Chapter 11 announced

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Nothing wrong with the idea of tort reform.  But let's be clear, the lawyers in these cases are operating inside the system created by politicians.  

I wasn't saying otherwise. I just would like the politicians to see the mess that is their responsibility. And it's bipartisan.

1 hour ago, walk in the woods said:

Nothing wrong with the idea of tort reform.  But let's be clear, the lawyers in these cases are operating inside the system created by politicians.  

and a high percentage of politicians are lawyers.

• Upvote 1

Is placing blame really doing anything?

While a lot of politicians may be lawyers (I don't know if that's true anymore), all judges are lawyers and it's those lawyers that are keeping our democracy together right now. It's also a lawyer, the judge in this chapter 11 case, that will decide the BSA's fate.

2 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

95,000 claims? If BSA's insurance challenged all of them, neither side could afford the process, I assume. If there's a settlement, I assume it would be distributed to all the claimants without much examination of the validity of each claim.

If that's the case, no pun intended, how can anyone not think we need to massively change our tort system.

Actually this is not fully true.  The plan is that there will be a large pot of $.  Once there is agreement on the size of the settlement, there is a panel that will decide what each victim gets.  That will vary by the length of time since the action & severity of the incident.  There will be vetting of the claims, but given the age of many of these, I'm not sure how much vetting could take place.

I'm not arguing against tort reform (I think there should be reform & statue of limitations should be in place). 

• Upvote 1
On 11/21/2020 at 11:33 AM, skeptic said:

I know I am barking at the moon, but at least it takes it out of my craw for the moment.  Reality is that in our current society there is no win/win, only uneven retribution for the sake of retribution and grudges.

I know an Eagle Scout, a Vigil Honor (from youth membership) of the Order.  He was, in adulthood, a pedophile, convicted in US District Court. At the time, he was an ASM, a scout camp commissioner, and a camp master. Let us not deny we had wolves amongst us, sadly. 

Having fixed my post, I deleted your request. 

Edited by John-in-KC
On 11/20/2020 at 2:55 PM, skeptic said:

They cast aspersions on the entire program based on a different era

I disagree with most of what you are saying, but I do agree that it was a different era.  Attitudes were once very different than they are today.

One of the most successful movies of 1971 was Summer of 42.  No matter how beautiful the music and photography was, it is hard to get past the fact that it was about a 14 year old boy who has a sexual encounter with an emotionally damaged war widow.  At the time, many called it a coming-of-age film.  I saw it as a child molestation movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, David CO said:

I disagree with most of what you are saying, but I do agree that it was a different era.  Attitudes were once very different than they are today.

One of the most successful movies of 1971 was Summer of 42.  No matter how beautiful the music and photography was, it is hard to get past the fact that it was about a 14 year old boy who has a sexual encounter with an emotionally damaged war widow.  At the time, many called it a coming-of-age film.  I saw it as a child molestation movie.

When this movie was released, I was in high school which is a much different viewpoint than now.  Had not thought about the film for many years but I totally agree with you.  This is not a coming of age movie but sexual molestation.  Society and its leaders justify what they they personally like and condemn what they do not.  It is not consistent nor rational.

9 minutes ago, vol_scouter said:

When this movie was released, I was in high school which is a much different viewpoint than now.  Had not thought about the film for many years but I totally agree with you.  This is not a coming of age movie but sexual molestation.  Society and its leaders justify what they they personally like and condemn what they do not.  It is not consistent nor rational.

And it is not difficult to find numerous similar representations that are lauded, and partly because they are real life.  Life and society as a whole is often dark and mean, or selfish and too often accepts the worst of itself as okay, especially in the "entertainment" industries, which includes sports, both actual professional and the pseudo college teams.  Finding our way through and around the mazes of a hypocritical world is a challenge, and it is one that Scouting attempts to navigate, in spite of the numerous crossed branches in the roads and trails.

• Upvote 1

It hits the same fan . . . 

Opinion | After a jaw-dropping abuse scandal, should the Boy Scouts survive? - The Washington Post

"" It is notable that the alleged abuse spans the better part of a century: One claim was filed by an 8-year-old boy; another by a 93-year-old man. Most of the claims arose from cases alleged to have occurred decades ago.""

2 hours ago, SSScout said:

It hits the same fan . . . 

Opinion | After a jaw-dropping abuse scandal, should the Boy Scouts survive? - The Washington Post

"" It is notable that the alleged abuse spans the better part of a century: One claim was filed by an 8-year-old boy; another by a 93-year-old man. Most of the claims arose from cases alleged to have occurred decades ago.""

Due to the commenters on the website suggest we abolish public education too? https://abc7.com/child-sex-abuse-sexual-misconduct-lausd-los-angeles-unified-school-district/5855667/. Hold organizations, leaders and administrators accountable, yes. 

Edited by Sentinel947
46 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Due to the commenters on the website suggest we abolish public education too?

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that we abolish public education.  I'm not worried about that happening.  I am a little concerned that distance education may become seen by many public school districts as a practical alternative to face-to-face learning.

59 minutes ago, David CO said:

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that we abolish public education.  I'm not worried about that happening.  I am a little concerned that distance education may become seen by many public school districts as a practical alternative to face-to-face learning.

I was being facetious. Since commenters on the Wapo article were calling for the BSA to be abolished. If every organization that failed to handle sexual abuse of minors historically was abolished, there would be no youth serving organizations left.