Webelos and the Camporee

Webelos will once again be invited to our Fall Camporee :) !

Following the rules, we will set up a separate area, away from the Boy Scouts, for the Webelos (and parent) to pitch their tents. Since part of this excercise is intended to be an oppurtunity for the Webelos to "join" the troop I was wondering if anyone has come up with an acceptable way for the Webelos to camp "with" the troop at the Camporee. When I say "with" the troop I mean in an area that is in some way adjacent to the area that the troop is in.

I know that many people view it as wrong, but I don't plan, make or enforce the rules for our Camporees. The Webelos camp in the same site as the Troop at our Camporees. Each patrol has their area, the adults have their area and then the Webelos/parents have their own area all within the same campsite. They are just treated as another patrol within the campsite. For cooking and activities, they are divided between the different patrols and Webelos leaders/parents accompany them to the various events.

I would like to see the Camporee returned to it's former glory of being skill competitions among the troops and have some meaning. All it is now is just a bing recruitment event. Keep in mind, we do a Webelos Woods each fall for the specific purpose of recruitment. It is much like a Camporee, but with the skills competition geared more towards Webelos instead of Scouts.

If I had my preference, Camporee would be for Boy Scouts only and Webelos Woods would be for recruitment and the two would never mix. But they do in our district.

In our council the camporee is a skills competition. Webelos are not included in it at all. The Webelos there own skills competition (Webeloree). As far as the recruitment part the put it in a very public place ie: Side of a main highway to grab son free attention.

Aloha,

Ken

Our district invites Webelos dens. Boy Scouts have one side of the camping area, Webelos the other side. Boy Scouts have their events, Webelos have their events. It's like having a Boy Scout Camporee and a Web-o-ree on the same weekend at the same location. I've never been able to figure out the logic of holding separate events "together". Well, actually the logic is simple. There are no adults to step up and do a stand-alone Web-o-ree, so they skip it and invite Webelos to tag along to the Boy Scout Camporee.

In my opinion, the two groups get in each other's way.

I think we've chewed the G2SS guidelines a couple times, but I have a copy of the new Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines which says:

Webelos Scout dens are encouraged to visit Boy Scout Camporees and Klondike derbies. the purpose of these visits should be for the boys to look ahead with anticipation to their future as Boy Scouts and observe troops they might join. Webelos Scouts should not compete against or participate in activities designed for Boy Scouts. Webelos Scouts houlsd not spend the night at the event if the program is Boy Scout-Based.

The big thing is not where these little fellows camp, it is the program that they have. Unless the program is geared for them they really ought not be participating in a Boy Scout Program

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

This is also a common in our district. I arrange the camporees where the Spring Camporee is for Webelos and Boy Scouts...the Boy Scouts teach the Webelos...in return the Boy Scouts get to do something special...that is Boy Scouts only...ie. climbing towers, repelling, etc. The Fall Camporee is for Boy Scouts only. It is competition with a challange. Last year it was the survival challange, based on the TV show with different stations, puzzles, challanges, and patrol competition. This year it is a raft race down the river. The rafts have to be built on site the day of the event. I look at having the Spring Camporee as the first camping trip for the new Webelos that crossed over. They will have a big part in training the new Webelos. Both a recruiting and camping experience. The program is geared for Webelos. Everybody seems tothink that Webelos must be included in a Boy Scout Camporee,,,not so the way I understand, but we try to keep everyone happy and the boys interested. I like the yesteryear camporee...Boy Scouts only, never saw a Webelos Scout. I'm looking for good ideas that Boy Scouts and Weblos Scouts can have fun together at a camporee.

Edited by Eagle Foot

With two exceptions, canoe & kayak activities, the activities will be available to the Webelos. In competitions, the Webelos will compete in the same events but only against other Webelos, and with different judging criteria (everyone wins).

The G2SS is saying that if you do not plan for your Webelos to be a part of the Camporee, then they should not stay. In our case, and with many other Councils, we have planned to have the Webelos be a part of the event. All of which makes them eligible to stay the night. The one thing we have done is to limit the Webelos to Saturday night only. BS will arrive on Friday; Webelos will arrive on Saturday morning.

If you are looking for activities for Webelos Scouts. The Activity Pins that they work on offers a lot of ideas.

I think that Webelos Scout camps where there are Boy Scouts ought to be run for the Webelos Scouts, using Webelos Scouts activities not "Tamed Down" Boy Scout activities. Even some of the basic Scout skills require a degree of coordination that these little fellows have not yet got.

Webelos Scout are just that Webelos Scouts, they are not little Boy Scouts.

Eamonn.

When I was a DE my scouters wanted the Webelos at the spring camporees in both of my districts. They had their own separate program and the only time they mixed was at dinner when patrols would invite them to help prepare and share the meal. It always worked out very cordially, no complaints, and everyone had a good time. Eamonn, I have to disagree with you on one point though, some of these Webelos had knot tying and other scout skills that put some of the older scouts to shame, its a good thing they had seperate contests.

We took our two Webelos Dens to the District camporee last fall. CAmped next to our troop, but did our own cooking etc.

The kids participated in all the activities, beating the Scouts in some areas!

Their biggest hrill was when they were asked to come forward at the campfire to be recgonized; some proud Guys! (and so were the parents and Den Leaders.)

Now all are Scouts, been to summer camp (and other campouts) Most are Second Class, getting close to First.

I know I'm an ASM to all in the Troop, but feel closer to the Scouts I was involved in Cubs with!