I might be stupid!!!  We had a Council "Camp-In" this weekend.  We all camped at home, did Scout things during the day, and shared on the Council FB page what we did.  Anyway, last night was another miserable night.  Waking up every so often hurting.  I have been opening the valve on my sleeping pad and throwing it in the tent to inflate while I do other stuff.  Never been much of a pad.  I decided to get out in the house tonight and open the valve and just watch it.  It wasn't doing a lot.  I fished the instructions out of the bag and it said to blow on the valve to desired firmness.  Well, now its a good two inches thick and firm.  I feel pretty stupid.

Its an ALPS pad if that makes any difference.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahhh, a scouty question There are quite comfortable backpacking pads. Get an insulated one. That and a down quilt and you should be quite comfortable with little weight. And, when you finally ge

I might be stupid!!!  We had a Council "Camp-In" this weekend.  We all camped at home, did Scout things during the day, and shared on the Council FB page what we did.  Anyway, last night was another m

This is really an inaccurate and unfair characterization.  Any hammock out there designed with camping in mind is designed so that the sleeper lays nearly flat.  Obviously some folks might still be un

I used to visited a friend in the mornings a few years ago to enjoy a cup of coffee with him. I was impressed with his talking microwave and would take the opportunity to warm up my coffee just to hear it talk. My friend always looked at me strangely when I responded to the talking microwave's "HI", with my  "And A Good Morning To You". One morning his wife walked in the kitchen and placed her muffin in the microwave. She made a selection on the heating choices and then pushed start. The microwave responded with "MEDIUM". I felt pretty stupid.:o But it's a good story during breakfasts on camp outs.

I never used those inflatable sleeping pads, but they were always a long topic of discussion with the adults who did use them in how to get them comfortable. 

Barry

• Like 1

Off subject, but the microwave incident has me brought to my Tiger granddaughter two months ago.  She took a compass out, held it flat, and spoke into it "show me North".  It was too funny to see.  You gotta love the newest generation.

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I might be stupid!!!  We had a Council "Camp-In" this weekend.  We all camped at home, did Scout things during the day, and shared on the Council FB page what we did.  Anyway, last night was another miserable night.  Waking up every so often hurting.  I have been opening the valve on my sleeping pad and throwing it in the tent to inflate while I do other stuff.  Never been much of a pad.  I decided to get out in the house tonight and open the valve and just watch it.  It wasn't doing a lot.  I fished the instructions out of the bag and it said to blow on the valve to desired firmness.  Well, now its a good two inches thick and firm.  I feel pretty stupid.

Blowing up a "self-inflating" mattress is an old trick, but you need to store it with the valve open to allow some of the resulting moisture to evaporate to try to avoid mildew inside.  Storing it open also greatly improves inflation in the "field."

1 minute ago, TAHAWK said:

Blowing up a "self-inflating" mattress is an old trick, but you need to store it with the valve open to allow some of the resulting moisture to evaporate to try to avoid mildew inside.  Storing it open also greatly improves inflation in the "field."

See, no one ever told me it was going to be one hour per week PER scout, and now I am learning you have to blow up a self inflating mattress and store it with the valve open.  What other important information has been withheld???  :)

Polyester batting-insulated sleeping bags gradually lose loft (insulation value) if stored compressed. The greater the compression, the faster the loss of loft.  Some polyester batting resists such abuse better , but all yield in the end.  Some makers advertise otherwise. Some believe the Earth to be flat.

57 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

See, no one ever told me it was going to be one hour per week PER scout, and now I am learning you have to blow up a self inflating mattress and store it with the valve open.  What other important information has been withheld???  :)

Stuff the tent into the storage bag instead of folding and rolling because the folds can wear thin spots that leak. Stuffing doesn't have any fold spots to wear. Stuffing the tent in the backpack is easier and faster because it can be  stuffed into voids around the other gear. Give the poles to your partner. They think they are getting the better part of the deal.:D

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
2 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Find a competent IOLS course in your part of the World and take it.

Hmm!. So, during this strange time of spending of lives in our homes with a computer, your suggestion is wait for an unscheduled course with a unknown staff of unknown experience to learn a few tricks that will make camping more comfortable. Sometimes I worry about you. 

Barry

3 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

...  What other important information has been withheld???  :)

If you leave your boots outside your tent (even in a vestibule) put them sole side up. It's easier to shake out scorpions than snow. :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Hmm!. So, during this strange time of spending of lives in our homes with a computer, your suggestion is wait for an unscheduled course with a unknown staff of unknown experience to learn a few tricks that will make camping more comfortable. Sometimes I worry about you. 

Barry

Your capital suggestion?  One supposes he could go on asking questions here, there, and elsewhere. Jolly good!

In Winter when tenting well-below freezing, place the tops of your boots between the sleeping bag and the insulating mattress so they don't freeze solid.

A sacrificial sheet or light fleece blanket  over your sleeping bag in cold weather causes the condensation to be less absorbed by the sleeping bag.  Moisture in your sleeping bag may freeze when you have abandoned the bag to ambient temperatures, unless your Winters are sunny and dry (Ours are grey and damp, except, occasionally, when below 0º F)  and reduces the insulating value of the bag

Edited by TAHAWK

Hopefully there would be answers - acceptably correct answers. 

Hopefully he would know what questions to ask: "... I am learning you have to blow up a self inflating mattress and store it with the valve open.  What other important information has been withheld??? 

Can we supply handouts?

21 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Last year I finally humbled myself and bought an inflatable sleeping pad.   (Ego, I can sleep on the ground, my 35 year old foam pad still works just fine, etc...not so much any more!).  All that to say I had a remarkably similar experience to the one you described.  :) 

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1