Chapter 11 announced

3/4/20:  The U.S. Trustees Office formed two committees. The U.S. Trustee program is the arm of the Justice Department that oversees bankruptcy case administration and litigates to enforce bankruptcy laws.

- committee to represent victims.  Nine men who say they were sexually abused as children were selected to serve on the committee after nearly eight hours of closed-door interviews by representatives of the U.S. trustee's office. "The most difficult decision we had to make today was who not to put on the committee," David Buchbinder, a trial attorney with the trustees office, told a packed room of abuse survivors and attorneys. "We admire the courage of every single one of you."

- committee to represent the interests of other unsecured creditors, such as suppliers, vendors and pensioners. Members of that committee are the Girl Scouts of America, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., Pearson Education, former BSA executive Roger Ohmstede, and Lion Brothers, an apparel brand manufacturer that provides merit badges and patches.

More at source link:

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2020-03-04/panel-chosen-to-represent-victims-in-boy-scouts-bankruptcy

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

3/4/20:

Initial Monthly Operating report - cash flow projection, insurance coverage, bank accounts (page 26-27),  funds flow diagram (page 29)

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/804529_139.pdf

Legal representation for the Ad Hoc Committee of Local Councils ("Local Council Committee" ) which consists of the following local councils: (1) Andrew Jackson Council; (2) Atlanta Area Council; (3) Crossroads of America Council; (4) Denver Area Council; (5) Grand Canyon Council; (6) Greater New York Councils; (7) Mid-America Council; and (8) Minsi Trails Council.

Footnote:  counsel does not have actual or apparent authority to obligate any member of the Local Council Committee or any other local council of the Boy Scouts of America. Neither the Local Council Committee nor any of its members are fiduciaries for any other local council of the Boy Scouts of America.

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/804005_135.pdf

BSA request a Supplement to Motion for Entry of Interim and Final Orders  to address "Pooled Income Funds". (explained on page 4)

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/804329_134.pdf

Edited by RememberSchiff
1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

GSA is an unsecured creditor? who knew.

Cookies for the gang in Dallas...tons of cookies.  Those Thin Mints and Samoas aren't eating themselves

On 3/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, dkurtenbach said:

... So I'd suggest the program consist of no more than four "core" areas -- or rather, Service plus three subject-matter areas, for example:

• Outdoor Adventure
  • Environment and Nature
  • Emergency Response
  • Service and Citizenship

Still too complex. I can name organizations that have each of these or two or three in combination. In this al la carte society, wasting your 15 seconds on things parents can "purchase" singly for their kids gets you nowhere.

My "fast pitch" based on integrating our previous discussions:

• We guide young people to be truly epic citizens by inculcating a vision of the pinnacle scouting experience of hiking and camping independently with their mates. In inspiring them thusly, they learn to love one another in their community, country, and the world, to cherish our land, and to forestall death.
  • 10 seconds, I timed it.

Or just stick with the congressional charter [with one small insertion]

• We promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys [and like-minded girls] to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916.
  • 15 seconds

Maybe too short and pithy the aims:

• Character, Fitness, Citizenship, and (new since 2018) Leadership

"Subject-matter" areas are ancillary. We have 136 of them that scouts unlock as they mature from Cubs, to Scouts, and beyond to Venturers, Sea Scouts, and Exploring.

The crux of the matter: can national keep creditors at bay while maintaining these aims? Can anyone maintain youth-facing aims without the threat of litigation over the misdeeds of others?

6 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

committee to represent the interests of other unsecured creditors,

Too bad there's not a committee to represent current scouts.

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

and to forestall death. 

You're probably not in marketing? ;)

Look at it from the parents' view. We use fun and adventure in the outdoors to help youth become responsible, active, caring adults.

4 minutes ago, MattR said:

Too bad there's not a committee to represent current scouts.

It was unclear to me whether the first committee would also represent scouts who were victims of other injuries, e.g., dehydration,  car accidents, ... I am also puzzled by the use of term "survivor" instead of "victim" in documents.

Hello All!

First post for me...☺️

Wondering if you could help me understand something???...I see Arrow WV named in the Chap 11 filing.  When I went to Charity Navigator and pulled up their IRS 990 from 2017 (for example), it names Surbaugh as VP and Director, with reportable compensation of $624,714 (page 7 of 45).  When I check BSA National's for same year, it lists Surbaugh with exactly the same compensation (on page 26 of 111).   Any corporate finance gurus out there explain that?  Looks strange to me...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

The Boy Scouts of America was a private organization where a member had to file an application and pay a fee to belong.  It was a group of individuals with similar ideals, moral conscious, and like beliefs.  The members grouped together in agreement to uphold these standards and follow the dictates of the organization.  Simply put, they liked to hang out because they enjoyed the same things.  This is the same thing as an avid bowler joining a bowling team.  Someone on some committee decided that it didn't matter wether or not the rules and policies established for the members were followed because they were unpopular.  The rules were watered down, changed, or just completly done away with allowing anyone into this private club resulting in many of the private members to quit because they no longer associated with people who liked the same things.  This is similar to the avid bowler joining a hockey team and then bowling using the hockey team rules.  So here we are........bowling with hockey team rules.  This makes perfect sense me.

• Confused 1