Summer Camps and the Coronavirus

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son's troop is not in any of those counties, and they are heading to a Circle Ten summer camp, so even if you interpret "local" to mean a council, they are not trying to accomplish that. I thi

I don't understand your logic. Camp is not the same as quarantine. Not everyone will get the virus within the first day or so. With 250 people, one infected person and a 33% increase daily, after 14 d

If a family (10 members or less) can safely camp and hike, so can a patrol of similar size taking the same precautions.  If we had say an Assistant Chief Scout Executive - National Director of Outdoor

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, BAJ said:

In the minutes to our district Roundtable this week, they shared that at this point a third of BSA camps nationwide have announced being closed for the summer.

That seems like an underestimate or an out of date count. This past Friday saw a bunch of cancellations. 

6 minutes ago, malraux said:

That seems like an underestimate or an out of date count. This past Friday saw a bunch of cancellations. 

Agreed, May 15th was a decision day for many camps.

The council I work for was suppose to decide by then, but we still have yet to heard.

Camp T. Brady Saunders in the Heart of Virginia Council already delayed the camp start date to July 5, which basically gave them more time to decide if they want to cancel.  I don't see it happening this year.

15 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

"Unexplained extreme fatigue or muscle aches"

Wouldn't being a unit leader and an old fart always explain extreme fatigue and muscle aches??

Unexplained is the key word there...  🙂

• Haha 1

Mayflower Council in Mass is opening up Camp Squanto and closing Resolute ... They are delaying opening and  doing 5 weeks ...  I didn't think it would be opening when I heard that Narragansett Council closed their camps in RI ...  I wish them good luck !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: June 5, 2020

Please note in 2020 Resident Camp Schools will begin on SATURDAY unless noted.  Re-certification sections will also be offered for the following sessions when the Full-Week session is offered: Camp Director, Program Director, Aquatics, COPE, Climbing, Shooting Sports. If you have further questions about the school, please contact your School Director or email ncs@scouting.org 

https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/national-camping-school/

Heart of Virginia Council announced on Friday that Camp T. Brady Saunders will not hold normal camp programs this summer.  Instead, they are making campsites available to troops to "rent" out for one to 14 days at a time during the summer.  Program areas such as shooting, STEM, etc. will be staffed for an additional per-troop fee.  The dining hall will not operate.  Our troop is evaluating the options, but probably will not camp there this summer.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, SteveMM said:

Heart of Virginia Council announced on Friday that Camp T. Brady Saunders will not hold normal camp programs this summer.  Instead, they are making campsites available to troops to "rent" out for one to 14 days at a time during the summer.  Program areas such as shooting, STEM, etc. will be staffed for an additional per-troop fee.  The dining hall will not operate.  Our troop is evaluating the options, but probably will not camp there this summer.

The 2 camps I worked at in the UK, used that model. troops stayed at the camp and did their own things. The camp had available different activities on a  ala cart model. So if the troop wanted to repel of the Cliffs of Dover, they could do that for an extra fee. Rifle shooting, ditto. Kayaking or sailing in the Chanel, again ther was a fee.

My troop is doing their own camp. We got less than an month to prepare, so we are working on 2 options:  1. modern, MB oriented summer camp with limited choices of MB, or 2. hybrid activity based/ merit badge summer camp. Option 2 has them working on 2 MBs Environmental Science and Canoeing. Environmental Science was one of the most requested MB and Canoeing gets them wet since we have no swim area.

We are giving them 2 options because there is a push by a few parents to make it MB focused. One in particular is trying to push it so that his son can get the remaining MBs for Eagle. But what is frustrating is that all the MBs he needs, he either has partials in, or started working on, and he has a counselor for those when is working with. We also have a few Scouts wanting a MB oriented summer. The rationale is that it is easier to earn MBs in one week of camp than throughout the year. (An aside, I think part of that is some summer camps are cutting corners. I have known Scouts "earn MBs" that they did not actually complete.)

Activities at this moment include the following: First Aid (Helicopter Crash) Pioneering (Catapults or bridges, depending upon how much rope we can get) Orienteering (Patrol vs patrol), and Wilderness Survival (overnight experience). The activities will allow the Scouts meet T-2-1 requirements, and/or MB requirements. Plus they can be fun. memorable experiences. FORGOT TO ADD, all the activities have specific requirements that they meet for MBs and advancement.

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Hmmm, I just saw this article from CNBC with new to me at least information and different from current conventional wisdom.  Quoting:

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread. 

Folks are still learning  about COVID-19 because A) it is such a new virus and B) there are legitimate concerns that information about the virus  was initially withheld by  the CCP. Plus as more research is done, the information changes.

• Upvote 2