing a cabin camping trip. We’ll reevaluate the week before. The church where our monthly meeting is held closes tomorrow, but we already canceled the meeting for next week. 

It will be a tougher call going forward, imho, to cancel bigger scout events at both local and regional levels. My youngest was/is really looking forward to his first year at Sabattis for summer camp. 

• Sad 1

We received this from our council earlier this evening.

"Scouting continues, and we encourage each family to use time together for work already found in your Scouting Handbook – earn Cub Scout electives, learn now and prepare for your next Scouts BSA or Venturing rank advancement, and plan to finish or start new merit badges.  We recommend Public Health merit badge and the associated belt loops – there are lots of ways to use this time to better yourself and those around you. 

Meetings for your unit (Pack, Troop, Crew, Post) will continue at the discretion of your unit leaders and chartering organization.  Use guidance from the CDC as you consider any possible meetings.  Explore the technology available via telephones and computers to meet digitally."

We cancelled a campout this weekend.  Schools are closed here in Ohio, including our Catholic parish school.  We've received guidance from our parish CO that any meeting approaching 100 people is cancelled, which could mean our COH in a few weeks.  Our regular meetings are allowed to go forward because they're smaller than that, BUT the other restriction is that we should maintain social distancing if we do hold a meeting.  They defined that as keeping a distance of three feet, although I have seen some recommendations of six feet.

So we're not sure yet what we're going to do about meetings.  I know the three feet doesn't mean never get near each other, but it's still a tough thing to picture.

Without having talked to any of the leaders, my guess is we'll probably cancel this week and next and see where we are after that.

21 hours ago, swilliams said:

It will be a tougher call going forward, imho, to cancel bigger scout events at both local and regional levels.

If Broadway, MLB, NBA, PGA, LPGA, NCAA etc. all stay shutdown, and Universities and businesses are still working remote, BSA (and other youth serving programs) won't have a choice about closing summer camps and regional events.  The political pressure will just be too great.