Summer Camps and the Coronavirus

Considering the economic and mental health need,  states' re-opening plans (coming May 15?) should include rapid covid-19 field test sites to support summer camp opening? Camp weeks might start on different days to shorten lines.

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son's troop is not in any of those counties, and they are heading to a Circle Ten summer camp, so even if you interpret "local" to mean a council, they are not trying to accomplish that. I thi

I don't understand your logic. Camp is not the same as quarantine. Not everyone will get the virus within the first day or so. With 250 people, one infected person and a 33% increase daily, after 14 d

If a family (10 members or less) can safely camp and hike, so can a patrol of similar size taking the same precautions.  If we had say an Assistant Chief Scout Executive - National Director of Outdoor

Posted Images

Love reading all the comments and ideas … Why do we love Summer camp ?  ..Many reasons.. Socializing with other scouts from different towns etc,  Helping scouts with being away from home and being a little independent, Learning how to get along with other scouts and adults...As you noticed , I didn't mention any merit badges--they are the cherry on top … 

Now, let's get into the behavior of the scouts and adults ... We are all under a lot of stress...Imagine the stress levels when someone sees an 11 yo talking to his buddy from 2 feet away with his mask around his neck in 90 degree temps ? How about 2 adults doing the same thing ? Staff being told to be guideline cops,,, 6 feet away from everyone at the mess hall … 1 scout per tent .. list could go on and on … And please don't tell me that the adults and scouts are going to be perfect people who will follow every guideline … Imagine hearing 2 adults going at it cause their scouts are contaminating the others....

This will take the "looking over your shoulder to a new and bad level " …"Hey I just saw the scoutmaster from Troop 1 have all his scouts lined up 2 feet away from each other "  NOT FUN !!

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Considering the economic and mental health need,  states' re-opening plans (coming May 15?) should include rapid covid-19 field test sites to support summer camp opening? Camp weeks might start on different days to shorten lines.

My $0.02,

Many parts of the US are still struggling to have enough supplies to continue testing on healthcare workers/first responders/high risk groups, and supply chain is going to take more time to ramp production.  and that is assuming we will continue to obtain materials from abroad to feed the supply chain.  I've heard it rumored that Spirit of Adventure Council has pulled the plug on summer camp- have you heard that directly from anyone in council?

1 hour ago, HashTagScouts said:

Many parts of the US are still struggling to have enough supplies to continue testing on healthcare workers/first responders/high risk groups, and supply chain is going to take more time to ramp production.  and that is assuming we will continue to obtain materials from abroad to feed the supply chain.  I've heard it rumored that Spirit of Adventure Council has pulled the plug on summer camp- have you heard that directly from anyone in council?

Nearly all summer camps are awaiting the release (May 15?) of CDC and state guidelines.  I say nearly as some have already canceled.

Boston: I have not heard any news or informed rumors about Spirit of Adventure (Boston area) summer camp.

Connecticut update 5/11:   day camps only?

Beth Bye, the commissioner of the CT state Office of Early Childhood, said Monday that summer camps could open on June 29 with strict public health guidelines in place. The governor’s office later clarified that would not include overnight camps.

Camps will be limited of 30 campers per program; campers would be required to have temperature checks before entering; and all camps would need to abide by strict cleaning guidelines, Bye said during a roundtable discussion of the states Reopen Connecticut Advisory Group that focused on education.

Larger camps that can demonstrate they have the space for more children can apply for a waiver from her office, Bye said.

Parents working on the front lines during the pandemic can receive a subsidy to cover up to three weeks of camp or other child care.

It's not clear when or if the draft CDC guidelines will be released. The draft I saw would certainly seem to preclude any residential scout camping in most areas of the country and would require major changes in traditional scout programming even in day camps. Hopefully we'll know more in a few days. I personally don't think regional or HA camps should be operating this summer. I think some version of highly local, unit run, small scale camps later in the summer are still possible depending on the region, local guidelines, and BSA policy. One of the things we really need more information about is whether the recent cases that have been reported in children are a rare anomaly or are the tip of an emerging syndrome. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, yknot said:

It's not clear when or if the draft CDC guidelines will be released. The draft I saw would certainly seem to preclude any residential scout camping in most areas of the country and would require major changes in traditional scout programming even in day camps. Hopefully we'll know more in a few days. I personally don't think regional or HA camps should be operating this summer. I think some version of highly local, unit run, small scale camps later in the summer are still possible depending on the region, local guidelines, and BSA policy. One of the things we really need more information about is whether the recent cases that have been reported in children are a rare anomaly or are the tip of an emerging syndrome. 

This?

image.png.97513034a1ad83f84f44b5920a4eb53b.png

https://apnews.com/7a00d5fba3249e573d2ead4bd323a4d4

3 hours ago, yknot said:

Yup, that's it.

