Ernest Thompson Seton and Cultural Appropriation.

I think rage about the actions of Ernest Thompson Seton and other early advocates for the American Indian is misplaced.  I do not, however, have a problem with Native Americans working for change when they see insensitive treatment of their culture and beliefs.  Many things have changed in the last one hundred-plus years.  We all may have seen things differently if we had been present then.  Just don’t recast the intentions of deeply honorable people or ask us to forget an important part of our heritage.

I would mostly agree with that. I'm less concerned with if those actions wrong way back when than I am with if we should reconsider what we do today or tomorrow. I also think theres a reasonable question to ask of if our current traditions are accomplishing their goal.

Very interesting. Thanks. I agree that outrage over anachronistic behavior is misplaced but I do think the wearing of Native American regalia and other such activities needs to be retired from the program. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well  yknot,  you may have just gotten your wish.   Our lodge LEC just came down with an order that pretty much eliminates regalia.   The edict was delivered last night,  we had 10 scouts on the chapter ceremonies team.   We now have three.   

Removing the regalia will be the start of "Order of the Tablet".  I've never seen any OA program with or without regalia ever disrespect our native heritage.  This would also do away with the Tribe of Mic-o-say?  Just try to take someone's beads.  If there is anything preserving the native heritage, the OA is one of the most visible besides sports teams.  If someone doesn't like the regalia, powwow, or theme, there are other organizations to join. 

So for those on the "remove" line, do we also change WWW or do away with Leni Lenape and the OA legend?  Where does it stop unless we change to the order of the tablet. 

Cultural appropriation:  Use of paper, gunpowder and noodles by non-Chinese.  Leaning towers outside Italy?  Pineapple, potatoes, maize, and tomatoes outside South America.  pinus sylvestris in the U.S. or Canada.  Rice in Mexico.  Opium in the Western Hemisphere.  🐽

• Like 1