1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

We have 27 registered Scouts, but on this particular campout I had 9 Scouts and 8 parents.  All but two parents are registered leaders, but still new enough they don't know what to do.

One of my WB items is going to create a Pack cookbook so hopefully adults (or Scouts) have an available source for proven recipies.

A few times I looked around and the adults were sitting in their chairs AT their individual tents.  They set around the fire some, but by 8:30 everyone was gone. 

I would encourage you to get a more deliberate in planning with your parents.  My suggestion:

• aim for a pack camping trip with 20+ scouts attending
  • set the location to be a nice group campground within a 45 minute drive.
  • set the location 6 months ahead of time.  start planning 6 months ahead of time.
  • Have dedicated meetings on the camping trip 5 months out, 3 months out, and then 1 month out.  These are parents meetings - involve an adult beverage or two
  • Define roles.  Be obnoxious about filling them.  Stand up at pack meetings and ask parents to sign up.  If someone isn't signed up ask if they can help in the kitchen.

At the event...

• camp for two nights. 
  • Have an informal campfire Friday night - roast marshmallows.
  • all meals are joint meals among the pack.  FInd a main chef.  Always have 2-3 other people helping the chef - always
  • Don't worry about Friday dinner, but do have Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner.  Have Sunday breakfast.
  • Have a combination of events and downtime during the day Saturday
  • Have a pack campfire Saturday night.  Do some skits, songs.  Do marshmallows again
  • Bed time is 9pm for Scouts.  Don't enforce it till 10pm.
  • Adults stay up and shoot the bull.  As Cubmaster be enthusiastic.  "Hey guys, what did you think of the game today?  What should we do next time?"
  • Upvote 2

I highly recommend a decent hammock.  Check other threads for hammock camping tips.  I sleep better in my hammock on a hillside than I sleep at home on our $2000 mattress.

When the others retire early, I crawl in and read a book on my phone until I drift off.  The little gear tie twists are great for hanging a small LED flashlight from your bug screen.  The only challenge when Cub camping is late night latrine visits.  Once you settle into your hammock, your really are reluctant to come out...

18 hours ago, njdrt-rdr said:

I've given up on getting decent sleep on a campout. I come home wiped out every time and it takes me a day or so to recouperate.

As JoeBob said, a hammock was the best thing I ever bought for camping.  I'm still going to take a nap on Sunday afternoon, but I'm no longer so tired that I'm not functional.  A 20 minute shower and an hour or two nap and I'm pretty much recovered.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:04 AM, elitts said:

As JoeBob said, a hammock was the best thing I ever bought for camping.  I'm still going to take a nap on Sunday afternoon, but I'm no longer so tired that I'm not functional.  A 20 minute shower and an hour or two nap and I'm pretty much recovered.

So, one of my issues is lying flat. At home I actually sleep in a recliner. I've done a hammock and it was more comfortable in that than flat in a tent, once I got in it. But body build doesn't lend itself to hammock camping. I'm short and really fat and have difficulty getting in and out of the hammock. I did try a hammock  at summer camp and it was strung up inside a lean-to that had a closed in front. So when I rolled out of the thing onto the floor to get up in the morning it wasn't visible to everyone in camp...LOL...I also have trouble because I'm short and I can't reach high enough on the trees to tie up a hammock and a rain fly. I did purchase a hammock with a bug net built in but after trying it, I fear me getting stuck inside the thing when I can't sit up to get to the zipper to open the bug net. When we are camping close to the parking lot where we are,  I've actually resorted to just sleeping in seat in my van now. 

3 hours ago, njdrt-rdr said:

So, one of my issues is lying flat. At home I actually sleep in a recliner. I've done a hammock and it was more comfortable in that than flat in a tent, once I got in it. But body build doesn't lend itself to hammock camping. I'm short and really fat and have difficulty getting in and out of the hammock. I did try a hammock  at summer camp and it was strung up inside a lean-to that had a closed in front. So when I rolled out of the thing onto the floor to get up in the morning it wasn't visible to everyone in camp...LOL...I also have trouble because I'm short and I can't reach high enough on the trees to tie up a hammock and a rain fly. I did purchase a hammock with a bug net built in but after trying it, I fear me getting stuck inside the thing when I can't sit up to get to the zipper to open the bug net. When we are camping close to the parking lot where we are,  I've actually resorted to just sleeping in seat in my van now. 

Actually, this means you might find the classic Hennessy Hammock a PERFECT fit.  The classic Hennessy hammock uses a bottom entry system to get in.  You split the two sides, lower the hammock down over you, then sit down and pull your feet in.  When you pull your feet in, your weight pulls the two sides closed and seals the velcro.  You can set the hammock up so the bottom is only like 12"-18" off the ground and not have any issues at all with getting in.

Getting out can be somewhat more complicated, but this is easily fixed with a very simple change.  To get out, you use your toes to split the seam and stick your feet out and get them planted on the ground.  From here, those of us who are more apple shaped can have an issue because you need to sit up in a swinging hammock.  But this difficulty is resolved by tying a rope to the tree your feet point at, then pulling the rope through the velcro seam with you when you get it.  So all you have to do is get your feet on the ground, then pull yourself into a seated position with the rope.