If that is the criteria that councils use to determine whether they will open summer camps, most if not all will drop out in column one:  "Will the youth program or camp limit attendance to children and staff who live in the local area".

Edited by MikeS72

I just watched the ZOOM meeting for our Webelos Resident / Cub Resident Camp starting June 7.  Circle Ten Council.  I was not impressed with their preparedness.

Many questions answered with.. "we don't know how that will work, but we are still looking at it".

They suggested everyone bring their own hand sanitizer, although I dont know where to buy that.

We can't enforce social distancing with kids, so its on you to take care of your kids.  

"Mask" was added to the equipment list.

45 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I just watched the ZOOM meeting for our Webelos Resident / Cub Resident Camp starting June 7.  Circle Ten Council.  I was not impressed with their preparedness.

Many questions answered with.. "we don't know how that will work, but we are still looking at it".

They suggested everyone bring their own hand sanitizer, although I dont know where to buy that.

We can't enforce social distancing with kids, so its on you to take care of your kids.  

There was a national webinar last week regarding CDC guidelines, camp preparedness, needed supplies,  etc. National is being very supportive and offering many resources. 
Your council is probably waiting for the official CDC, state, and local guidelines.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Thanks 1

05/13/20: Roundtable which was broadcast live via Facebook.

"Narrangansett Council (RI, southern MA, eastern CT) announced summer camps, including famed Camp Yawgoog*, will be virtual only.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/boys-scouts-cancel-summer-camps-plan-to-go-virtual

One hopeful note in above announcement:

"We will continue to evaluate options for small groups to come to camps later in the summer if we can do so in a safe manner. We are also planning to offer a variety of fall weekend programs at Camp Yawgoog and at Adventure Base Camp if the situation at that time allows it. "  Tim McCandless, Scout Executive & CEO

*"Yawgoog Scout Reservation, founded in 1916 as “A Scout Adventureland Forever,” is situated on over 1,800 acres of beautiful wilderness in Rockville, Rhode Island. Yawgoog is divided into three separate Camps: Camp Three Point, Camp Medicine Bow, and Camp Sandy Beach."

Edited by RememberSchiff
More links.

This is a nice story for scouting but on the other hand it highlights the concern that we don't have a real handle on this virus or know what it can do in kids:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/14/us/teenager-cardiac-arrest-coronavirus-illness-trnd/index.html

Temperature checks, diagnostic tests, and antibody tests would have been useless in this scenario. There are now hundreds of cases of pediatric effects like this in Europe and the U.S.  Possible infection is not being picked up until after an acute event, if at all, but there still seems to be a link.  Communicable disease plans can't really manage this type of infection in a camp or group setting. 

Polio, Tuberculosis,  AIDS,  Influenza,  Diphtheria,  Scarlet Fever,  Cholera,  Bubonic Plaque,  Whooping Cough, Lyme,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Cancer,  Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,  Malaria,  Ebola,  Dengue,  Rocky Mountain Fever,  Mumps, Measles,  , , , 

A Doctor friend did a study of the headstones and records of our local graveyard.  The earlier graves included many with dates indicating death before age five.  There was a distinctive drop in childhood deaths about 1920.  He decided it was due to success in medical treatments leading to  the lessening of the incidence of Diphtheria and Measles and better sanitation overall.  

First the scientists must be convinced. Then the politicians and businessmen have to be convinced.  The general public will be the eventual beneficiaries, but the individual cost is always high. 

Shall we add the movie "Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet" to our watch list ?  

On 5/12/2020 at 8:00 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

I've listened to the presentations from Circle Ten on Scout summer camps.  I agree with your assessment; I wasn't impressed either.  The leadership seems to belong to the group that doesn't appreciate the severity of COVID-19 and the ease in spreading it.  They are insistent on moving forward, but they don't have a plan, and are not following the CDC draft guidelines.

They told us that masks were optional since the camp was in a county that didn't require it.   They fail to understand that the mask isn't to protect against the land but from all of the people coming from around Texas, not even just the local area/council.  A masks isn't just to protect yourself, but it is to protect others around you.  When you don't wear a mask, I am at greater risk, and visa-versa.

7 minutes ago, BBQ said:

I've listened to the presentations from Circle Ten on Scout summer camps.  I agree with your assessment; I wasn't impressed either.  The leadership seems to belong to the group that doesn't appreciate the severity of COVID-19 and the ease in spreading it.  They are insistent on moving forward, but they don't have a plan, and are not following the CDC draft guidelines.

They told us that masks were optional since the camp was in a county that didn't require it.   They fail to understand that the mask isn't to protect against the land but from all of the people coming from around Texas, not even just the local area/council.  A masks isn't just to protect yourself, but it is to protect others around you.  When you don't wear a mask, I am at greater risk, and visa-versa.

Exactly what I am thinking.  People will be coming from several counties and co-mingle.  For that matter, CJR is in Grayson County and we are having at least 10 new cases a day, so we are by no means in the clear.