Summer Camps and the Coronavirus

At this time, both Heart of America and Pony Express Council have moved Scout Camp to the right and cut the number of sessions. 

don’t know about Pony Express for Cub Day Camp. HOAC has moved Cub Day Camp to the window July 13 to August 13. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son's troop is not in any of those counties, and they are heading to a Circle Ten summer camp, so even if you interpret "local" to mean a council, they are not trying to accomplish that. I thi

I don't understand your logic. Camp is not the same as quarantine. Not everyone will get the virus within the first day or so. With 250 people, one infected person and a 33% increase daily, after 14 d

If a family (10 members or less) can safely camp and hike, so can a patrol of similar size taking the same precautions.  If we had say an Assistant Chief Scout Executive - National Director of Outdoor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ScouterStL said:

Instead, we will open many of our summer camp facilities to individual families to enjoy the great outdoors safely with self-guided family camping and day trip activities. 

That's great.  I'd contribute a lot of our summer camp funds to allow my son and I to camp in our traditional camp spot even if just for one or two nights overnight.  Absolutely great idea.  Heck, I'd make it a family camp for those in my house.  What a great idea.  We wouldn't even need to leave the camp site much because it's big enough. 

Edited by fred8033
On 5/12/2020 at 8:45 PM, MikeS72 said:

If that is the criteria that councils use to determine whether they will open summer camps, most if not all will drop out in column one:  "Will the youth program or camp limit attendance to children and staff who live in the local area".

...an earlier draft of the one-page document on camps obtained by the AP asked organizers if their program would limit attendance to people who live nearby. If the answer was no, the camp was advised not to reopen. That local attendance limitation was dropped and was not in the version posted Thursday (5/14/2020).

https://time.com/5837094/cdc-decision-tool-coronavirus/

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/14/856483424/cdc-issues-decision-tools-to-guide-reopening-of-schools-businesses-transit

Today 5/14/2020, the CDC released some of their long-delayed guidance that schools, businesses and other organizations can use as states reopen from coronavirus shutdowns.

The CDC also posted six one-page “decision tool” documents that use traffic signs and other graphics to tell organizations what they should consider before reopening.

Decision tool for Youth Programs and Camps During the Covid-19 Pandemic*:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/Camps-Decision-Tree.pdf

* The purpose of this tool is to assist directors or administrators in making (re)opening decisions regarding youth programs and camps during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is important to check with state and local health officials and other partners to determine the most appropriate actions while adjusting to meet the unique needs and circumstances of the local community.

Edited by RememberSchiff
more details
  • Upvote 1

So... units with different COs cant get together and do an activity because that becomes a council event?  That's kinda insane.

♦ Q: If my summer camp is cancelled, can my unit get together with other units and have our own camp?

No. Chartering organizations play an important role in the program and activities for their chartered units. Chartering organizations promote well-planned unit program for the units they charter and encourage their units to have active outdoor unit programs. Chartering organization are not authorized to plan, promote, and deliver programs for units outside of their charter.

It is the role of the council to plan summer camps and the role of councils or districts to plan camporees and other outings during the year that give youth an opportunity to test their knowledge and skills in competitive events with other troops and/or patrols.

When units with different chartered organizations do activities together, this becomes a district or council event and requires council approval. In fact, some states require such activities to be licensed.

Should your troop, crew or ship decide to do a long-term summer camping program for their own unit (Cub Scouts units are prohibited from this activity) please note that the Scouter Code of Conduct and relevant program safety and training requirements are still in place, e.g., Safe Swim Defense, Hazardous Weather, Wilderness First Aid, etc.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, yknot said:

With all due respect, flu season runs through April and even early May in some years so that theory doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not sure what you are trying to say..  

Like everything else, it's an odds game. The bulk of cases in a normal season have occurrs by the end of February. For kids, that puts their viral-related cardiac risk window in the spring semester.

We have no idea if Coovid-19 will impart more or less cardiac risk than other viruses. But the timing guarantees that we won't start finding out until June.

I just got this email.

