Displaying "gently used" Troop Flag

Good Morning ladies and gents,

I am involved in a Troop that has a "gently used" troop flag, that we just replaced. We thing its from the 1960s. Made of Linen and has embroidered Letters. With patches from the world Brotherhood campouts ranging from the mid 70s to the 90s. 

The committee has discussed what to do with it, and other than rejecting the option of selling it, we are not sure how to proceed.  We know we would like to clean it up and Display it. Several locations discussed have been: City Hall, The church that is our Chartering Organization and others.

SO #1 what is a safe way to get it clean, so we can preserve it?

and #2 what is a great way to display it, so that we can show pride in our history and recruit, and inspire the scouts.

Thanks again,

Yours in Scouting,

Robert Hynes

Troop flag.png

I would consult a professional dry cleaner and see what they suggest.  Once cleaned, I would have it framed with archival acid-free backing and UV-blocking glass.  I just had some signed Norman Rockwell prints done and it was less than $250 for both including triple matting.  I thought it was a bargain.  This is a historical treasure and I hope you have a place of honor to display it!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Agree with @scoutldr . The same folks who restore bridal gowns should know how to clean this. If you all have a wall, mount it. When you do, use a backing that highlights the faded colors (i.e. red underneath red white underneath white). Some preservationists hire artists who can re-dye the color with a brush. I think that would be overkill.

If you want to fold it into a small box, you would probably need to remove the patches, but I can't imagine it would look good at all.

Question: did your entire troop go to the National Jamboree? Or did one or two scouts/adults from your troop go, and someone gave the troop their patch?

Edited by qwazse
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Question: did your entire troop go to the National Jamboree? Or did one or two scouts/adults from your troop go, and someone gave the troop their patch?

I cant really answer that question,  As I just "arrived" a few years ago. But to clarify, its the World Brotherhood of Scouting held by the Canadian/US Scouts. I know that the troop used to send the boys up every year, with it alternating sides of the border they held in on. the first patch on there is 1974 I and it goes up until 2013.  One of the Scoutmasters is still around and he still goes up every year. 

Not on the topic, but had to smile when I saw the Jefferson-Lewis and Seaway council patches.  As an old Lowville pack and troop member back in the 90s.  I spent a few days back and forth with US/Canada camporees.  I had a love for Camp Portaferry and that was sold too.  Good memories in the patches on that flag.  Fly it and display it until it is threads. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, qwazse said:

I saw the one national jamboree patch, from '81, and was just curious. That was the year that I went.

Is that the Virginia Patch ? The picture didn't get a great shot of it, and the flag is at the church so I cant go look it up at the moment.  

27 minutes ago, roberthynesii said:

Is that the Virginia Patch ? The picture didn't get a great shot of it, and the flag is at the church so I cant go look it up at the moment.  

Yep. The bright yellow rounded-rectangle. Ft. A.P. Hill Virginia, 1981. I'm sure you've had a few scouts go to other national (maybe even world) jamborees, but only that one made it to your flag. Ask around, I bet someone knows the story.

In general, with any piece like this, you want as full a story as possible. For example, if someone has rosters of participants, list them on acid-free paper and put it in an envelope behind the display or frame the list. Heck, if you have complete troop rosters, list every member and footnote as to which events big events they attended.

Details like that really add value to the item -- not monetary value -- but historical value ... to make sure that the display stays wherever it's mounted.

Edited by qwazse
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Yep. The bright yellow rounded-rectangle. Ft. A.P. Hill Virginia, 1981. I'm sure you've had a few scouts go to other national (maybe even world) jamborees, but only that one made it to your flag. Ask around, I bet someone knows the story.

In general, with any piece like this, you want as full a story as possible. For example, if someone has rosters of participants, list them on acid-free paper and put it in an envelope behind the display or frame the list. Heck, if you have complete troop rosters, list every member and footnote as to which events big events they attended.

Details like that really add value to the item -- not monetary value -- but historical value ... to make sure that the display stays wherever it's mounted.

That's a great idea, Ill have to comb the filing cabinets to see what records we have. I'm hoping the church will give us some space to display it.... its vey big. Id love for everyone to be able to see it outside of the scout basement, which doesn't get a ton of outside traffic. 

*Only one person suggested selling it, and that was rejected strait away. Monetary value is not something we are considering. 

• 3 months later...

I attended my first of many World Brotherhood Camporees  in 1975.  Always remember the Havre de Grace troop. They used to have the Harford County, MD patches. I later moved to the Southern Tier of NY where the Susquehanna River is, which ends in Havre de Grace. My sister now lives there. 

Maybe display in a more public place such as the duck decoy museum where scouters from US and Canada can see it. 

0E9C404D-D8F6-497A-8FEC-852ED4AA4AB7.jpeg

Edited by BernieMcD81
Spelling
  • Like 1

AH yes, another Murlin Scouter heard from.   Greetings from Mungmry County......  Yes,  dry clean, especially non-carbona use.   You can also contact the Smithsonian, they will advise on such things as preserving fabric artifacts.

My story:   I was my Troops first Eagle, 1963....   The Troop was founded in 1956 or so.   I "grew up" and moved away.  When I returned with Scoutson (very pleased he chose my old "home Troop") in 2006, I became a ASM and got active with the Troop.  At a CoH, I thought I noticed something about the flags used.   After, I inspected them, found the US flag had 48 stars!  The Troop flag was cotton'wool !  Embroidered letters ! The halyard end had a date of 1956 ! When I mentioned all this to the SM and CCh, they were pleasantly surprised, and we moved to get a 50 star flag and a new Troop flag. The old ones are folded away in the Troop cabinet.  No collections of patches, unfortunately, altho the Troop thru those years went lots of places and did lots of things.  

• Like 1