Chapter 11 announced

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is legally right is not always morally right.

I would encourage everyone to not ask @ThenNow to rehash particular circumstances. They can be found by patiently browsing his posts. From what I read, they were far from legal. His claim would have b

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, David CO said:

Has the WOSM made any public statement about the BSA bankruptcy?  

That's not how the WOSM works ... I bet it will be concerned when sales of the world-crest drop.

3 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

BPSA It was started in the US in 2006 and in 2016 had 1,600 members.

This is exactly my point.

Organizations who don't have a congressional charter aren't obligated to report their membership statistics publicly. They have nice web pages, but are shy on stats. They do talk the YP talk.

But, let's not be so optimistic. A sinking tide grounds all boats. The massive liners first, then the smaller ones, down to the last dingy. One claim against an independent scouting organization, just one, will make it as much a target for punitive damages ... more so because they should have "learned" from our supposedly failed practices.

Eventually, as I said earlier, it will be reasonable to sue the institution of the family as a whole for not protecting our citizens completely.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I'm skeptical.  In my 10 years of recruiting kids, never once have I heard - are you a member of WOSM?

That's because if families care,  they will know that information without asking you.    I thought the WOSM connection was a benefit when comparing BSA to BPSA.   I also thought that a local council and local camps and name recogniztion were a big benefit when comparing BSA to BPSA.

7 hours ago, David CO said:

That's because we can't.  If we had the power to do that, it would have been done years ago, and BSA would not be in the mess it is in today.  The executive board and the employees are going to try to hang on right to the end.  They won't give up their control of BSA until the lights go out.

again.....your do realize the bankruptcy is about sexual abuse cases, right? 

51 minutes ago, codger said:

There is nothing moral about taking from the innocents of today, and the future, to give to victims of the past. 

I think we agree on this.  There should be a better way.  The victims of the past should have been given justice many years ago.  They weren't.  The executive board and the employees were (and still are) more concerned with keeping their secrets and hiding their complicity than with giving justice to the victims.  

8 minutes ago, David CO said:

I think we agree on this.  There should be a better way.  The victims of the past should have been given justice many years ago.  They weren't.  The executive board and the employees were (and still are) more concerned with keeping their secrets and hiding their complicity than with giving justice to the victims.  

You're the one who keeps calling on Charter Organizations to have complete control. If that's the case, then they need to foot the bill for Victim Compensation. Somewhere, a long time ago, those adults were approved to be leaders by a Charter 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

You're the one who keeps calling on Charter Organizations to have complete control. If that's the case, then they need to foot the bill for Victim Compensation. Somewhere, a long time ago, those adults were approved to be leaders by a Charter 

Fair enough.  If it is shown that Chartered Organizations knew of the abuse and covered it up, my guess is that they will be included in the lawsuits.  I not only think that this is a possibility, it is a likelihood.  

Yes, I do think Chartered Organizations should be actively involved in their units.  They should carefully select the leaders and properly supervise them.  The Chartered Organization owns the unit.  

3 hours ago, codger said:

Frankly, I am very frustrated that the "natural" response from 90% of the commentators, Scouts, victims and Scouting volunteers is to automatically assert that the natural remedy to heinous crimes of abuse committed by, in some cases, people that are dead or long since removed from their positions within Scouting, is to take money from todays' innocent children and volunteers and give it to the victims.  There is nothing moral about taking from the innocents of today, and the future, to give to victims of the past.  Nothing moral at all.  I get anger on the part of the victims, and a desire to shut down the organization, but I don't get why money salves the conscience of the current volunteer leadership.  yet Turley's letter seems to me to be an admission that we should just give it all to the alleged victims, and then everything will be ok.  Well, I never abused anyone, and I resent being asked through ever-increasing financial demands of the organization to subsidize bad actors of the past. 

This is a big part of the problem.  No-one publicly wants to describe the situation in these terms - to do so puts one in the position of being against the victims of abuse.  No one wants that label.