Removing scouter from roster

A scouter has resigned under somewhat unpleasant circumstances, and it is probably in the units best interest to have his name stricken from the rolls. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this. Neither is the unit commissioner, and we currently don't have a DE.  

Any ideas who we should contact?

Edited by Oldscout448
3 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

A scouter has resigned under somewhat unpleasant circumstances, and it is probably in the units best interest to have his name stricken from the rolls. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this. Neither is the unit commissioner, and we currently don't have a DE.  

Any ideas who we should contact?

I am going from memory here, so bear with me. The COR or IH must write a letter with name, and if possible the membership ID, to the Scout Exec and Registrar stating the person is to be removed from the unit charter.

• Upvote 1

I agree with a letter signed by the IH informing the council that the scouter's resignation was accepted, and he is no longer on the unit's roster.

Copy the SE, COR, CC, and unit leader.

Then, it doesn't matter what council does our does not do. He's not on your roster, even if his name appears on a printout somewhere.

• Upvote 2

Don't guess about any of this.  Get the top people in both organizations, council and CO, involved, and be ready to be completely candid both about facts you have, suppositions you may be making, and the difference between the two.

Talk to your CO or IH, and make sure they know everything.  

Call the SE, only he can really make this kind of thing happen; don't stop at the registrar, a DE, or anyone less.  Be completely candid, and insist on the same level of candor from him.  Ask what he's going to do and when, ask him what you should do.  Keep contemporaneous notes about every conversation, including dates, times, and names of anyone you're speaking to.

Follow up all conversations with a written conformation of the agreed upon steps that will be taken by each party.

I am going to disagree with qwazse, it does matter if the scouter's name appears on a printout or in a database somewhere still tied to your unit.  Continue to follow up with council until you see that name gone from your unit's roster.

7 hours ago, qwazse said:

I agree with a letter signed by the IH informing the council that the scouter's resignation was accepted, and he is no longer on the unit's roster.

Copy the SE, COR, CC, and unit leader.

Then, it doesn't matter what council does our does not do. He's not on your roster, even if his name appears on a printout somewhere.

I agree.  

6 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Follow up all conversations with a written conformation of the agreed upon steps that will be taken by each party.

I am going to disagree with qwazse, it does matter if the scouter's name appears on a printout or in a database somewhere still tied to your unit.  Continue to follow up with council until you see that name gone from your unit's roster. ...

I'm not opposed to getting steps and following them. Procedure matters. But, to whom does it matter?

Not the unit. The scouter resigned. It would be nice if he put this in writing, but verbal agreements still mean something.

Not the CO. If they agree in writing that a person is no longer affiliated with a unit as of x date. That's it.

The UC? Sounds like he heard the guy say "I quit!" No other action besides paying attention is required on his part.

Council? There is nothing they can do except maybe help this scouter find another unit or transfer to the district. $1, please. Otherwise, the registrar should make it so that all those annoying reports and the next issue of Scouter don't get printed unnecessarily. It would be nice if they could refund the guy's registration fee.

Us? Well maybe, if this person is a criminal who needs to be on the naughty list, but that should have been done already with a hasty call to the SE.

So sure, if an exec gives you a form, fill it out. But two scentences from the IH settle the matter.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'm not opposed to getting steps and following them. Procedure matters. But, to whom does it matter?

Not the unit. The scouter resigned. It would be nice if he put this in writing, but verbal agreements still mean something.

Not the CO. If they agree in writing that a person is no longer affiliated with a unit as of x date. That's it.

The UC? Sounds like he heard the guy say "I quit!" No other action besides paying attention is required on his part.

Council? There is nothing they can do except maybe help this scouter find another unit or transfer to the district. $1, please. Otherwise, the registrar should make it so that all those annoying reports and the next issue of Scouter don't get printed unnecessarily. It would be nice if they could refund the guy's registration fee.

Us? Well maybe, if this person is a criminal who needs to be on the naughty list, but that should have been done already with a hasty call to the SE.

So sure, if an exec gives you a form, fill it out. But two scentences from the IH settle the matter.

The matter is not exactly settled just because the IH writes a letter to council. The ex-Scouter will retain his permissions in my.scouting.org until well after the registrar removes him from the roster. I have seen it take as long as 45 days after the registrar removed somebody from the unit roster for them to actually be removed in my.scouting.oeg. Those permissions, of course, depend on their position with the unit. I am not sure about scoutbook permissions. 

Secondly, because of how BSA manages unit rosters, that person will still be listed on the roster at recharter time next year. Just cross them out at that time.

Edited by an_old_DC
  • Upvote 1

I suspect Scouting.org and Scoutbook are synced. But, again, that isn't a unit's problem. They've done their due diligence. They can certainly undo anything this scouter might do.

Again, the point is making sure council knows that things have changed. You can't control what they do with that information. Hopefully they will do something useful with it.

It sounds like there is good advice above for going about removing from the roster, but just remember that everything with BSA moves glacially.

In the meantime, if it is a financial situation, i.e. missing funds by a treasurer perhaps, get their name replaced at the bank and inform members of the change in the money stream.

If a legal liability situation, i.e. bar fight between leaders or w/e with the thread of lawsuit, then current roster matters less than what the roster was at the time of the event.

If it is a scouting situation, i.e. a leader being called out for fictionally advancing a scout, edit the permissions for that leader directly through Scoutbook and reduce or remove all privileges or with the help of your highest ranking admin.  Next, go into membership in Scoutbook and end their relationship with the Unit. 

Edited by Beccachap
fixed

Much thanks to all who so kindly responded.  The issue has been satisfactorily handled. I'm sorry I gave so few details as to the actual reason for the divorce, but I wasn't at liberty to disclose very much on a public forum.

• Upvote 1