Summer Camps and the Coronavirus

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son's troop is not in any of those counties, and they are heading to a Circle Ten summer camp, so even if you interpret "local" to mean a council, they are not trying to accomplish that. I thi

I don't understand your logic. Camp is not the same as quarantine. Not everyone will get the virus within the first day or so. With 250 people, one infected person and a 33% increase daily, after 14 d

If a family (10 members or less) can safely camp and hike, so can a patrol of similar size taking the same precautions.  If we had say an Assistant Chief Scout Executive - National Director of Outdoor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

I'm starting to see several summer camps cancelled.  The below two were announced this week.  Not sure if there were others ….

Blackhawk Area Council (Northern Illinois)

Sam Houston Area Council (Houston Texas)

Allegheny Highlands Council

Allegheny Highlands Council Boy Scouts of America voted Wednesday to suspend in-person events and activities at its two camps for most of the 2020 summer season due to concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.

The council — which serves scouts in a five-county region on the New York-Pennsylvania border — operates at Camp Merz on Chautauqua Lake for Boy Scouts and at Elk Lick Scout Reserve in Smethport, Pa., for Cub Scouts.

more details at source link:

https://www.post-journal.com/news/latest-news/2020/04/local-boy-scouts-council-suspends-in-person-summer-camps-for-2020/

https://www.alleghenyhighlands.org/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1

My council, NEIC in the north shore of Illinois, will issue its decision by 5/15.  Frankly, I see no means of safely running camp or high adventure.  Our Parent Committee has already determined we are not sending kids.  Cautiously optimistic for troop based trips in late summer.     

Minsi Trails Council 2020 Summer Resident Camp Cancellation

Minsi Trails Council has three great camps that have always been a highlight to the year in Scouting. They are safe places where Scouts can have fun in the great outdoors, learn new skills, and develop their leadership.

It is with particular sadness under unprecedented circumstances, the professional staff and volunteer Board conclude the Council can simply not responsibly open our resident camps this summer. It is the correct conclusion, but we are immensely sorry to have to do it.

2020 Summer Resident Camp Season is Canceled
Under the current local, state, and CDC requirements concerning COVID-19 safety, we cannot provide a summer resident camp experience that would ensure a safe environment for our Scouts, volunteer leaders, or camp staff. Based on Pennsylvania’s phased plans for reopening the state’s economy and the unknown timeline for large groups (like summer camps) to gather, there is simply too much risk to the safety of our Scouts.

We’ve heard similar concerns from Scout volunteers and Scout parents about the timing of the 2020 camp season and the state’s reopening timelines. Considering all these factors has led us to the decision that, unfortunately, there will be no summer resident camp season for 2020. Scout health and safety must always be first and foremost, and too little is known at this time to provide a safe, large-group Scout camp experience this summer.

A Way Forward to 2021 Summer Camp
Minsi Trails Council is working with our volunteer unit leaders on plans for the 2021 camping season. Since there’s likely to be significant interest in camp next summer we are creating an early sign-up system with options available so your unit can reserve its spot for the 2021 summer camp season at Akelaland, Camp Minsi, or Settlers Camp. Please contact your unit camping coordinator for more details.

Thank You for your understanding and support!
These are challenging times for everyone, including local Scouting and we appreciate your support. Not providing a 2020 summer resident camp experience for our Scouts was a difficult decision and one that was not made lightly. Scouting is resilient and has persevered through many challenging times and we will get through this together. While there is no substitute for Scout summer camp, we are fortunate to have so many virtual and online Scouting resources available to keep our Scouts and their families engaged in the life changing programs Scouting offers. More Scouting opportunities are being worked on for later this summer and fall, so please watch for future announcements.

In the meantime, please stay safe and well. We appreciate all that you do for Scouting in Minsi Trails Council. Thank you.

From info I could find.  There was a FB post where people listed councils that cancelled camps.  I tried to doublecheck their FB pages or websites and below are the ones I was able to confirm.  I expect may more will be coming and I didn't list the many that have cancelled camps in June (hoping that July dates hold).  

Cancelled (BSA):

• Allegheny Highlands Council (New York)
  • Blackhawk Area Council (Illinois)
  • Minsi Trails Council (Pennsylvania)
  • Nevada Area Council (Nevada)
  • Sam Houston Council (Texas)
  • Sequoia Council (California)
  • Southeast Louisiana Council (Louisiana)
  • Transatlantic Council (Europe)
Edited by Eagle1993
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Minsi isn't far from here...waiting for the other shoe to drop on our chosen camp 

Exactly what I was thinking... less than 2 hours away from the camp I work at.

My council doesn't mention the virus on its website. However, if you read the state and county sites it's hard to imagine how they can operate a camp. Well, it would all be fine except for doing any events or eating.

My guess is my council is desperate and have been doing a lot of rationalization.

Seems to me there's an opportunity here for scouting. Ten people can do something together. That's a patrol and two adults. Think of the possibilities. This could be the most fun summer ever.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Saw that Arizona Closed, GA / Carolina council closed. Flint River Camp Thunder will announce at 3 today.  Cherokee Council - Skymont Scout Reservation they are meeting today and should update next week.  Atlanta Area is "planning" to go ahead but is also floating the late start possibility.  Due to earlier school calendars the first week would start in 30 days.

Philmont will update today, but no information yet.

3 hours ago, MattR said:

My council doesn't mention the virus on its website. However, if you read the state and county sites it's hard to imagine how they can operate a camp. Well, it would all be fine except for doing any events or eating.

My guess is my council is desperate and have been doing a lot of rationalization.

Seems to me there's an opportunity here for scouting. Ten people can do something together. That's a patrol and two adults. Think of the possibilities. This could be the most fun summer ever.

Only if the wilderness areas and campgrounds open up. Many of them have been closed because of the mobs of people who were flooding into them with nothing else to do. 

Hawkeye Area Council (east-central Iowa) has just announced that all June camps and activities are cancelled.  Decision will be made by May 15 for July camps and activities.