Chapter 11 announced

34 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I won't post who posted it, but statements bordering on threats are popping up on FB,

"If you are not part of the process and on regular calls with the Ad Hoc Committee on this, PLEASE do not keep posting the "what ifs" on this site!!"

I agree.  Post them here.

• Haha 3
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

3/18/2021:

DEBTORS’ THIRD MOTION FOR ENTRY OF AN ORDER EXTENDING THE DEBTORS’ EXCLUSIVE PERIODS TO FILE A CHAPTER 11 PLAN AND SOLICIT ACCEPTANCES THEREOF

"The exclusive period for the Debtors to file a chapter 11 plan is hereby extended by approximately 152 days, to and including August 18, 2021. The period during which the Debtors have the exclusive right to solicit acceptances thereof is hereby extended by approximately 153 days, to and including October 18, 2021."

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/882718_2411.pdf

“has had an unforeseen and pronounced negative effect on the Debtors’ operations, including an 81% membership recruitment decline in 2020 attributable to school closures and social distancing measures.”

3/17/2021:

"Under a pact approved Wednesday in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., lawsuits can be filed against the local councils that hold the bulk of the Boy Scouts wealth, but the litigation won’t progress until mid-July. The trade off is that survivors’ lawyers will receive detailed roster data needed to identify local councils and other organizations that chartered individual troops where the sexual abuse took place."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/local-boy-scouts-councils-agree-to-cooperate-on-abuse-victims-probe-11616017053

Some IMHOs:

1. We cannot say we will run out of money in August and then ask for an extension past that date.

2.  We (and survivors) do not want the litigation spreading to our councils whether they still exist or are absorbed into National this summer.

3. The excuses given regarding the incomplete Mar 1, "Revised Plan" would not sway my high school literature teacher.

4. Following her thought "bring a toothbrush", I hope the judge sequesters the "relevant" parties into a room to amend the incomplete, problematic Mar 1, "Revised Plan" into a complete, acceptable "Compromise Plan" by May 1. There will be no extensions. If a "Compromise Plan" is not accepted, the alternatives for the Debtor are to exit bankruptcy or liquidate. 

By "relevant parties",  some parties are not or worse publicly disagree with the judge stated outcome that the BSA should continue its mission. They can brush at home.

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

We (and survivors) do not want the litigation spreading to our councils whether they still exist or are absorbed into National this summer.

I agree. I realize the lurking White-Bearded Shark says differently, but we know almost 60,000 of the (current) pool of survivor claims derive from closed states. Granted, many who filed claims by "absentee ballot" may be unaware of what's what, but getting kicked to state court is not a good result for the vast number of us. My state has pending SoL "reform" legislation, but many do not. Even given that legislation, it's far from a guarantee of change any time soon.

As for me and my house, I really want this to work. Foolishly or not, I feel like it can, it should and it will.

Edited by ThenNow
Typoz
46 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I hope the judge sequesters the "relevant" parties into a room to amend the incomplete, problematic Mar 1, "Revised Plan" into a complete, acceptable "Compromise Plan" by May 1. There will be no extensions. If a "Compromise Plan" is not accepted, the alternatives for the Debtor are to exit bankruptcy or liquidate.

I don't see this happening, given the sum and (lack of) substance at Wednesday's hearing. I think the TCC is heading for the estimation trial to get relative clarity on the aggregate dollar value, which can then drive people to the table. Currently, there is nothing to compel anyone anywhere, and the judge was basically just admonishing. I don't see a belly up to the bar and show your cards moment happening "voluntarily" in the near term. Not from what I heard and saw. The more I look into it, the more I like estimation. I don't mean for me as a claimant, necessarily, but as a "Solomon and the baby" moment. Let's see who twitches, blinks and tells.

7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

The "estimation trial" seems a formality as both sides have completed professional, third-party appraisals of National HA and local council properties. Split difference and you have estimate.

Yes. Asset valuations. But, that's only half of the equation. This is about valuing the claims, which would inform what's "needed" from those assets to make a deal. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

The "estimation trial" seems a formality as both sides have completed professional, third-party appraisals of National HA and local council properties. Split difference and you have estimate.

If you read the motion papers, ASSET estimation isn't even listed. The focus is entirely on the amount/value of the sexual abuse claims.

The proceeding is for an "Estimation of Personal Injury Claims".

This has 0 to do with properties.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

1. We cannot say we will run out of money in August and then ask for an extension past that date.

Even if run out of money is true, that refers (I believe) to BSA cashflow/cash on hand.

For example, I could see BSA saying that it ran out of cash on hand in August and then had to

1. stop paying its current bills in order to fund the bankruptcy proceeding
  2. had to take out a loan
  3. had to sell items NOW to pay for the proceeding. For example, the University of Scouting building gets sold this summer and rather than the proceeds going into some Settlement Fund it now goes direct to pay the legal bills.

This is something I plan on asking some bankruptcy lawyers I worked with back in the day: what happens if the debtor in a bankruptcy proceeding cannot afford to stay in bankruptcy.

One possibility is that the TCC attorneys and the BSA attorneys become a class of creditors in their own rights

14 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Thank you both for schooling me on "estimation trial".

"There are no stupid questions," as they used to tell us. We all benefited from DLL's excellent explanation. 

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, DavidLeeLambert said:

the "estimation" would be for.

Do you have any more detailed knowledge of the inner workings of past cases? I note that a few are month-long trials and we have a massive case, comparatively.