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that, after a thorough review, the National Capital Area Council has decided to suspend our resident camp programs at Goshen Scout Reservation, Camp William B. Snyder, Camp Airy, and the Day Camp program for the 2020 summer season. We know camp is an important part of every Scout’s summer, and this decision was not made lightly. This is not the end of our summer programming, however; NCAC has assembled a team of volunteers who are designing a fun, exciting alternative program that provides advancement opportunities for our Scouts. More information on these programs will be coming soon.

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I just got this email.

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that, after a thorough review, the National Capital Area Council has decided to suspend our resident camp programs at Goshen Scout Reservation, Camp William B. Snyder, Camp Airy, and the Day Camp program for the 2020 summer season. We know camp is an important part of every Scout’s summer, and this decision was not made lightly. This is not the end of our summer programming, however; NCAC has assembled a team of volunteers who are designing a fun, exciting alternative program that provides advancement opportunities for our Scouts. More information on these programs will be coming soon.

That’s almost word for word identical to the message my council just sent out as well.

• Upvote 1

Troops in the Northeast and Southeast should give serious consideration to the Summit for summer camp.  It will run for all weeks in July and the first week of August.  $415/week and you get the experience of being at the Jamboree site.  Advanced medical facilities, plenty of open room to distance single tents, huge program areas (designed for thousands but used by hundreds during summer camp) to accommodate social distancing and a very mature program staff.  If summer camp is going to take place anywhere, it will be at the Summit.

46 minutes ago, Cburkhardt said:

Troops in the Northeast and Southeast should give serious consideration to the Summit for summer camp.  It will run for all weeks in July and the first week of August.  $415/week and you get the experience of being at the Jamboree site.  Advanced medical facilities, plenty of open room to distance single tents, huge program areas (designed for thousands but used by hundreds during summer camp) to accommodate social distancing and a very mature program staff.  If summer camp is going to take place anywhere, it will be at the Summit.

We're going to try to make this work. It's about the same drive as our planned summer camp.  They will offer an end of June session if they can get 600 participants to commit to that week.

I hope the Summit becomes the preferred Scouts BSA summer camp for a large territory.  Council camp property closures during the BSA financial meltdown amid the virus crisis can cause this to happen.  As long as we do not lose it in the bankruptcy, the Summit will be there to operate every single year and will become increasingly nicer, generally known and popular with he Scouts.  Many long-time adults do not like the Summit because it is new, the construction scars (until a year ago) looked raw, and its development caused a BSA financial crisis.  However, I have yet to meet a Scout who did not really love the place after staying there.  Those Scouts will start becoming the Scoutmasters of the future within 5-10 years. 

A challenge for the Summit has been to develop a good use for the facility during non-Jamboree years, but the staff has been so consumed with constructing and financing the place that it was difficult for them to focus on that.  The bankruptcy and virus financial meltdown will cause councils to disfavor overly-subsidized camps and provide the opportunity to make Summit work as a super summer camp.  If we hold on to it, the place is going to become a beloved place for Scouting families  as treasured as our finest national park properties.       

@Cburkhardt

Does Summit offer a patrol cooking summer camp option?  Our Troop has a history of patrol cooking summer camps and one year went to a summer camp that was dining hall based.  The difference was huge and the scouts and scouters decided they never wanted to do a dining hall camp again.  We know long term most camps are headed to dining hall, but if summit offered a patrol cooking option, it could be a great option.

• Upvote 1

Heart of Virginia Council just announced they're cancelling their Cub Scout multi-day camp options for this summer.  As of right now, they still are hoping to hold the Boy Scout summer camp.  Here's what they said about the BSA camp.  I just don't see it happening.

We are currently working with our Council Program Committee, Risk Management Committee, and Camping Committee to modify our Scouts BSA program at Camp T. Brady Saunders to meet the health guidelines expected by the state.  This will include social distancing and changing the way many of our traditions and merit badge station have been done.  We do not know what this summer will look like yet, but we are preparing different options based on the CDC and Governors Executive Orders.  

30 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

@Cburkhardt

Does Summit offer a patrol cooking summer camp option?

The Summit has been a dining hall operation.  First in elaborate tents and now in a proper inside dining facility.  For this summer I do not know if they will offer patrol cooking or "hot pack".  I will know I a few days and will share that information.

• Thanks 1