How about Proactive PR? Our Competition is taking shots.

A lot of folks (myself included) were voicing concern about PR before the Chapter 11 filing. Now it just seems like it's too little too late. The BSA had the chance to respond strongly and convincingly to the accusations of continued abuse, continued failure to better protect scouts, and continued lack of vetting of leaders. All of which is absolutely false, but the BSA dropped the ball when given the chance to respond. Front-page news articles made these kinds of false accusations and the BSA offered up weak, canned responses. They could have (and should have) responded with the stuff they have come out with since the bankruptcy filing, about how scouting is safer than ever in the BSA, how we have come so far with expert-informed youth protection policies and training.

Now it just looks like desperate replies to a dire situation. These responses all could have done some good back when we started getting beat up in the press. Now it might just be too late. It's hard to battle back from bad PR.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bugling is always good  :  https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/boy-scout-plays-moving-tribute-to-veterans-who-died-from-coronavirus-81856581806 @SSScout

BSA doesn't advertise. It doesn't ever get in front of a news story, or correct mistaken information.  It's frustrating. We had a local marketing firm who donated time and created a series of rec

The BSA should be out there talking a lot more about what it is doing and why.  The point isn't to blame those suing the BSA or to criticize those attacking it.  The point is simply to explain an

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

This past week's MacGyver episode 

Did I miss something? I thought that show ended decades ago.

Either way, I always thought that character was very scoutish. We once had a guy take apart a flooded outboard motor and replaced a gasket with a coffee can lid. Making do with what you have is a great skill, and not something that any  syllabus can cover.

17 minutes ago, MattR said:

Either way, I always thought that character was very scoutish. We once had a guy take apart a flooded outboard motor and replaced a gasket with a coffee can lid. Making do with what you have is a great skill, and not something that any  syllabus can cover.

If you read his "bio", the character was a cub scout and his den mother taught him to "be prepared". 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, MattR said:

Did I miss something? I thought that show ended decades ago.

It's season 4 of the reboot.  In this version MacGyver is an OEF EOD tech vet.

It seems to me this unfortunate national health crisis could actually be an opportunity for some positive PR for BSA among the public at large. There are going to be about 50 million parents looking for activities to do with their home bound kids over the next few weeks. They should be made aware of and invited to google "BSA" and peruse its prodigious online resources. There are plenty of cub scout activities and scout merit badges that are fun and can easily be done at home or in the backyard. Whittling animals out of soap bars with a plastic knife, making trail mix with whatever snacks you have on hand, bird watching or insect study in the back yard, etc. Or, if BSA was on its toes, send out a daily digest of ideas that would work in a variety of settings -- rural to urban. 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...