Events being cancelled? Or modified?

5 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

Sounds like one of the "oh it'll be fine don't be such an old woman!"  brigade. If it's not absolutely essential, it should stop. A camaraderie bonfire is a nice to have.

I haven't heard it come out of the SM's mouth, but my suspicion is that you're right.  He seems like the type who could be listening to many of the people who have been downplaying this crisis.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone in the world is going to wish that they did everything they did three weeks earlier than they did it.  NY is somewhere around 1 week away from running out of hospital beds.  If you don't live

Looking on the bright side of things,  I am trying to encourage my scouts to take initiative on merit badge work,  and find things they are interested in doing rather independently while at home.   Ma

This is exactly what a reasonable leader should be thinking right now, in my opinion.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, SteveMM said:

I haven't heard it come out of the SM's mouth, but my suspicion is that you're right.  He seems like the type who could be listening to many of the people who have been downplaying this crisis.

Trouble is, it's kind of human nature. I don't know anyone with it. It feels like hype when they're banging on about it on the news and the numbers are tiny. We were kind of feeling the same when UK scouting stopped, a week before we'd gone up to London and had a grand day out running round the place and jumping on and off tubes and buses. We felt like we were right and okay and not panicking and not being big girls blouses about it all. I still don't regret doing it. We wanted to carry on, "let's do outside activities instead" sort of thing, just like your SM. Trouble is, you are in the dark the whole time, you don't really know if you're overreacting, or not taking it seriously enough, and you might never know, but you might know you didn't do enough when you or yours get it, and it's far far too late. I know it's not a death sentence but I still don't fancy getting it much.

Edited by ianwilkins

The governor of VA just ended the 2019-2020 school year.  We use an elementary school for meetings.

While it's possible they could open facilities at some point without there being school, I have to wonder.  

Should this situation clear up for life in general, I suppose we could meet at the church we sometimes use do something else.  

59 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

The governor of VA just ended the 2019-2020 school year.  We use an elementary school for meetings.

While it's possible they could open facilities at some point without there being school, I have to wonder.  

Should this situation clear up for life in general, I suppose we could meet at the church we sometimes use do something else.  

I guess I don't understand; who wants to go to meetings?

Barry

3 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Barry

I mean if things become normal enough before the end of the school/scout year. There are a lot of unknowns and I'm looking at the optimistic possibilities.

• Upvote 1

Even though all the schools here are on temporary (we're all sure it will permanent soon) shutdown, the district I'm most acquainted with has restricted access to the school buildings to approved by the superintendent only. To help with them not having to keep disinfecting areas that have already been cleaned. No teachers or administrators can go in without approval. I can imagine other school districts doing the same, limiting entry to keep from costly re-cleaning procedures already taken. However the buildings have opened up limited use to the kitchens to allow feeding kids in curbside pickup. 

It is truly unique times we're living in. 

12 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Barry

There are Scout leaders out there still who want to do some kind of meeting in person, either because they believe this is all hype or because they feel it's important that the boys continue seeing each other face-to-face.  They're wrong, of course.  

Edited by SteveMM
  • Upvote 2

Update on our troop situation: I sent a note to the committee chair and assistant scoutmaster, expressing my opinion that we should cancel the meeting this week and then explore video options.  Basically, I did an end-around on the SM because he seemed to be dead set on meetings outdoors while doing service work.  The ASM responded that he was on board with my plan.  I haven't heard from the committee chair, but based on my conversation with him last week, I think that's how things will go.

4 minutes ago, SteveMM said:

There are Scout leaders out there still who want to do some kind of meeting in person, either because they believe this is all hype or because they feel it's important that the boys continue seeing each other face-to-face.  They're wrong, of course.  

I don't think this is hype at all.  I have no thoughts of having meetings anytime soon.  I was hoping to not YET give up on this scout year.

I would not hold meetings until it's deemed safe to do so.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I don't think this is hype at all.  I have no thoughts of having meetings anytime soon.  I was hoping to not YET give up on this scout year.

I would not hold meetings until it's deemed safe to do so.

This is exactly what a reasonable leader should be thinking right now, in my opinion.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, SteveMM said:

I wasn't thinking right or wrong, I was thinking that scouting is way way down on a families priority list. They can call a meeting, but even in the best conditions, who would come.

Barry

56 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

Even if everything went best case scenario and this summer we were free from Coronavirus, those athletes can't train.  Also this is a HUGE event. It should have been obvious that this needed to be postponed.

I also appreciate the admittedly immature giggle I get at the name of the person who announced this from the IOC.  But I'll be a good scouter and not mention that name here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I also appreciate the admittedly immature giggle I get at the name of the person who announced this from the IOC.  But I'll be a good scouter and not mention that name here. 

I'm relieved you mentioned that, because I chuckled as well!

• Upvote 1