Chapter 11 announced

12 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

So ... I'm guessing the intense mediation session this week is not likely resolving the differences.  

Appears it put them into stark relief. I say, let’s replace the driver and move this thing forward. As my mom liked to say, “You’re coming along kicking and screaming, if that’s what it takes. Either way, you’re coming.”

Edited by ThenNow
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ThenNow said:

Appears it put them into stark relief. I say, let’s replace the driver and move this thing forward. As my mom liked to say, “You’re coming along kicking and screaming, if that’s what it takes. Either way, you’re coming.”

I see no path where there is an agreement to protect LCs and COs.  The complexity is just too great.   National BSA declared bankruptcy.  Settle out their assets.  Let the lawsuits against COs and LCs to proceed.  They can declare bankruptcy if appropriate.  I see now other path given how complex.

It’s interesting to see the $102B estimate.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

I see no path where there is an agreement to protect LCs and COs.

Seems to be the case. I wonder how the Ad Hoc Committee presented the prospect of participation, since they clearly don't speak for all LCs. I don't believe any COs were party to the mediation so that's a complete mystery, at least to me.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

It’s interesting to see the $102B estimate.

It is. I'll take it as the quick and dirty path to a completed estimation. No one else was keen to do it, so now we know. Knowing what I know from other cases and bankruptcies, I feel good about the numbers. For me as a survivor claimant, it's at least affirming to see someone place a value on what I went through. I know it won't amount to that much, but it's peculiarly comforting. 

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Let the lawsuits against COs and LCs to proceed.  

For many years, I was accused of being too interfering and heavy handed in exercising my oversight responsibilities of my unit.  My mantra was, The CO owns the unit.  I didn't trust or rely on BSA or the LC to protect my CO.  I feel vindicated.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, David CO said:

For many years, I was accused of being too interfering and heavy handed in exercising my oversight responsibilities of my unit.  My mantra was, The CO owns the unit.  I didn't trust or rely on BSA or the LC to protect my CO.  I feel vindicated.

Sounds like your Unit and CO have a clean record. That's highly commendable. Is that from inception to date? I wonder how many can say that. No way to tell without a massive, targeted dive into the data.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Sounds like your Unit and CO have a clean record. 

Who knows?  I can't say with any certainty that no former scout will have a claim against my CO.  I have always had that concern in mind (from inception).  I'm not perfect.  All I can say is that I was always preparing for that possibility, and I did my best to prevent it.  

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

The Boy Scouts, Local Councils, and Chartered Organizations simply are not providing adequate compensation. In a settlement offer to the Boy Scouts, the Tort Claimants’ Committee estimated the value of the filed claims based on different types of childhood sexual abuse as follows: (page 2, an itemized chart of type of abuse, claim estimate, number of cases...)

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/884771_2506.pdf

@ThenNow, I deliberately did not post the explicit abuse categories from the Court document on this scout forum.

For those interested, I previously provided the link and page number (above). It is publicly available. Upon reflection I should have provided a content warning.

RS

@MattR  @John-in-KC

Edited by RememberSchiff
31 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

@ThenNow, I deliberately did not post the explicit abuse categories from the Court document on this scout forum.

Yes, that was explicit.  But I also think it provided some important information.  I was expecting to see the bulk of the offenses to be in the lesser categories.  It was the opposite from what I expected.  The worst of the crimes had the highest occurrences.

These scouters are not being targeted for helping boys apply suntan lotion or boosting kids out of the pool.  These are egregious offenses.  I think we should know that.

• Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, David CO said:

Yes, that was explicit.  But I also think it provided some important information.  I was expecting to see the bulk of the offenses to be in the lesser categories.  It was the opposite from what I expected.  The worst of the crimes had the highest occurrences.

These scouters are not being targeted for helping boys apply suntan lotion or boosting kids out of the pool.  These are egregious offenses.  I think we should know that.

We, the members of scouter.com, include scouts as well as scouters. The content is public, the link has been published, and IMHO the decision to view should be left to the individual member.

Legally aren't these numbers criminal allegations? How many were criminal convictions?

Those were my thoughts in moderating that post.

RS

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

If you just look at the worst offenses, the type of sins Charlton Heston would throw stone tablets at you for, that alone would be enough to bury BSA.  

Edited by David CO
4 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Legally aren't these numbers criminal allegations? How many were criminal convictions?

That's a good point.  But BSA could be found liable in a civil suit even if some instances of abuse didn't result in a criminal conviction.  It still effects the bankruptcy.

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

Understand and it’s your call. I had no way whatsoever to know your thoughts or predilections. Apologies, nonetheless.

And, yes, it is explicit. And, yes, I believe not staring it straight in the eye is part of the problem. And, yes, that little chart represents a huge part of my Scouting life. Monetized and sterilized words on a page.

Edited by ThenNow
Moving too fast...