Chapter 11 announced

39 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Is it still a drop off and go deal?

For about 50% of our Scouts it is.  About 25% of parents hang around and talk, but don't contribute.  The other 20-25% are the ones who are really helping, mentoring, teaching, driving, camping, etc.

Pareto principle at work... or

More like Price's Law ;)

https://dariusforoux.com/prices-law/

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

Wondering how they are going to verify if an individual was even in Scouts when the incident occurred.

I found my BSA ID from when I was a Youth and contacted the Council registrar to see if my IDs could be merged, just because.. I guess. :)

Anyway, they told me they didnt retain any records from even the 80s, so there was no way.

1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Wondering how they are going to verify if an individual was even in Scouts when the incident occurred.

At one point several years ago, I contact my LC to see if they had a list during my period of Scouting. I was just interested in refreshing my memory and to see who among my younger brothers’ group had joined. Stiff arm.

In contrast, in late 2019 when I decided to join NESA as a part of my healing (a big deal for me), they found me pronto. I got all my trinkets in short order. As you will note, my timing is not particularly great. The fecal matter hit the wind machine a few short months after I challenged myself to, “let the healing begin.” Can you say, retrograde motion?

I should add, the decision to reengage was received with disbelief by most. Not many "Well, good for you!" comments. "Are you sure?!" and "Have you lost your _____ mind," echoed through the trees down on the farm. 

Edited by ThenNow
24 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

At one point several years ago, I contact my LC to see if they had a list during my period of Scouting. I was just interested in refreshing my memory and to see who among my younger brothers’ group had joined. Stiff arm.

In contrast, in late 2019 when I decided to join NESA as a part of my healing (a big deal for me), they found me pronto. I got all my trinkets in short order. As you will note, my timing is not particularly great. The fecal matter hit the wind machine a few short months after I challenged myself to, “let the healing begin.” Can you say, retrograde motion?

I should add, the decision to reengage was received with disbelief by most. Not many "Well, good for you!" comments. "Are you sure?!" and "Have you lost your _____ mind," echoed through the trees down on the farm. 

Different databases.  Your local council records could have been destroyed as in a fire or expensive and difficult to access.  Our council had a fire a long time ago and some records were lost.  Like most councils, older records are stored with a records storage company and accessing those records takes time and costs the council.  Some councils absorb such costs while others charge.  They may have a policy about the reasons that are considered reasonable to access records.  The paper record keeping before computer databases is known in general to have more issues with completeness.

The rank of Eagle Scout is awarded by the National Council, not the local council.  An Eagle rank advancement is filed by the local council to the National Council who verifies dates, ranks, et cetera.  National keeps its own record of Eagles and, to my knowledge, those records have never been destroyed.  Most (all, I believe) of the National records were digitized some time ago. 

So requesting membership in NESA was easy to verify.  Providing local information, more difficult.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, vol_scouter said:

So requesting membership in NESA was easy to verify.  Providing local information, more difficult.

Righto.

I'm pretty sure they still have them. My sense. The stiff arm was a no reply. I was also contrasting the two as a segue into my little personal story. Truth is, I think the silence from the LC was about the case and they were already circling the wagons. They are fully lawyered up. I believe they knew this was coming and were aware of the abuse, or rumors of it, even if not officially reported. I started poking around in 2002-2003. I can't go into greater detail here. 

I am wondering if LC's are starting to realize that they will have to contribute significantly to the settlement. Just viewing several area councils websites there is no mention of anything about the lawsuit other that the initial letter when BSA national filed for bankruptcy. 

I am interested if anyone has LC that is trying to raise funds and realizes they will have to pay. 

24 minutes ago, 1980Scouter said:

I am wondering if LC's are starting to realize that they will have to contribute significantly to the settlement. Just viewing several area councils websites there is no mention of anything about the lawsuit other that the initial letter when BSA national filed for bankruptcy. 

I am interested if anyone has LC that is trying to raise funds and realizes they will have to pay. 

LCs can't publicly mention anything is wrong due to directive from National.

OR

LCs are still in the denial stage of grieving 

OR

If LCs start publicly distributing information about the severity of what is going on current families start jumping ship AND recruitment in the fall is DOA.

I think 3 is the biggie.

Edited by 5thGenTexan
1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

LCs can't publicly mention anything is wrong due to directive from National.

OR

LCs are still in the denial stage of grieving 

OR

If LCs start publicly distributing information about the severity of what is going on current families start jumping ship AND recruitment in the fall is DOA.

I think 3 is the biggie.

All the above??

44 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

The $580,000 amount (from sale of Glacier Edge Council camp, contributed to Victims Fund)  "was determined by the national organization based on the number of victims in the area (95?), available assets and when the abuse occurred, among other factors".

so about $6K/victim ... from local council?  Coincidence?

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

The $580,000 amount (from sale of Glacier Edge Council camp, contributed to Victims Fund)  "was determined by the national organization based on the number of victims in the area (95?), available assets and when the abuse occurred, among other factors".

so about $6K/victim ... from local council?  Coincidence?

Sounds like that is not going to be enough if the plan was rejected though? 

3 hours ago, yknot said:

Sounds like that is not going to be enough if the plan was rejected though? 

I’m thinking not. Is there really a sense that this was the directed multiplier to arrive at $6000 per survivor?

11 hours ago, jr56 said:

Each victim gets about 6k,   the lawyers get about 5k,  the perverts who committed these terrible acts go unpunished,  and future generations of american youth are abused by being deprived of a scouting program.

A few things:

1) It’s ultimately going to be much more than that amount, if the BSA is to emerge from this. You’re right. The attorneys will do very well at 40%, for sure. I may be stupid, but I am not giving away that kind of money. I’m doing this is for my family and will fight my own battle, as best I can. (Thankfully, another survivor claimant has allowed me to talk with him about the case and it is a huge blessing to me. A godsend.);

2) Some, hopeful many, will face public humiliation, but I agree that’s not enough. As for me, I’ve tried to put him in prison for almost 20 years. No justice there; and

3) All who’ve read my posts know I sympathize and it pains me, but are any young volunteers stepping forward to swap places with us? “Abuse” for abuse? They’re not and thank God they can’t. Part of our end goal is to up the ante on making sure sexual abuse of children happens as little as humanly possible to their benefit, I believe.

Edited by ThenNow