Chapter 11 announced

7 minutes ago, 1980Scouter said:

I am am eagle scout and feel ashamed to be a part of this organization.

Remember, there really is no such thing as an "organization."  It was, and is, people.  There were people who made poor decisions (hindsight is 20/20) regarding the abuse that was happening.  Now, different people, the vast majority of whom had nothing to do with the matter, will pay for those poor decisions.  

I am not ashamed at having been a Scout, nor at being an Eagle Scout and Scouter now.

And, unless your conduct was questionable in the matter, why are you ashamed?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

In case anyone is interested, the TCC, in preparation for tonight's Town Hall, just posted its summary of sexual abuse claims.    From TCCBSA.COM :

http://www.pszjlaw.com/assets/htmldocuments/BSA Summary of Sexual Abuse Claims.pdf

This helps lend context to much and also the view of the effectiveness of YPT.  Please remember that it often takes decades for victims to come forward and declining numbers are not necessarily an indication of effectiveness, but rather the reality of men not prepared to address their abuse at a young age. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, 1980Scouter said:

Good post on the TCC. I hope they secure adequate compensation for survivors and enhanced youth protection. In my eyes the BSA is done. I am am eagle scout and feel ashamed to be a part of this organization.

Thanks (assuming you're talking to me).

I understand that sentiment. In the name of full disclosure, I'm an abuse survivor in this case. For years I've grappled with the pride I have in my Scouting accomplishments (Eagle, Vigil Honor, Medals, OA Officer...) and my utter despair and disgust at what happened to me and others. It was all compounded by too many disclosures and discovers after the fact. If you want to read more about my experience, feel free and invited. Perhaps you've been following along. I don't say that to put a light on me, just so you understand the depth and duration of my struggle. 

A friend and attorney asked me how in the name of anything anyone swears on or by could I be proud of having been in Scouting, high achieving or not. I had to take a moment, not many. I finally told him, with tears in my eyes, because I was proud of myself for persevering, for the good and fun things I experienced with guys I loved and a few I admired, and for the things I learned, the boys I taught, helped and lead.

Many if not most of the men here lived in a Scouting world as far away from my as OZ from Kansas. Although I knew guys from healthy Troops, there were few I knew well. I still struggle and have a great deal of anger, some of which won't be resolved until the BSA steps up on several scores. Until then, I still have my medals, important patches, sashes, my draft Eagle application and other sundries. I live in two worlds. Sometimes the pull is very difficult. Perhaps most times. Other times, I think of something funny or find myself in a situation where I am telling my sons or anyone, "I learned that in Scouting." Maybe that will help you. Hope so.

11 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

In case anyone is interested, the TCC, in preparation for tonight's Town Hall, just posted its summary of sexual abuse claims.    From TCCBSA.COM :

http://www.pszjlaw.com/assets/htmldocuments/BSA Summary of Sexual Abuse Claims.pdf

This helps lend context to much and also the view of the effectiveness of YPT.  Please remember that it often takes decades for victims to come forward and declining numbers are not necessarily an indication of effectiveness, but rather the reality of men not prepared to address their abuse at a young age. 

There are more claims here against the Catholic Church than all of their bankruptcy settlements combined.  Most councils have appear to have enough claims to drive them into bankruptcy if court cases can proceed (depending on their state).  It would be interesting to see claims by year by council.  COs as well.

Over 3,000 claims in the 2000s.  Many of these are recent enough to pursue criminal charges.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

Good point.

2 hours ago, 1980Scouter said:

Good post on the TCC. I hope they secure adequate compensation for survivors and enhanced youth protection. In my eyes the BSA is done. I am am eagle scout and feel ashamed to be a part of this organization.

You might want to be ashamed of police, schools, churches, police and most people you meet on the street then.

Here's a cheerful recent read.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/05/08/sex-assaults-in-high-school-sports-minimized-as-hazing

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MYCVAStory said:

Thank you. I will say one number that stands out is 39,177. That's the number of claims where the council is unknown or missing.

One of the biggest hurdles as I understand it is a) Councils not willing to pay or not wanting to pay into any settlement AND b) that the formula for how much each Council will pay is based, in part, on how many claims are in that Council.

With almost half of all claims "Council unknown" I cannot image how you calculate a Council's contribution to a settlement. That number is going to have to come way, way down I would think before LCs start to talk payments.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

Over 3,000 claims in the 2000s.  Many of these are recent enough to pursue criminal charges.

Except that the threshold for criminal charges is higher than what would be necessary for a civil suit against these councils.

And even if the individual abuser was convicted, that doesn't give the Council a get-out-of-liability-free card.

TCC will ask court permission to sue JP Morgan over their loans as they have legal issues (for example Philmont).

TCC is not interested in the future of the BSA.  Their job is to maximize the payout.  However, they plan to require the BSA to release their ineligible volunteer list.

They are recommending each individual to prepare and start filing lawsuits against:

• COs
  • LCs
  • Individuals

April 15 will likely end up not even approving the plan for a vote ... far too many issues.

They have worked with 18 sex abuse bankruptcies .. there have been 0 cramdowns.  Judges do not do that to sex abuse claimants.  So, essentially, the bankruptcy will only be accepted when 66% of the claimants approve.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

They have worked with 18 sex abuse bankruptcies .. there have been 0 cramdowns.  Judges do not do that to sex abuse claimants.  So, essentially, the bankruptcy will only be accepted when 66% of the claimants approve.

And Kosnoff controls enough votes to ensure that never, ever happens other than liquidation.

It's over.

Dont think because there is a bunch of NAs the data doesn’t exist.  Many claims have the details just in the wrong fields and they are working through that.  Expect council and CO claims to increase.

Minimum payment of plan must be at least equal to liquidation of BSA.  So they are comparing plan to total liquidation of the BSA and the plan must meet that at minimum.  Their accountants are working through that now.

Creditors cannot force a non profit into chapter 7.  The court cannot convert to chapter 7.  BSA can convert it on its own.  Bankruptcy case can be dismissed which means each individual can sue BSA individually. 

They spent time telling individuals how to obtain counsel.   Get ready for a wave of CO and LC lawsuits this summer.