Chapter 11 announced

So which political issues is it OK to support as a unit function?  In the last four years, Scout troops have marched for gay rights and , open borders.  Scouting in Uniform have attended Trump rallies.  BSA officially and expressly endorsed Black Lives Matter.  Rules not enforced are not rules.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

So which political issues is it OK to support as a unit function?  In the last four years, Scout troops have marched for gay rights and , open borders.  Scouting in Uniform have attended Trump rallies.  BSA officially and expressly endorsed Black Lives Matter.  Rules not enforced are not rules.

I think it is OK for scout units to attend just about anything.  They just have to be careful not to imply BSA support of the social/political cause.  No uniforms.  No logos.  No press releases saying BSA Troop 123 attended the rally.  

BSA is fighting for its life.  I think they have chosen the worst possible time to oppose and oppress the Chartered Organizations.  BSA has alienated its staunchest supporters right when it needs them the most.

I think you are correct de facto, although the uniforced rule states:

Policy on Scout Participation in Political Events

Uniformed unit members and leaders may participate in flag ceremonies at political events and may lead the Pledge of Allegiance; however, they should retire after the ceremony and not remain on the speakers’ platform or in a conspicuous location where attendees or viewers could construe their presence as an endorsement or symbol of support. In addition, photos of candidates or Scouts in uniform or with BSA marks and logos are not allowed in political campaign materials of any kind.

• Upvote 2

This is what I was talking about, but unfortunately it was not done extremely well. This impassioned appeal to Judge Silverstein was entered into the court record. I think it has value and I guess he felt it was worth his time and effort. If it shows up in the docket, the press sees it.

Ok. I promised to shut up. Take a look if you'd like.

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/880427_2372.pdf

Edited by ThenNow
  • Thanks 2

So I don't duplicate, has the 3.7.21 USA Today piece been posted here? I had not read it through to the end and found their research on assets and values to be helpful. I hadn't seen it anywhere else, though I certainly could've missed it.  

8 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

So I don't duplicate, has the 3.7.21 USA Today piece been posted here? I had not read it through to the end and found their research on assets and values to be helpful. I hadn't seen it anywhere else, though I certainly could've missed it.  

It was ... probably 50+ pages back.  It really goes to the heart of the issue.  Lack of transparency and trust.  BSA's #1 goal should be building the trust of the TCC & court through full transparency.  Unfortunately, National BSA has issues with transparency & trust so I expect we are headed to a cliff.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

It really goes to the heart of the issue.  Lack of transparency and trust.

It's an excellent piece, in terms of covering the breadth of issues and delving into the asset valuations. I'm surprised other pub's didn't do that analysis. 

2 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

It's an excellent piece, in terms of covering the breadth of issues and delving into the asset valuations. I'm surprised other pub's didn't do that analysis. 

I believe the Wall Street Journal & NY TImes have done similar stories.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boy-scouts-bankruptcy-roiled-by-suspicions-about-asset-transfers-11594325864

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/us/boy-scouts-bankruptcy-assets.html

14 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I believe the Wall Street Journal & NY TImes have done similar stories.  

Yup. Thanks. I guess I was referring to the specifics mentioned by USA Today that I hadn't seen others include. Too many publications!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Any "BIG" decisions or are those coming in the April hearing?

The ruling on the insurers' discovery requests are on the top of my interest list, though it's full day (per RS's link).

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

The ruling on the insurers' discovery requests are on the top of my interest list, though it's full day (per RS's link).

My guess ... deferred.  TCC gave the BSA until July? before they push for lawsuits against LCs.  In return, councils must provide details on membership roles, summer camps, units, etc.  TCC can then use this data (and time) to help clean up the claims list.  I wonder if TCC self audits (as they already seemed to have) and identifies possible issues with some claims.

I don't see the judge allowing discovery during that process.  She may just say, lets see where that list is at in August and see if discovery is warranted. 

Too many moving parts otherwise.

Just a guess....

1 minute ago, ThenNow said:

Yep. And the real question is which set?

1) Discovery requests as to claimants. The insurers were (I say were) asking for an order a) allowing them to serve document discovery on 1400 abuse claimants that they have already randomly selected, and b) to depose up to 100 claimants from that group seeking more information.

2) Discovery requests as to the lawyers. They want to crawl into Kosnoff, AIS, and the Coalition regarding a) what is the real relationship here between these entities and funders and b) the process where certain counsel were "machine-gun style" signing hundreds of claims.

3) Both?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

And the real question is which set?

Personally, I hope she allows some of the inquiry now, specifically into the process issues. I see the info and data flowing to the TCC for their review of assets and to help remedy defective/deficient claims as a separate track. Insurers directly confronting claimants? Not sure I see that happening at all. Dunno.