Chapter 11 announced

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/11/19/boy-scouts-bankruptcy-abuse/

Having trouble copying quotes from the article.  (Using work computer and copy/paste into websites is difficult). 

• Attorney for insurance company is questioning if the law firms reviewed the claims and is indicating it will take time to go through the 95,000
  • 248 of 253 councils have now provided details regarding their assets & insurance
  •  local council attorney indicating that councils will be involved via their insurance companies
  •  he also said that plaintiffs will not be happy as many donors & properties have restrictions, preventing disposition
  •  he went on saying he thinks they will settle; however, he went on to say if they fail to settle BSA and "scouting" will likely fail  and most if not all local councils will cease to exist in current form
  • plaintiff attorney is saying more people continue to call post filing deadline.  He said this will cascade for years as they are now planning lawsuits against local councils, churches, fire departments, rotary clubs and other sponsoring organizations.  They plan to sue everyone linked to scouting and these cases.

Talking with my wife tonight … (she is fairly liberal so would generally lean against large organizations) ...

• She doesn't buy the number … she expects many are just looking for $
  • She is questioning why their parents didn't do anything if it was that severe.  
  • She believes this could kill many youth organizations … nothing is 100% safe and if that is the expectation, then nothing can exist for kids except hanging out with their parents.
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

... She believes this could kill many youth organizations … nothing is 100% safe and if that is the expectation, then nothing can exist for kids except hanging out with their parents.

Taken to its extreme, it will not on disassemble youth organizations, but the institution of family itself.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

With all the changes, what is Scouting's political "base"?

Good question.

IMHO,  National hopes it is families as in Family Scouting.  In reality, it is our local communities which we serve.

All politics and scouting is local. Scouting will continue at the local level whether there is a National or 13 Colony Council organization or not.

My $0.02,

• Upvote 2

Sounds like we may be going back to the early days of Scouting in the US.  Then each community, where there were units, was a council.  Then they later came together to form a new council and the original small councils became districts.  In the beginning there were probably at least 800+ councils, now 260+.  May soon be back to the 800+.

While this may or may not be the place for this comment, and maybe it is making myself a target, but I have to wonder about a society that will allow this to happen to a group that has done and continues to do so much for the communities across the country, while so many continue to allow the cesspools in many parts of government and the entertainment industry.  While the issues that are the cause of this problem with BSA are real, it seems to me that the I would say 99%+ positive record of BSA should put them in a better public position.  But, for some reason, people jump on the infinitesimal poor things over the past fifty plus years, even as they sit on the benches in parks, and enjoy the plant boxes in myriad school, and the refurbished cemeteries in many locations, and numerous other contributions of Eagle projects.  They cast aspersions on the entire program based on a different era, one that compared to much of society of the time, was still far better than most groups, and seem to find it okay to destroy the organization and all its history of positive citizenship development and community service, just so lawyers can make money on the backs of a few, even though BSA would and has reached out to those that came forward individually, with counseling and so on.  

Meanwhile, we see powerful and wealthy individuals sweep far worse things under carpets, and do little to try and stop child trafficking and prostitution, nor fix the numerous welfare agencies that are over-taxed and allow far worse to occur than that for which BSA is being ruined.  

I am having a hard time balancing right and wrong anymore.  Humans are so many faceted that there is no way to deal with all their myriad failures of conscience and actions.  We will never fix some people's warped ways, nor will we eradicate the worst in society completely.  Just as we will never get completely rid of the common cold or stop the power of nature in general.  

Enough with the negative.  I need, we all need, to move forward and if we believe in the overall goodness of the program and its foundation, then we will fight to keep finding our way.  

• Upvote 2
On 11/19/2020 at 7:49 PM, Eagle1993 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/11/19/boy-scouts-bankruptcy-abuse/

Talking with my wife tonight … (she is fairly liberal so would generally lean against large organizations) ...

• She is questioning why their parents didn't do anything if it was that severe.  

I know someone very precious to me. In the 1960s, a grandfather raped this person. Indeed, all the siblings got raped.  

They didn’t tell the parents. Why?  They firmly believed they’d be accused of lying.

Now, Dad is 90, and the last standing. All have sworn not to tell him.  

I understand the peers of my era. 

17 hours ago, skeptic said:

While this may or may not be the place for this comment, and maybe it is making myself a target, but I have to wonder about a society that will allow this to happen to a group that has done and continues to do so much for the communities across the country, while so many continue to allow the cesspools in many parts of government and the entertainment industry. 

It's been said before, but, worth saying again.  The current cultural zeitgeist requires full compliance and submission.  Organizations like the BSA, the NRA, or the Church that refuse to fully comply either have to be destroyed or taken over.  Multiple corporations, the NFL, MLB, NBA, GSUSA, etc. have already bent the knee, literally in some cases and figuratively, in an attempt to save themselves from the postmodern leftists.  They may or may not be spared the wrath of the mob.  The BSA has come to believe the path to survival is to also bend the knee.  It is likely too late for the BSA.  

The reason "parts of the government" (e.g. public schools) and the "entertainment industry" get a pass is they are already controlled by the leftists.  They are a means to an end.  I believe the correct term is "useful idiots." 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
51 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

I believe the correct term is "useful idiots." 

You're leaving yourself open for a really nasty insult and I want to stop that from happening right now. Let's all stop the name calling. It's time for everyone to start thinking about what they're thankful for.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Over on the FB Talk About Scouting a similar unending he said/did, and so on is going on.  There is not answer to any of this that will satisfy a few, even if the BSA does disappear, as we know it.  One comment that nudged me though was the idea we need to be "fair" to the victim.  Now of course this revolved partly around whether or not some of them are even actual victims and brings us back to the "McMartin scenario", but accepting that this occurred, because we know we have such people in society, "what is fair?"  What amount of money will erase the scar(s) of actual abuse?  Does ruining a mostly positive program that serves the community in so many ways in a positive manner salve the scars on the ids of the real victims?  

Then there is the connected what is fair to the "lawyers" who we know care less about the final results, even for the victims?  Should not our court/legal system offer a valid response to this that puts the actual victims first and limits, period, the amount the lawyers can take?  

Finally, what is fair to the larger organization, especially when they are trying to work with the mess, and have admitted error and poor decisions, and already offered open ended counseling and such to verified victims?  We put felons in prison for, in most cases, allotted sentences.  And theory says that they have paid their debt, and can rejoin society, though we know that is sometimes not the case.  Still, there are limits on many types of felony sentences, and even some civil offenses.

I know I am barking at the moon, but at least it takes it out of my craw for the moment.  Reality is that in our current society there is no win/win, only uneven retribution for the sake of retribution and grudges.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

Organizations like the BSA, the NRA, or the Church that refuse to fully comply either have to be destroyed or taken over.

You do understand that the BSA has people of different political persuasions as members? 

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

You do understand that the BSA has people of different political persuasions as members? 

As members, yes.  At the national level, no.  At the national level, they are all of one mind, and it is not conservative.

• Upvote 2

95,000 claims? If BSA's insurance challenged all of them, neither side could afford the process, I assume. If there's a settlement, I assume it would be distributed to all the claimants without much examination of the validity of each claim.

If that's the case, no pun intended, how can anyone not think we need to massively change our tort system.

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

31 minutes ago, David CO said:

As members, yes.  At the national level, no.  At the national level, they are all of one mind, and it is not conservative.

Hey all, let's get back to Chapter 11.

• Thanks 2