Events being cancelled? Or modified?

Due to coronavirus, has anyone cancelled or not booked a planned event? Has your council or district done so?

We have a big camp-in scheduled but are now on the fence about going.  We need to book & pay this week. For reference we are in NJ sandwiched by 5 cases above us and 1 case below us. I think the majority of scouters are not worried about the virus, but more about quarantines since NJ has a few hundred folks in self quarantine already and it has just begun here.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone in the world is going to wish that they did everything they did three weeks earlier than they did it.  NY is somewhere around 1 week away from running out of hospital beds.  If you don't live

Looking on the bright side of things,  I am trying to encourage my scouts to take initiative on merit badge work,  and find things they are interested in doing rather independently while at home.   Ma

This is exactly what a reasonable leader should be thinking right now, in my opinion.

Posted Images

I'm out here in Transatlantic Council, Mediterranean Distict.

The World Scout Interreligious Symposium scheduled for this week in Jambville (Paris) France has been indefinitely postponed.

We delayed our Annual Conference / University of Scouting event set for this coming weekend in Germany. 

Several of our troops in Italy have cancelled events, and our District is planning an event over memorial day weekend in Florence that is still on - but we are watching carefully and, perhaps a month from now, will have to decide whether it continues. 

9 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Call the council to ask if they will refund if governing health agencies impose community or individual restrictions.  Ask for an email confirmation.

That's a great idea. Thanks

On 3/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, karunamom3 said:

Due to coronavirus, has anyone cancelled or not booked a planned event? Has your council or district done so?

We have a big camp-in scheduled but are now on the fence about going.  We need to book & pay this week. For reference we are in NJ sandwiched by 5 cases above us and 1 case below us. I think the majority of scouters are not worried about the virus, but more about quarantines since NJ has a few hundred folks in self quarantine already and it has just begun here.

We are one of the towns who have a case now. Our schools are closed today for cleaning, so that means our troop meeting is canceled. 

I was thinking of starting a thread talking about suggestions for continuing the program while trying to deal with this. New topic, or post here?

2 minutes ago, swilliams said:

We are one of the towns who have a case now. Our schools are closed today for cleaning, so that means our troop meeting is canceled. 

I was thinking of starting a thread talking about suggestions for continuing the program while trying to deal with this. New topic, or post here?

This is as good a topic as any to discuss contingency plans for meetings.

If your scouts live within line-of-site, semaphore should work fine.:D

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, swilliams said:

We had our Scout meeting entirely outdoors last night.  Except for getting flags and going to restrooms.  Our sponsor requested we station an adult at the door with hand sanitizer to give everyone a squirt, and also asked for handwashing immediately upon entry (yes, right after the sanitizer.)  We cheerfully complied.

Our Scouts have never been cleaner! 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

We had our Scout meeting entirely outdoors last night.  Except for getting flags and going to restrooms.  Our sponsor requested we station an adult at the door with hand sanitizer to give everyone a squirt, and also asked for handwashing immediately upon entry (yes, right after the sanitizer.)  

Good ideas. Now that it stays lighter later outside may be an option. At least for our cubs.

12 hours ago, swilliams said:

Here is fine. I will see if I can update the title.

Edited by karunamom3

Well, shucks!

I was all excited to attend our annual, regional Commissioner College up in L.A. this Saturday - traditionally, all the commissioners from my district would carpool the 90-minute drive north to Sherman Oaks for a day of quality classes and mingling, followed by a nice meal on the way home. I went last year for the first time, and it was actually a lot of fun -  I even bought a new Scout shirt for the year (I have finally out-grown my youth-sized shirt)!

But NO, I just got word that the SoCAL Commissioner College has been CANCELLED/POSTPONED (they aren't sure yet). Fie! A pox on this illness and the havoc it wreaks upon this world!

• MattR changed the title to Events being cancelled? Or modified?